12V AGM Battery for a 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If, for no other reason for venting an AGM battery, read the posts about a battery/converter failure on the Parkliner forum. I don't remember the specific thread, but a couple had what was probably a converter failure, overcharging unvented lifeline AGM batteries. Strong hydrogen sulphur odor that drove them out of the trailer.

While under normal conditions, AGM batteries produce little, if any outgassing, things can go bump in the night (I had to use that phrase the day after Halloween).
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Good thought Jon. I know AMG batteries require a more precise charger set up (closer charge tolerances). If I were to consider AMG batteries I might investigate further but I'm not sure I will ever go to an AMG battery because I'm not sure the cost benefit is there. If there's a lesson here it's pay attention to the charge controller? Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Man, went looking for a good photo showing my battery vent, and it seems though I took a lot of photos of the work I did, I have very few of the actual trailer. This is one from picking it up in January, but you can see the vent right under the rear marker light.
You should have waited a few days before posting that "dirty" photo Jim, the vent shows well on your "finally home" thread

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
You should have waited a few days before posting that "dirty" photo Jim, the vent shows well on your "finally home" thread

Adrian
Kinda jumped the gun, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Over the last few days we have been getting consistently low readings...approaching 12.0 and 11.9...and no full recharge even on cloudless days.The previous owner of our trailer had installed a battery minder sensor which should hook up to an I phone/ I pad. We downloaded an app to use the sensor but could never get it to work. I called the company that makes it and got a run a round an was told to talk to the rep. The rep informed me that the sensor was useless and nothing but problems with it. He also told me that he no longer repped for the company and look for something else. Frustrated, we went back to visibly checking the batteries

So, yesterday, still getting low readings on the meter, we were trying to check the two wet cell batteries under the side bench and what a job. It took a while to finally check them. They were both low on water. The front battery was easily checked the back battery is fully under the fixed part of the seat. To check the back one you would need to remove the front battery and then move it foward. I left the rear battery in place figuring it was low as the front one was. Luckily I used the hydrometer to fill the rear battery. With the front battery I was able to use a paper cup.

The readings did not remarkably improve the next day...So after spending several hours working on this should be "easy project" I started to look for AGM 6v batteries. I was able to find them at a supplier about 50 miles away. We used the same size battery as the CG2 and they fit like a glove. The final step was to change the solar meter to the setting for AGM rather than wet cell. We already have a much steadier reading and hope to see a full charge tomorrow. I would suggest to go with the AGM and not look back.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
With a previous owner of the trailer, I cannot conclude that there was anything wrong with batteries that are not doing well except that maybe the previous owner did not take care of them, or not lately. It would take proper water and some days of good charging then to see the situation. Ours had been lower than I would like but once I used the trailer a while with hookups, they improved.

I looked at other types of batteries and they all have their drawbacks. The ones we have seem just fine to me.

Also, we have a 21' and the batteries are some trouble to get to, for sure. But we certainly never have to move a battery to check or add water to the other one. I take it that someone has changed the original set-up if that is the case? Or perhaps others are receiving their trailers that way?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I should have been checking the batteries on a more regular basis. That being said we needed to come up with a better and more forgiving solution. The batteries when we recived the trailer were in good shape and maybe a year old. They have done well for the last year and a half that we have owned the trailer . It boiled down to I needed to check them more often than I had. Senor moments being what thay are the checking apparently was lax.

The new AGM batteries seem to be charging well now since we have moved to a different campground with power. It will be nice not to have to try and remember to check them as I had done so well with the others.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote