Trimax UMAX100 hitch lock - any experience? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 405
Trimax UMAX100 hitch lock - any experience?

Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...trimax+umax100
__________________

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,994
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have that one and it's easy to use but I only put it on while in covered (duplex) storage or I'm in an isolated camping site. Nothing is infallible but, as you say, it's only a deterrent.
__________________

__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,021
Jill ,
I have either this lock or one very similar. I got it from E Trailer.com when I got my coupler and stinger locks that go crossways through the holes for the locking pins. I also have some keyed alike anti theft lug nuts including for the spare. If paranoia has crept too deeply into my life on a particular day or site I have a heavy cable and bad boy lock for a wheel / axle tie. I just want to slow them down or get them better prepared for their next caper. The pros will take whatever they want like Grant took Richmond.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
xyz
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: about PoC, New York
Trailer: nunya
Posts: 66
I use the Mega Hitch Lock by Clearwater Industries:

http://amzn.to/1OBGuAz

I had a trailer theft incident that led to my researching quite a few different hitch lock brands, and this video sold me on the Mega Hitch Lock. I'm sure someone could get through it eventually (with a plasma cutter), but it would take a hell of a lot of work!

https://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060959.jpg (280.7 KB, 42 views)
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,652
That one looks really good. To me the Trimeric looks pretty similar to the Reese for more than twice the price.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
We have one like this that works exactly the same way. I can't say that someone cannot get it off. They may pass up the trailer for another one if they see the lock but they may only want an Escape. I would say that you need to worry more at home or in storage than at campgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...trimax+umax100
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 405
Thanks everyone. That youtube video sure was informative! This weekend we hope to go to Sly Park which will be mostly empty for campers but still will have some traffic from hikers heading to the trails. If ever a trailer would be stolen from a campground I would think that scenario would have a greater probability. Other than that, I agree storage yards or being parked at home might be more risky. When in storage we will definitely add something to lock the wheels as well.

Thanks again.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,956
Another suggestion to get a "Jack-E-Up" and install. Not only can you now open your tail gate, but once removed it would make anyone attempting to steal your trailer to have a flat bed tow truck. Without the jack you can not raise or lower the tongue.
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,381
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
xyz
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: about PoC, New York
Trailer: nunya
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
With the sort of lock you mentioned, a thief could still get the hitch loosely on the ball, and get the chains extra tight to hold it off the ground. I also bought a massive padlock for my hitch chains while I'm parked.

I don't know about fiberglass trailers, but I was building a tiny house on a trailer, and it was stolen when I was almost finished with the build. I had only locked the chains around the hitch, and nothing else. Now that I know better, I will never own a trailer with less than three forms of locking security on it.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
(snip)

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
When I first started reading the forum I came across some posts about at least one (and I think at least two) Escape trailers that were stolen. And there was comment on how one of them was stolen by putting it on a flatbed trailer. I do not know/remember if either of them were recovered. I think one was in BC, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, we're already talking about what we can do to prevent theft. We're going to get one of those thingies that move the trailers around (heck if I remember what they're called) without hitching it to your vehicle. That way we can park it in our gravel area with the hitch facing in, to try to lessen any theft.

Locks, of course, on the wheels. We're going to get that Jack-E-Up (thanks much for the post on that a week or so ago - what a nifty device). And install some sort of tracking device, like Low-Jack.

We don't exactly live in a low crime neighborhood. I also more than half way expect it to get tagged at some point. Not sure if a cover would help that situation from happening. We're next to a bus shelter and lots of people waiting around bored out of their minds. Um, yeah, lovely, huh?
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
When I first started reading the forum I came across some posts about at least one (and I think at least two) Escape trailers that were stolen. And there was comment on how one of them was stolen by putting it on a flatbed trailer. I do not know/remember if either of them were recovered. I think one was in BC, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, we're already talking about what we can do to prevent theft. We're going to get one of those thingies that move the trailers around (heck if I remember what they're called) without hitching it to your vehicle. That way we can park it in our gravel area with the hitch facing in, to try to lessen any theft.

Locks, of course, on the wheels. We're going to get that Jack-E-Up (thanks much for the post on that a week or so ago - what a nifty device). And install some sort of tracking device, like Low-Jack.

We don't exactly live in a low crime neighborhood. I also more than half way expect it to get tagged at some point. Not sure if a cover would help that situation from happening. We're next to a bus shelter and lots of people waiting around bored out of their minds. Um, yeah, lovely, huh?
I think that thingy(ie) is a trailer dolly and they can be manual or motorized.
__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,098
Good Insurance.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,021
It takes a pretty good man or woman to push a tandem axle trailer around with a manual dolly. Dead flat, hard surface for starters. Before I bought one, I'd borrow or rent one and try it out. We had a power dolly where I used to work. It would move a 3000 lb trailer around pretty well. We'd pack them in a storage building pretty tight for the winter. Have you thought about a game camera, solar powered motion detector light and touch sensor audible alarm? Full coverage, replacement insurance is a given.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
On one, those locks are coupler latch locks and the diameter is very small and easily cut. Not a theft deterrent really.

On two, an Escape 19' was stolen from an owner's driveway, thought to have been put on a flatbed truck, and not recovered. I think that was in California and the owner received the insurance.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It takes a pretty good man or woman to push a tandem axle trailer around with a manual dolly. Dead flat, hard surface for starters. Before I bought one, I'd borrow or rent one and try it out. We had a power dolly where I used to work. It would move a 3000 lb trailer around pretty well. We'd pack them in a storage building pretty tight for the winter. Have you thought about a game camera, solar powered motion detector light and touch sensor audible alarm? Full coverage, replacement insurance is a given.
Dave
https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/tr...trailer-dolly/
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,482
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

Amazon.com: trimax umax100: Automotive
Thanks Jill,

Another $50-60 added to my LIST!
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It takes a pretty good man or woman to push a tandem axle trailer around with a manual dolly. Dead flat, hard surface for starters. Before I bought one, I'd borrow or rent one and try it out. We had a power dolly where I used to work. It would move a 3000 lb trailer around pretty well. We'd pack them in a storage building pretty tight for the winter. Have you thought about a game camera, solar powered motion detector light and touch sensor audible alarm? Full coverage, replacement insurance is a given.
Dave
Oh, definitely not manual. There's also a brand that I see ads for in Trailer Life that I'll check out closer to the time for purchasing.

We have a camera already on the porch and have discussed adding more. Our neighbor has one on that side of the house and I want to find out what their range is and if the trailer can be seen once we get it into place.

We've had those inexpensive solar powered garden lights stolen before. Really, must they steal that? Yep, they did. I've not heard of a solar powered motion sensor - will check into that. As well as the touch sensitive alarm. Thanks for that!

I love how someone (or more!) on this forum has answers/suggestions to solutions and questions.
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×