will Washington state issue temporary plate - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Totally great recommendation, about Shasta. I was literally considering to get the escape, do a dry run camp one night near the border to make sure things are hunky dory, then make a dash down to shasta to 'get legal' before going all the way back to BC to continue our trip. But I may chance it with the bill
of sale alone.
it is a LONG drive down to Mt Shasta, all in all,

I can't advise you on just using the Bill of Sale...

and.... if for some reason they can't hand you plates the same day at Mt Shasta, they give you a temporary registration red paper to put in your rear window,

however on the awning thermal windows (2017) they are so tinted you can't see the registration paper if it is taped to the back window.... so perhaps why bother?

you'd have all your paperwork from the importation with you....

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I know some are just towing home with no tags. But I don't think they really understand what could happen. God forbid you have unforeseen accident
I was quite worried when I brought mine home without a plate on it and it was only a 3 hour drive. I figured I'd tell any Stater that pulled me over I had just got it, couldn't get a plate until hubby came home from being out of the country (we're both on the title, so we both had to be there to register it) and hope for the best. As well as showing my paperwork proving I had just picked it up.

I really don't know what I would have done if I lived in a state where I couldn't get a plate beforehand. Well, I do. The same as what I did and hope for the best.

Good luck!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
... I called the vehicle licensing office in Lynden (8130 Guide Meridian, 360-354-8080) and they will issue a 3 day permit. You can buy several. We play to buy 3 to give us 9 days to get home and mess around a bit. I'm not anxious to be stopped without some kind of registration. With the new administration no telling if future higher import taxes or regulations will hinder future buyers. Let's hope not (I'm not trying to be political).
Interesting you can get multiple 3-day passes. That would probably work for quite a few people.

And you're not being political - just realistic. Dirk and I were just commenting the other day that we got our trailer at a really good time. The Canadian to US dollar exchange rate was great (for us) and we didn't have to worry about higher import fees that will probably come soon.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why does one think that these passes are valid outside of Washington? Ordered one years ago in the mail and they are merely cardboard temporary plates for that state? No registration nor fees paid, no paper work, other than $30 receipt.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why does one think that these passes are valid outside of Washington? Ordered one years ago in the mail and they are merely cardboard temporary plates for that state? No registration nor fees paid, no paper work, other than $30 receipt.
Yeah, I specifically remember that they were not valid outside Washington. But it could be that changed? I couldn't find it in the info on the dol.wa.gov site. But I recall chancing it on not having one for Oregon as I went south.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ok, how about this, has anyone here on the Forum ever reported being ticketed for not having a license plate, when they were on their way home?

If one's own state will not issue it until it is back in that state, and you have the paperwork to show that the trailer was just purchased, what is the actual likelihood that the police in another state are going to ticket you?

I have yet to see anyone post here who has had anything more than having their paperwork checked and then explained their situation to the officer. Maybe if someone is a smarta$$ to the cop something might happen, but all of them I've known have been decent people not looking to hassle people for no reason.

Border guards would have no jurisdiction on license plates and hopefully they have a lot more important things that they are worried about --- like potatoes...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Ok, how about this, has anyone here on the Forum ever reported being ticketed for not having a license plate, when they were on their way home?

If one's own state will not issue it until it is back in that state, and you have the paperwork to show that the trailer was just purchased, what is the actual likelihood that the police in another state are going to ticket you?

I have yet to see anyone post here who has had anything more than having their paperwork checked and then explained their situation to the officer. Maybe if someone is a smarta$$ to the cop something might happen, but all of them I've known have been decent people not looking to hassle people for no reason.

Border guards would have no jurisdiction on license plates and hopefully they have a lot more important things that they are worried about --- like potatoes...
Exactly my point, save the money for beer......
Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
I had no issues coming over the borders into California. Evidently, you can get a temporary license from DMV, but it is only good for a few days. There is a store at Sumac that will sell you a temporary WA license, which you can use until you get to CA. I just kept to the speed limits and had the paperwork with me. DMV was the challenge, not the borders.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
As long as you have all the paperwork and the import document you're fine.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

The problem is some of us from the east coast would like to spend some time in the west before getting home. When I picked up my 2011 17, it took me 111 days & 18,721 miles to get back to NY. That's why I did everything I could to get the plate before I left to pick up the trailer.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The problem is some of us from the east coast would like to spend some time in the west before getting home. When I picked up my 2011 17, it took me 111 days & 18,721 miles to get back to NY. That's why I did everything I could to get the plate before I left to pick up the trailer.
I agree Jon, but most situations are going to be an out and back pickup. If in the case of almost half a year to get home, then you should get registered. However, that isn't happening in the states that require an inspection prior to registration. Trailer had to be in AZ, go through inspection before they would talk to you about registering and plates. So if you're in one of those states you will have to go home first, register, then pickup the trek from there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm going to take everything Tammy sends me into the DMV and make the effort. If they won't give me plates and/or a title I am going to try to get someone to sign something to that effect that I was there on that date. At least try for something to show I made the effort to register it. We're planning on going to the rally and traveling slowly back home, which might take at least a couple of weeks. If I get stopped I'll try to dazzle 'em with paperwork -- and hope for an understanding cop!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I did a little more research, although you can purchase 3 permits a year for Trailers only 2 of them would be for RV's.

Looked a little more and escape trailers would be a Rv so 6 days would be the max 2 permits

Once you have the transfer permit it is considered a legal registration in Washington, and would be honored in any other state(for the 3 Days) ,same as a permanent plate would be .

heres a copy of info i found

RCW 46.16A.320

Vehicle trip permits—Restrictions and requirements—Fee—Penalty—Rules.

(1)(a) A vehicle owner may operate an unregistered vehicle on public highways under the authority of a trip permit issued by this state. For purposes of trip permits, a vehicle is considered unregistered if:
(i) Under reciprocal relations with another jurisdiction, the owner would be required to register the vehicle in this state;
(ii) Not registered when registration is required under this chapter;
(iii) The license tabs have expired; or
(iv) The current gross weight license is insufficient for the load being carried. The licensed gross weight may not exceed eighty thousand pounds for a combination of vehicles or forty thousand pounds for a single unit vehicle with three or more axles.
(b) Trip permits are required to move mobile homes or park model trailers and may only be issued if property taxes are paid in full.
(2) Trip permits may not be:
(a) Issued to vehicles registered under RCW 46.16A.455(5) in lieu of further registration within the same registration year; or
(b) Used for commercial motor vehicles owned by a motor carrier subject to RCW 46.32.080 if the motor carrier's department of transportation number has been placed out of service by the Washington state patrol. A violation of or a failure to comply with this subsection is a gross misdemeanor, subject to a minimum monetary penalty of two thousand five hundred dollars for the first violation and five thousand dollars for each subsequent violation.
(3)(a) Each trip permit authorizes the operation of a single vehicle at the maximum legal weight limit for the vehicle for a period of three consecutive days beginning with the day of first use. No more than three trip permits may be used for any one vehicle in any thirty consecutive day period. No more than two trip permits may be used for any one recreational vehicle, as defined in RCW 43.22.335, in a one-year period. Every trip permit must:
(i) Identify the vehicle for which it is issued;
(ii) Be completed in its entirety;
(iii) Be signed by the operator before operation of the vehicle on the public highways of this state;
(iv) Not be altered or corrected. Altering or correcting data on the trip permit invalidates the trip permit; and
(v) Be displayed on the vehicle for which it is issued as required by the department.
(b) Vehicles operating under the authority of trip permits are subject to all laws, rules, and regulations affecting the operation of similar vehicles in this state.
(4) Prorate operators operating commercial vehicles on trip permits in Washington shall retain the customer copy of each permit for four years.
(5) Trip permits may be obtained from field offices of the department of transportation, department of licensing, county auditors or other agents, and subagents appointed by the department for the fee provided in RCW 46.17.400(1)(h). Exchanges, credits, or refunds may not be given for trip permits after they have been purchased.
(6) Except as provided in subsection (2)(b) of this section, a violation of or a failure to comply with this section is a gross misdemeanor.
(7) The department may adopt rules necessary to administer this section.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #34

So, a legal registration requires you paying the 6% sales tax and inspection fee to Washington State and then what, apply for a refund in your home state? . Seems like a lot of hoops for a 6 hour drive through. Register Off-Road Vehicles & RVs in Washington | DMV.org
Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I don't see anything there about being able to operate it in another state.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, a legal registration requires you paying the 6% sales tax and inspection fee to Washington State and then what, apply for a refund in your home state? . Seems like a lot of hoops for a 6 hour drive through. Register Off-Road Vehicles & RVs in Washington | DMV.org

I dont think you have to pay tax for the 3 transit permit.
I know a lot of people are Just doing it with no plates

some our not comfortable with the risk Its just a bad situation.
My insurance will not cover anything I am towing that is not registered.

things you can do
1. just drive off on vacation with no plates (big attention Grabber)
2. put a plate on from another Trailer ( this is crime in all 50 states)
your better off with no plate than the wrong one.
3. buy 2 3 day permits and get home in 6 days
4. If i cant get someone ahead of time to issue a plate My choice would be get 3 day permit take to a campsite and overnight the papers and have them overnight them back, My state has no need to see the trailer, they just want the certificate of organ and the custom papers stamped that the trailer is already been imported .

I sure many have made it home without any problem . But if there is a unforeseen accident and someone get hurt you can bet that it will be a big issue. we worked hard for the things we have in life and i don't want to risk them for something like this. I cant go enjoy myself in the west for 3-4 weeks with no plates, so if i cant figure out a legal way to do i will not buy the trailer. I was really surprised that the new trailers did not come with a 30 day temporary plate . (this might not be possible with the Canadian laws)
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
We're planning on going to the rally and traveling slowly back home, which might take at least a couple of weeks.
So you're going to pick up the new trailer in Sumas, then go back across the border with paper tags, and then cross the border again on the way back?

I wish you luck with that.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
So you're going to pick up the new trailer in Sumas, then go back across the border with paper tags, and then cross the border again on the way back?

I wish you luck with that.
Like I said, not a federal jurisdiction. I'll have legal bills of sale, proper import papers, and I've never heard of either a US or Canadian national vehicle license.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am not aware that any state can regulate vehicles while in other states except those belonging to their own residents. I highly doubt that any permit issued by any state is of any value in another state unless you are a resident of the state that issued it. A state has no interest in regulating, nor do I believe they can, with regard to other states. You can call the Washington state DMV and ask whether a resident of another state can use their Washington permit outside of Washington. The permit would be good for the day you are in Washington, if it is even needed then. I wonder if it even applies to that situation while passing through Washington. They should know that their permit is only good there but people buying such permits may not say that they intend to primarily use it outside of Washington. Say that and see what they say for nonresidents of Washington.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #40
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
some our not comfortable with the risk Its just a bad situation.
My insurance will not cover anything I am towing that is not registered.
Hum not sure what insurance you have but AAA said I was covered for 30 days once i took possession of the trailer. I ended up getting a separate policy for the trailer through national general as they specialize in RV's and have better coverage with full replacement value for 5 years plus other nice benefits. They where familiar with imported trailer and only required the vin # to obtain the policy.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote