1000W inverter recommendation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
1000W inverter recommendation

I am looking for a 1000W inverter that has a 12v plug - any recommendations?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just FYI. I melted the plug on a 200 watt inverter when I plugged a small-wattage, one-cup coffee maker into it. It made the first cup fine, and melted the plug for the second.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
If you mean 12 volt plug as in a cigarette lighter plug that's really pushing it.

I don't think you'll find a cigarette lighter circuit capable of providing about 80 amps. A 1000 watt inverter should be hard wired.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

hmmmm - so some guidance please. I am considering eliminating the 1500w inverter from my build sheet. I would like to be able to use a couple items when I dry camp - maybe charge my computer, plug in a tv.... a rice pot
Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

There is a CAT 1,000 watt inverter on Canadian Tire site that can be plugged in with cigarette lighter plug. It rates one and half stars out of five.
I'd go with hard-wire.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

I have a 12V charger for my MacBook Air. The TV and a DVD player have 12V option as well. Rice we make in a pot on the propane stove.
Don't have to carry a rice maker.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Quick pot.... or whatever these functional multiple use pots are called...
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't think you'll find a 1000w inverter that will run off a 12v lighter plug if that's your plan. That's something like 80 amps, I think max for a lighter socket is 10 or 15 amps. You need it hardwired.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
hmmmm - so some guidance please. I am considering eliminating the 1500w inverter from my build sheet. I would like to be able to use a couple items when I dry camp - maybe charge my computer, plug in a tv.... a rice pot
With the current exchange rate, you should rethink eliminating the 1500w inverter. I ordered mine with all 120v outlets which is handy. Having it hardwired to the batteries and with a transfer switch makes it easy to use.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't think you'll find a 1000w inverter that will run off a 12v lighter plug if that's your plan. That's something like 80 amps, I think max for a lighter socket is 10 or 15 amps. You need it hardwired.
As Bob has said, I believe the maximum recommended for a 12v socket is 10 amps and that is pushing it. All that is needed for a TV and computer would be a 150 watt inverter, and given that these are "sensitive" electronics, a pure sine wave inverter would be best. Furthermore, trying to run a 1,000 watt inverter off of a 12v socket would likely be a fire hazard as it is doubtful the wiring would be anywhere near adequate to handle the load. Either stick with the 1,500 watt (properly wired) built in inverter or forget the rice cooker. FORGET any ideas about running a high wattage inverter unless you have some extremely heavy wiring installed to the outlet.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #11

I'm with Alton Brown on 'unitasker' kitchen gadgets.

The 'Unitasker' Kitchen Gadgets Alton Brown Loves To Loathe : The Salt : NPR
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a CAT 1,000 watt inverter on Canadian Tire site that can be plugged in with cigarette lighter plug. It rates one and half stars out of five.
I'd go with hard-wire.
Yes, but that CAT 1000W Power Inverter comes with both a lighter plug and clips; as explained in the feature list, the lighter plug is only for light-duty use. The product page even suggests hardwiring it for high-power use. Although the reviews may make one wonder about quality and design, there's nothing wrong with providing the lighter plug option... the only problem is misuse.

Quote:
  • Includes cables for 3 connection options; 12V DC accessory plug, battery clamps and hardwired installation.
Quote:
  • Up to 1000W of continuous power when connected directly to your battery. Ideal for larger loads like microwaves, refrigerators, TVs and power tools.
  • Up to 100W of continuous power when connected through your vehicles 12V DC accessory outlet. Ideal for smaller loads such as cell phone and tablet chargers.
Anyway, it illustrates what has already been explained: up to a hundred watts or so (several amps) is fine by lighter plug, but high power needs suitable wiring. Escape's optional inverter is suitably wired; you could do it properly yourself as well, and it could cost less than the Escape option if you settle for lower power and fewer features (e.g. no remote, not sine-wave), but it won't be plugged into a lighter/accessory socket if it is suitable for any significant cooking appliance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
One of the issues I see with a 1000 watt inverter versus a 1500 watt or 2000 watt inverter is its limited capability. Many appliances such as microwaves , coffee pots , toasters , fry pans ,HAIR DRYERs, take more than 1000 watts . If all you want to power is small electronics than a portable 400 watt inverter would suffice. If you want to have a greater range of options go with the factory 1500 watt.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Boiling water is inconvenient, (unless you're dry camping) but I just don't get it. What is it about using the propane stove for these cooking things that turns folks to electric appliances?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Other's have said it, that you really don't want to use a 1000W inverter with a cigarette plug. Sure, if you keep the usage to a minimum wattage, it won't be a problem, but why have this capacity of an inverter then.

I would either get the Escape supplied one, or hard wire a 1500W unit to the batteries. I opted to not get the Escape one, and instead see if I really need one, and then I will buy one and hard wire it in myself. Lots of good ones on Aliexpress for a decent price.

Quote:
We have a decent little 200W plug in inverter that runs the TV and my laptop at the same time. We have watched a few downloaded shows this way on a rainy night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Boiling water is inconvenient, (unless you're dry camping) but I just don't get it. What is it about using the propane stove for these cooking things that turns folks to electric appliances?
You are absolutely correct Myron. You do not need to have 120V to cook at all. You could cook many lifetimes of great meals with propane only. I think a lot of it stems from where you came from camping in the past. Many, like me, have camped lots in the past, much of it in the backcountry, using nothing but a single gas stove, and eating great. For me, it is tough to break this when camping, even now using a trailer. Others come to this from the opposite directions, having camped little at all in the past, and are used to the convenience of 120V appliances, wanting to incorporate some of them into their camping style.

I am mounting solar on my roof with our new trailer, something I have never had. The first purpose of it is to ensure adequate supply of power for all our 12V needs, and maybe be able to use the furnace more on multiple nights of cold weather without running out of battery power, but if I find we have an excess, only then will I wire in a big inverter, and may begin to explore a few 120V appliances. My wife has a lot of hair, and would love to be able to dry it with a real hair dryer, even though I contend that her sticking her head in front of the furnace while blasting works just fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a Xantrex ProWatt SW 1000 watt inverter in my Escape 17, however it is permanently wired with #0 cable. I did have to pick & choose to find a toaster, drip coffee pot & microwave that would run on the inverter; I would also recommend going with the 1500 watt wired by Escape if you want to use the rice cooker. For the others, a small 100 watt plug in inverter will work.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While most cooking appliances require a lot of power, a 1500 watt inverter is not needed for all electric cooking. Slow cookers and at least the smaller rice cookers only need 300 watts or less... although they need for a long time, so a lot of energy is still used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What is it about using the propane stove for these cooking things that turns folks to electric appliances?
One factor is that electric cooking appliances can be self-regulating, which is an advantage over manually regulating a gas flame... particularly with poor turn-down characteristics of typical RV stoves.

A rice cooker is an excellent example of something which you just plug in, load up, and turn on: it provides heat at a constant and suitable rate, then turns itself off when done. A slow-cooker is similar. I use an induction cooker, which can be set by power level or by pan temperature. Even an electric kettle, which may have the least advantage over propane of any electric appliance, shuts itself off when the water boils.

This may not be why other people use electric appliances, but it is a factor for me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While most cooking appliances require a lot of power, a 1500 watt inverter is not needed for all electric cooking. Slow cookers and at least the smaller rice cookers only need 300 watts or less... although they need for a long time, so a lot of energy is still used.
Brian: Agreed, but in post #7 parfsten mentions a "quick pot". These are basically small pressure cookers with wattage typically 1000W+.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #19

As a life long dry camper this "power bush" and 160W solar panel/6 volt batteries thing is new to me. Was curious as to options.... thanks for all your input.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
As a life long dry camper this "power bush" and 160W solar panel/6 volt batteries thing is new to me. Was curious as to options.... thanks for all your input.
I still find the best places to camp are off grid, and have yet to have fixed solar, but really looking forward to what it can offer while I camp off the grid as much as possible. It will take time, but you too will likely become assimilated.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote