19 Build Sheet: Zamp Port and Factory Solar Install questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
19 Build Sheet: Zamp Port and Factory Solar Install questions

We're working on our build sheet for our 19 and I'm trying to think through the solar components. We're getting the 170W solar panel, which comes with a PWM GoPower charge controller. Because we often try to camp in shade, I've been thinking about adding a Zamp port so that we could have a portable panel to supplement the roof mount. At least initially, we will have 2 6V batteries. We camp almost exclusively off grid. I have read a lot about solar, but never installed it. Practical input would be great.

When I asked about the Zamp port, our sales rep at ETI told me that they can wire it to the GoPower charge controller, so that it registers both the roof mount and the portable panel. All I have to do is get a portable panel without a built in charge controller. Has anyone done this arrangement and if so, how is it working for you? I've been thinking about it and I have some concerns.

My first goal is to have a flexible setup that allows us to harvest sun when the roof mount on the trailer is in shade. I think that if I want a roof mount and a portable to complement each other, they'd have to be wired in parallel. Otherwise, shading on the roof panel (or vice versa) would diminish the charging ability of the other panel. Is that correct?

My second goal is to have a portable system that I can easily move around (thereby making it easier to use). I think that the panels would have to be the same wattage if I want the system to work efficiently. But because the roof mount is 170W, the portable setup would have to be pretty big. In my solar dreams, I was thinking something more along the lines of 60W, which would be easy to use and transport in the TV. Am I correct that the panels should be similar or the same wattage?

If I want a smaller, more manageable portable panel in addition to the roof mount, I think it might work better if I actually have 2 systems. System 1 is the roof mount, which would run to the GoPower controller and System 2 is the Zamp panel, which would have its own built-in controller. Does that approach make more sense than trying to combine them at the GoPower controller? Or am I wildly overthinking this?

If you added the Zamp port, where did you instruct them to put it? It seems like it could actually be installed on the storage tub up front where the batteries are located in the 19. Or is there a better spot?

Finally, if you have the Zamp port, are you using Zamp panels, or have you found an adaptor that will enable you to attach other brands' panels to the Zamp port?

I apologize for the long post. I just want to try to think this through before we commit to expensive components. Thanks so much for any input you can provide.
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:00 AM   #2

Trailer: none yet
Hi, we had ETI install solar panel, 6V batteries and inverter and chose to also have them install (instead of prewire - same cost) our Zamp port. We bought the Zamp port over the phone at a solar company right down the street from ETI. The solar company hand delivered my Zamp port to our ETI salesperson That same day! When we drive from ca on May 22 to pick up our new trailer - we will also be going back over to the same solar company to buy a portable solar unit (called a Suitcase) which they also sell. They sell 2 different sizes. So both our portable and built in panel will use the same controller and ETI's controller amperage can handle both. Sorry I can't remember the solar company's name but I can get it tommorow as they are great and very knowledgeable and easy to talk over these questions you have.
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with a Furrion Solar Port which I had installed close to the Escape installed GoPower controller. In my 2014, that is in the cabinet above the sink. My portable panel is a 100 watt Lensun while my roof panel is 95 watts. I mounted my portable to a piece of plywood that is suspended in the area above the bed. The panels don’t need to be the same as long as the overall is within limits of the GoPower controller. My main goal was to have sufficient power when camping in winter when the sun angle reduces my power generation due to the suns angle.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
19 Build Sheet: Zamp Port and Factory Solar Install questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
We're getting the 170W solar panel, which comes with a PWM GoPower charge controller. Because we often try to camp in shade, I've been thinking about adding a Zamp port so that we could have a portable panel to supplement the roof mount.

This is a good plan that will provide versatile utility and all the advantages of both fixed and portable systems. Many of us have done the same.

Quote:
When I asked about the Zamp port, our sales rep at ETI told me that they can wire it to the GoPower charge controller, so that it registers both the roof mount and the portable panel. All I have to do is get a portable panel without a built in charge controller. Has anyone done this arrangement and if so, how is it working for you? I've been thinking about it and I have some concerns.
Yes. This arrangement works well. Even if you get a portable with a charge controller, you can easily rewire it to bypass the onboard controller.

Quote:
My first goal is to have a flexible setup that allows us to harvest sun when the roof mount on the trailer is in shade. I think that if I want a roof mount and a portable to complement each other, they'd have to be wired in parallel. Otherwise, shading on the roof panel (or vice versa) would diminish the charging ability of the other panel. Is that correct?
That is correct. If you have ETI wire the Zamp to the factory controller that will be a parallel setup. If you think about it, it would be much more difficult, not to mention electrically pointless, to wire them in series.

Quote:
My second goal is to have a portable system that I can easily move around (thereby making it easier to use). I think that the panels would have to be the same wattage if I want the system to work efficiently. But because the roof mount is 170W, the portable setup would have to be pretty big. In my solar dreams, I was thinking something more along the lines of 60W, which would be easy to use and transport in the TV. Am I correct that the panels should be similar or the same wattage?
Nominally, if you have multiple panels they should all put out the same voltage, or close to it. Remember though, that your intended use of the portable is when roof is shaded, ergo, it doesn’t matter if they’re the same since you will only be using one or the other at any given time. As long as they’re wired in parallel, and the total of both doesn’t exceed your controller capacity this will work well. We have two 160W panels on our E19 roof, but also plug in a 100W portable if we’re parked in shade. In this arrangement the smaller panel on the ground (in the sun) greatly outpaces the shaded roof panels.

Quote:
If I want a smaller, more manageable portable panel in addition to the roof mount, I think it might work better if I actually have 2 systems. System 1 is the roof mount, which would run to the GoPower controller and System 2 is the Zamp panel, which would have its own built-in controller. Does that approach make more sense than trying to combine them at the GoPower controller? Or am I wildly overthinking this?
This would also work. But I would not do it. Wiring everything to one controller is both simpler and more efficient, and you avoid the possibility of two charge controllers fighting against each other (eg one sees higher than battery voltage being put out by the other controller, then assumes the battery is full so goes to float, when it should still be in bulk. A single controller will take everything and then make the most of it. Other related points: solar controllers that come on portable panels are not known for being higher quality units, in general. And putting the solar controller at the panel end of your wiring run (vs the battery end) wastes amps. Rule of thumb: solar controller should always be located as close to batteries as practical. The stock ETI layout for the E19 is good in this respect.

Quote:
If you added the Zamp port, where did you instruct them to put it? It seems like it could actually be installed on the storage tub up front where the batteries are located in the 19. Or is there a better spot?
If you have it wired to onboard solar controller, then Zamp should be exterior to driver side front bench area, where the solar controller is located. If you go for a direct wire to batteries, you could put the Zamp on the front box, but then you’re back to two systems that may not play together as synergistically.

Quote:
Finally, if you have the Zamp port, are you using Zamp panels, or have you found an adaptor that will enable you to attach other brands' panels to the Zamp port?

You can use any panel you want as a portable. We use a Renogy briefcase unit when parked in the shade. Good unit, albeit heavy and bulky. You only need to splice a Zamp connector onto the leads of your extension cable so you can plug it into the trailer. Verify that you have polarity correct! Zamp differs from other companies in this respect. I recently built an adaptor of this type for a friend, and because of Zamp’s polarity switch the black and red wires on the adapter are opposite of their usual polarity. Double check to be sure you have it right.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
You would need a MC4 to SAE adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/iGreely-Adapt...-1-spons&psc=1

This one comes with an adaptor to switch polarity from Zamp standard polarity to SAE standard polarity.
Attached Thumbnails
61bxDLjUc8L._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
A single controller will take everything and then make the most of it.
Gotta say, I agree with all your advise, pretty much what I was thinking.

One clarification though, is that an MPPT controller makes the most of all the input from the panel array, while the Escape supplied PWM controller takes the voltage it needs and discards anything above that. This said, if you see a full or near full charge daily through the PWM controller, this point is moot. Only if you really need to eke out every bit of charge would an MPPT controller be advantageous.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

This one comes with an adaptor to switch polarity from Zamp standard polarity to SAE standard polarity.
With my Go Power 80W portable panel I had to build an adapter from Anderson Powerpole connectors to the Zamp. To minimize confusion to a potential future owner, I cut the leads inside real short and changed the polarity there so the cables to the controller were correct. I do like that little polarity switching connector though, I had not seen one before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With my Go Power 80W portable panel I had to build an adapter from Anderson Powerpole connectors to the Zamp. To minimize confusion to a potential future owner, I cut the leads inside real short and changed the polarity there so the cables to the controller were correct. I do like that little polarity switching connector though, I had not seen one before.
I did the same thing with my Zamp port - I cut the leads close to the port, soldered / heat shrinked the leads to SAE standard polarity, and connected it to the solar controller.

The only portable solar panel I have seen that uses Zamp standard polarity is a Zamp. All other panels use MC4 connectors and the wiring polarity color code matches the SAE standard.

Since the chances of my owning a Zamp is right up there with walking on water, setting the port to the SAE standard makes sense.

I like the Lensun portable solar panel I bought. It's light and stores in the clothes cabinet in the trailer. I noticed it now comes in 100, 160, and 200 watt versions - I have the 100 watt.

Lensun 100W ETFE Flexible Foldable Solar Panel

Lensun 160W ETFE Flexible Folding Solar Panel

Lensun 200W ETFE Flexible Folding Solar Panel
Old 04-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Nice find!

I ended up using this one and replacing one side with the MC4 connections and flipping polarity with the new connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Gauge...dp/B0057ZQJ12/
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
All other panels use MC4 connectors and the wiring polarity color code matches the SAE standard.

I like the Lensun portable solar panel I bought. It's light and stores in the clothes cabinet in the trailer. I noticed it now comes in 100, 160, and 200 watt versions - I have the 100 watt.
'cept for Go Power using powerpole which though great for high amperage, is rather clunky. I might change all mine out to MC4, but for now.......

After using the Lensun on the roof, I too would go for one of their portable solutions to save weight and volume. Unfortunately I had the Go Power unit from before, and it does work, so........
Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Thanks, everyone. This has been incredibly helpful. I was a little disappointed to see the PWM controller instead of MPPT, but one must endure. My longer term plan (after recovering from this initial purchase) would be to install an MPPT controller and a more elegant battery monitor. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about Victron, which makes many solar components. The Victron battery monitor comes with a Bluetooth component so that you can see the battery levels on your smart phone (link below). That way, I can check the battery levels while sitting at my desk at work.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart

Victron also apparently plays well with other brands and with lithium. But not all current components work properly with lithium (or they work, but not at full efficiency). At some point, I will switch to lithium, so I'm trying to engage in some productive daydreaming in the meantime. Has anyone swapped the GoPower PWM for an MPPT controller and if so, what did you use?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. This has been incredibly helpful. I was a little disappointed to see the PWM controller instead of MPPT, but one must endure. My longer term plan (after recovering from this initial purchase) would be to install an MPPT controller and a more elegant battery monitor. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about Victron, which makes many solar components. The Victron battery monitor comes with a Bluetooth component so that you can see the battery levels on your smart phone (link below). That way, I can check the battery levels while sitting at my desk at work.

Victron also apparently plays well with other brands and with lithium. But not all current components work properly with lithium (or they work, but not at full efficiency). At some point, I will switch to lithium, so I'm trying to engage in some productive daydreaming in the meantime. Has anyone swapped the GoPower PWM for an MPPT controller and if so, what did you use?
If you are thinking of swapping the GoPower with a Victron controller, you might want to instruct Escape to not mount the GoPower display. It leaves a big hole in the paneling and isn't needed with the Victron as it's bluetooth.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

The Victron controller and battery monitor are Bluetooth, not wireless Internet. You can be perhaps 10 feet from the camper to check you batteries. Unless your desk at work is in your camper you won't be able to monitor your batteries at work.

We have the Victron Monitor in a box that I'll install in the next month. Contrary to what some want to believe, the difference between charging with a PWM vs a MPPT is so minor it will have to offer some bells and whistles before I'll remove the GoPower Controller.

Our GoPower controller was zip-tied underneath the rear bench in our camper and I'm not OCD, so that's where it will stay. We have a volt meter in the 12v plug where you enter the camper, that I can move anywhere, to instantly check the voltage. I will just probably install the Victron Battery Monitor underneath the bench too and read it using Bluetooth.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The Victron controller and battery monitor are Bluetooth, not wireless Internet. You can be perhaps 10 feet from the camper to check you batteries. Unless your desk at work is in your camper you won't be able to monitor your batteries at work.
Hi Perry, thanks for making the distinction! I got carried away. Although, in my case, I actually do work directly adjacent to where the camper will be parked, so the spirit of my dream was correct, if not the actual means. Thanks for the input with the Victron - from all that I've heard, I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I will just probably install the Victron Battery Monitor underneath the bench too and read it using Bluetooth.
I mounted the Victron battery monitor up where it was easy to see. Handy to have it where, at a glance, I can tell what % battery charge I have left.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
I mounted the Victron battery monitor up where it was easy to see. Handy to have it where, at a glance, I can tell what % battery charge I have left.
Me too. I put ours above the cooktop in the upper cabinet, right above the the Escape panel.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We ordered the Victron Battery Monitor while we were having battery problems on the road and had it sent to a friend's home in Mesa. In the end it was a bad cell in one of the batteries. We exchanged our batteries (under warranty) for two new batteries and the problems were over. The new batteries arrived in Phoenix a day before the new Victron BM arrived, so rather than install on our trip, I'll do it soon.

I had a Minnesota issued, low-voltage electrical license for years for my school's IT work, so in the past 8 months have had quite a time learning about solar installations, monitors, and controllers. The simple 12v plug/monitor works well for simple monitoring. However, if I would have had the Victron BM installed, I would have found the problem much earlier. And no, I don't want to cut a hole I don't need in our Escape for a monitor. When I do need the monitor I'll simply lift the passenger side dinette seat to read the BM. YMMV!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Maximum solar potential for E19

What is the maximum anyone has done here for an Escape 19' in terms of solar panels?

It appears that 2x 160W panels on E19 roof plug in a 160W portable appears to be the most I've seen.

We are planning our E19 build also and want to use as much renewable energy as possible. Because my wife needs special equipment for her medical needs and in situations of boon docking, better safe than sorry.

Thanks!
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
What is the maximum anyone has done here for an Escape 19' in terms of solar panels?

It appears that 2x 160W panels on E19 roof plug in a 100W portable appears to be the most I've seen.

We are planning our E19 build also and want to use as much renewable energy as possible. Because my wife needs special equipment for her medical needs and in situations of boon docking, better safe than sorry.

Thanks!
The stock Go Power controller has a max input of ~500 watts.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
The stock Go Power controller has a max input of ~500 watts.
That's helpful to know. I don't know how to really measure our usage vs sunlight. There are so many variables to consider. But thank you for that. I'll keep on reading and learning.
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar panel, zamp