RVLock Black Friday Sale - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
RVlock
If you get the storage locks they may not fit due to thinner doors on the Escape trailers. If this is the case alternate "offset disc tumbler cams" can be found. I ordered two sizes and found the cam with the most severe off set to work best for me (NCL-C7009-2C). These mount slightly different to the lock but seem to be working quite nicely. I can not say enough about the door lock it is so much easier and safer in every way. A bit pricey but glad I got them.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...hp?p_ref=17926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
For the hatch locks, we found that the washers allowed us to get a snug fit for the lock.

I think each brand of trailer has slightly different ways they make hatches, with variations in the thickness of doors, the weather stripping used, the wall thickness, etc.

The washers allowed me to set each hatch lock at just the right spot to have a snug locking position. For me, I put a couple of the nylon washers on the outside, right next to the hatch door. This made the inside latch be at just the right spot. Picture is attached.

I did not need any washers for the main front door lock. That main lock installed just fine. No washers needed for that.

- Bea
HarleyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Black Friday Sale

Here we go again.

RVLock is having a black friday sale for those who are interested in getting one of their locks.

40% Off Entire Site
Starts Thursday 11/26 at 12:01 AM MST
Ends Friday 11/27 at 11:59 PM MST

https://www.rvlock.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...hoCz-8QAvD_BwE
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Here we go again.

RVLock is having a black friday sale for those who are interested in getting one of their locks.

40% Off Entire Site
Starts Thursday 11/26 at 12:01 AM MST
Ends Friday 11/27 at 11:59 PM MST

https://www.rvlock.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...hoCz-8QAvD_BwE
Any 'tweeking' necessary to install this device on our trailers?

My 'If it ain't broke...' philosophy has collapsed!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #44

Nope, no tweeking.

I just removed the screws holding the original lockset and installed the RvLock using the screws they supplied with the lock.

The quality of the lock is much better than the original and the number of key lock combinations is better.

I changed the original lockset because I had heard that there was a limited number of keys that fit the locks. Sure enough, while I had the Casita and the Escape parked next to each other - I tried the Casita key to open the Escape and it worked. I then tried the Escape key on the Casita and it worked. These are the door keys - not the hatch keys which are all commonly keyed.

Besides, there is a wow factor in being able to hit the remote for the door, it beeps, and unlocks / locks the door. Also, when we go hiking, we don't want to take keys or remote with us in case they are dropped and lost - the keypad on the door comes in handy for that.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #45

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Any 'tweeking' necessary to install this device on our trailers?
Although I had to slide the new handle in just right and it just made it, I did not need to do any "tweeking" on our 2019 Escape 19. It is really nice to not carry keys.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #46

Well, this is another change I never thought I would do. Thanks on the heads up on the sale. I'll wait for it.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Nope, no tweeking.

I just removed the screws holding the original lockset and installed the RvLock using the screws they supplied with the lock.

The quality of the lock is much better than the original and the number of key lock combinations is better.

I changed the original lockset because I had heard that there was a limited number of keys that fit the locks. Sure enough, while I had the Casita and the Escape parked next to each other - I tried the Casita key to open the Escape and it worked. I then tried the Escape key on the Casita and it worked. These are the door keys - not the hatch keys which are all commonly keyed.

Besides, there is a wow factor in being able to hit the remote for the door, it beeps, and unlocks / locks the door. Also, when we go hiking, we don't want to take keys or remote with us in case they are dropped and lost - the keypad on the door comes in handy for that.
Nice to know someone else appreciates the 'WOW' factor.

I experienced the same thing when I installed my Victron 712. Who would've thought my appliances would have used as many (or Fewer) ah that I guessed over x period of time.

I put my Victron monitor in a clock holder. Like some put a barometer and timepiece in. I didn't have the right hole saw with me when I installed it so I did it 'temporally' in the holder.

I like it sitting on the counter ext in the dining area now. Another temp becomes perm!
Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures in Nomadness View Post
That's a great deal, wish we would have waited!! We bought both the door lock and the compartment lock to be able to have one key. We did run into an issue with our door lock though and had to remove it. Our door takes a little more force to close and with the plastic rvlock door handle we had to slam the door each time to try and get it to close. Not ideal for long term use. We removed the lock and put the old one back on. We are actually running up to the factory tomorrow to see if they can fix the door fit and a couple other minor warranty things. We'll let you know how it turns out!

We love the lock though and really hope it will work for us!!

Please do report on what ETI found with your balky door. Our 17B’s door (standard issue lock) is sticking, requiring a good slam to git’er closed. Can’t see anything evidently wrong so...
[emoji3]
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I never, ever, slam the door on my 17B.
I close it by gently pressing on the area of the latch until I hear and feel it secure.
Been doing that since 2008.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Comments:
#1) I believe that the lock that RVlocks is offering fits second gen. Escapes, but not first gen.
#2 regarding balky door lock. Ours was caused by loose door hinge screws, allowing the door to very slightly be mis-aligned. I replaced the screws with thru-bolts for the fix. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...albums372.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I see that the snazzy RVLock 4.0 to fit my 5.0 has two places to insert a key, just like my stock door lock. What are those two places for? Thanks. Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I see that the snazzy RVLock 4.0 to fit my 5.0 has two places to insert a key, just like my stock door lock. What are those two places for? Thanks. Ed
One for the door handle lock and the other for the door deadbolt.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I believe that the lock that RVlocks is offering fits second gen. Escapes, but not first gen.
Great reminder. Yes, the keyless RVLock (even compact model) will not fit the original molds with the curved door.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #54

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I wrote RVLock and got a quick response to my questions about the two places to insert a key (cylinders). From the answer (see below), here's what I learned.

- The top lock cylinder is for the paddle handle and the top spring latch that holds the door shut when you close it. The key fob and key pad do not operate this cylinder. The supplied key will operate the top cylinder and but so will multiple other keys like those used by dealer salespeople who want to be able to open multiple trailers using the same key.

- The bottom lock cylinder operates the deadbolt. Only the RVLock supplied key will operate this cylinder, making it much more secure than the top cylinder. Additionally, the key fob and key pad operate the deadbolt for keyless use but not the top cylinder.

RV Lock Support said:

"The electronics only move the deadbolt.

The deadbolt is where your security is.

The master cylinder only locks the paddle. The only way to lock or unlock that cylinder is with a key.

We are required to have the master cylinder on our locks for dealers because they have master keys to use in that cylinder to access the rigs to show customers and to do service.

The master cylinder is a looser fitting cylinder allowing multiple key cuts in it, like your key and dealer master keys.

The deadbolt cylinder is a tighter fitting cylinder only allowing your key to work in it."
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks...good to know info.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #56

I'm going to order the door lock when the sale hits this week. I was also looking at the key latch and thumb latch for the hatchs. Anyone have those and any trouble installing them. Some of the reviews stated they were too long
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
I'm going to order the door lock when the sale hits this week. I was also looking at the key latch and thumb latch for the hatchs. Anyone have those and any trouble installing them. Some of the reviews stated they were too long
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post282621
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #58

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
are these better units that the Bauer NE Model #013-509 thats escape installs? I have no experience with either .
We got the Bauer on ours and it wasn't working on arrival. Escape said they test them prior to shipping and suggested I adjust tension on the screws and failing that open it up and lube it with lithium grease. I didn't get to the grease but they are sending me a new unit. So, not looking good so far but maybe I'm just unlucky.
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
are these better units that the Bauer NE Model #013-509 thats escape installs? I have no experience with either .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
We got the Bauer on ours and it wasn't working on arrival. Escape said they test them prior to shipping and suggested I adjust tension on the screws and failing that open it up and lube it with lithium grease. I didn't get to the grease but they are sending me a new unit. So, not looking good so far but maybe I'm just unlucky.
A good place to start is to look at the Amazon reviews. Granted, Amazon has a history of fake reviews but they are usually easy to spot.

Here are the reviews for the Bauer
https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...ustomerReviews

Here are the reviews for the RVLock
https://www.amazon.com/RVLock-Keyles...ustomerReviews

It looks like from the reviews that the Bauer has reliability issues and poor customer service. The RVLock has some bad reviews but they are usually from the owner not being able to program it correctly.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #60

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
It looks like from the reviews that the Bauer has reliability issues. The RVLock has some bad reviews but they are usually from the owner not being able to program it correctly.
Yeah, reliability is what concerns me the most at this point. If I'm going to leave my trailer without a key and can't rely on the lock opening when I come back then it's worse than useless. Made that point to Escape when they stated they tested mine before shipping. If that's true then the lock is able to fail just by being hauled across the country on the back of a flatbed trailer. Not a good result for a lock on a device that will always be hauled around the country.
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote