Solar Suitcase with controller recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Solar Suitcase with controller recommendations

Hi all, we are trying to up our boondocking game, and will be purchasing a solar suitcase. I was wondering if anyone has had either good or bad luck with a particular brand. We are looking at Renogy, but have not ordered yet. We do have 100 watts on the roof, but the additional solar will be plugged in when needed.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 E19
I just bought these per a recon from here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I haven't hooked up yet.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #3

Thank you Chasing Trails. This does not look like it comes with a controller, but I could be missing something. If not, did you need a separate controller, or does your escape have that built in. We have not gotten our Escape trailer yet, so are looking at this for our current trailer and the Escape when we get it.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
If your current trailer has an exterior access door for the batteries, your easiest choice might be to purchase a portable panel with controller and an output cable with alligator clips.. The alligator clips then connect directly to your battery. Later, and depending on how your next trailer is configured, you can modify the way your portable panel is connected to conform with the new trailer's electrical system. Without familiarity with your current trailer, its not easy to suggest what will work best with the existing system.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
We have a single 190 Watt roof solar panel and Renogy suit case panel that can be plugged into the optional Solar Port and it does not need a separate controller because the optional Solar Port is connected to the existing Charge Controller. It would be better to have 2 roof top but we have not needed to use the Renogy.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
You have 100W now on you current trailer. Is this an escape? Your profile says wanting escape 23.

Portable panels are best plugged into the existing controller rather than adding a second panel with its own controller.

Not knowing what your current set up is it would be best to find the charge controller to see if it has the additional capacity to handle the portable panel as well as the 100W panel you already have. The Escape controller has plenty of capacity.

Did you get a zamp port? if you did you want an un regulated panel as well.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
note two panels can only share the same controller if both panels are the same approximate voltage. My Renogy 100W suitcase has a 18-20V panel, while my rooftop 360W LG panel is a 36-40V. The LG is on a Victron MPPT controller, while the Renogy has its own PWM
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post
Thank you Chasing Trails. This does not look like it comes with a controller, but I could be missing something. If not, did you need a separate controller, or does your escape have that built in. We have not gotten our Escape trailer yet, so are looking at this for our current trailer and the Escape when we get it.

I guess it does let post 2 links. I ordered this controller I want to stay the same brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on charging straight to the batteries with the alligator clips, at this point.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
note two panels can only share the same controller if both panels are the same approximate voltage. My Renogy 100W suitcase has a 18-20V panel, while my rooftop 360W LG panel is a 36-40V. The LG is on a Victron MPPT controller, while the Renogy has its own PWM
Yes that's true, but all the portable panels I have seen are the lower voltage as would most likely be her 100W panel and the panels that are factory installed on escape trailers.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I use the 200 watt Renology. Sometimes with the controller, and sometimes without plugged into my Escape’s port. It depends on whether I am using the panel with the Escape, or some other system.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:31 PM   #11

We have put a deposit on the 21C, but may move it to the 23 - depending on if the 23 moves from vaporware to reality and if we can get the trailer in a “reasonable” time frame. We currently have an E-pro that does have a solar panel on the roof as well as a solar port near the door, but it does need a controller for adding a suitcase solar panel to the port.

Thank you for all your feedback, it was helpful.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Yes that's true, but all the portable panels I have seen are the lower voltage as would most likely be her 100W panel and the panels that are factory installed on escape trailers.
the low voltage panels work with PWM controllers. the higher voltage panels require MPPT controllers, which are more efficient. you can use a MPPT with a low voltage panel, too, but the efficiency improves with panels that have higher peak PV voltages.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote