Costco Folding Solar Panel Sale - 100W, 200W or 300W - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2022, 08:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Costco Folding Solar Panel Sale - 100W, 200W or 300W

Looks like CostCo has some Massimo folding solar panels on sale in various power outputs up to 300W.

https://www.costco.com/massimo-folda...100793941.html

I've never heard of Massimo, but it looks like they're branding white label products.

Any thoughts if these might be worthwhile?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Probably worthwhile

Costco typically sells good products. With their size, they likely have their own testing labs. Good price, but 100W typically goes for around $200.
They do have a stellar return policy.
If the size and set up works for you, they’re worth a shot.
I have no knowledge of the brand.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:18 AM   #3

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
I have been looking at different solar options for our new Bigfoot, sold the Escape with built in solar. The Massimo panels seam to only support their portable battery pack, the description doesn't mention a solar controller. With no charge controller these panels are a no go.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I have been looking at different solar options for our new Bigfoot, sold the Escape with built in solar. The Massimo panels seam to only support their portable battery pack, the description doesn't mention a solar controller. With no charge controller these panels are a no go.
If you have a Escape installed solar panel / charge controller and Zamp port you actually don't want a charge controller on your solar panel.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
If you have a Escape installed solar panel / charge controller and Zamp port you actually don't want a charge controller on your solar panel.
That is true, the built in controller installed by Escape with factory installed solar will control the charge rate and voltage of a separate portable panel. However if you don't have any solar currently installed, a portable panel will need a controller. The description of the Massimo solar panels never mentions a controller, just the portable battery pack, which has a controller built into it.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I can't find good tech specs for these panels anywhere. It looks like they don't have built-in charge controllers, but hard to know for sure. My preference is for panels without a built-in charge controller.

I was going to edit my original post with the prices, but can't due to forum restrictions. But here they are:

100W - $150
200W - $260
300W - $320
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape
The panels do have some charge control. There are several us-b ports and an android type port on the back all at 5v.. There is another port I can’t identify but it might be used for running the cooler shown in the picture.

There is also a dc output port at 18v. This is what would plug into a solar controller for the trailer batteries. So it would work as a stand alone panel if you have a solar controller or a supplemental panel if you have a port to plug into.

I’m not sure how sophisticated any panel mounted controller would be to get the charging profile you want for various types of batteries. You can get the right controller and plug this panel into it.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Unless they made a mistake in their dimensions, the 300 watt unit at 8.27" wide is a miracle product...
Old 04-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Lensun

Lensun sells a 100W 3 panel folding portable with a charge controller for around $200. Not a sophisticated controller, but built onto the panel back. I have several of these units, one with and 1 without the controller. They work for me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
thats only true if both panels have similar photo-voltaic volt ranges. The 360W rooftop panel I installed runs 36-40V PV, so I could only parallel it with another 36-40V PV panel (yes, I'm using a MPPT controller, of course)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thats only true if both panels have similar photo-voltaic volt ranges.
The Costco Massimo solar panels are 18 volt, the same voltage as the GoPower solar panels Escape uses.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Massimo has a product web page, which covers these folding units plus a rigid 100 watt panel with controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unless they made a mistake in their dimensions, the 300 watt unit at 8.27" wide is a miracle product...
The Massimo page gives dimensions, and has the same ridiculous width value for the 300 watt unit. My guess is that that it is supposed to be 28.27" (so the listing is missing the first digit), to get a suitable unfolded area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Massimo has a product web page, which covers these folding units plus a rigid 100 watt panel with controller.

The Massimo page gives dimensions, and has the same ridiculous width value for the 300 watt unit. My guess is that that it is supposed to be 28.27" (so the listing is missing the first digit), to get a suitable unfolded area.
I was thinking that might be the thickness of the panels when folded. My 100 watt foldable panel is 2 or 3 inches thick when folded. So a little over 8 inches is about right for a 300 watt folding panel.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I was thinking that might be the thickness of the panels when folded. My 100 watt foldable panel is 2 or 3 inches thick when folded. So a little over 8 inches is about right for a 300 watt folding panel.
These Massimo units are quite thin. If the 300 watt is wider than the 200 watt, with similar length and number of folds, the two models would be similar in thickness.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I can't see in their writings anything saying this would plug into my zamp port.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
I can't see in their writings anything saying this would plug into my zamp port.
The main issue, as I understand it, is whether your Zamp port goes to a charge controller or goes directly to the battery. If the zamp port goes to a charge controller then this panel can be connected. If the zamp port goes directly to the battery, then you need a different panel that has its own controller.

The second issue is whether the 18v and 100w output is compatible with your existing controller. That I can’t answer, but from other responses it appears to be compatible with the Escape system. You would have to confirm that and determine if your controller can handle the additional load.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
The Costco Massimo solar panels are 18 volt, the same voltage as the GoPower solar panels Escape uses.
The 190 watt GoPower panels have the following specs, per the GP website:

Solar cell type Monocrystalline
Output power
190 W
Rated current
9.45 A
Rated DC voltage
20.4 V

The Zamp connector goes to the 30 amp PWM charge controller in the 2021 21 NE we're picking up next month. Escape notes that you should not use a charge controller with an expansion panel connected to the Zamp.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:38 PM   #18

The 100 watt Go Power Duralite expansion panel specs:

Output Power

100W

Rated Current

5.06A

Rated Voltage

19.8V
Old 04-16-2022, 10:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 22' 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
The main issue, as I understand it, is whether your Zamp port goes to a charge controller or goes directly to the battery. If the zamp port goes to a charge controller then this panel can be connected. If the zamp port goes directly to the battery, then you need a different panel that has its own controller.

The second issue is whether the 18v and 100w output is compatible with your existing controller. That I can’t answer, but from other responses it appears to be compatible with the Escape system. You would have to confirm that and determine if your controller can handle the additional load.

They are calling the box that includes USB and DC out ports the "controller". But I'm thinking it's more of a junction box of sorts.

Curious though, it looks like it comes with a decent selection of DC male adaptors. Anyone know if any of these would even fit a zamp port? Not familiar with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220416-234123_Amazon Shopping.jpg  
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
They are calling the box that includes USB and DC out ports the "controller". But I'm thinking it's more of a junction box of sorts.

Curious though, it looks like it comes with a decent selection of DC male adaptors. Anyone know if any of these would even fit a zamp port? Not familiar with them.
This is the type of connector that would fit the Zamp port, Sean.
Attached Thumbnails
image-asset.png