2 - Way Hot Water Tank (Has two power sources, Propane or 120V) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I always have trouble with that recommendation. My belief is that any contaminants in the tank can cause it not to fully seat and remain drip free.

However there do seem to be a lot of folks that do it. But then there's been lot's of questions about dripping PRV's.

I don't find it onerous to open the hot water tap, let the system rid itself of air and then close the tap when water comes out. I know then that the hot water tank is full.

Ron
I kinda feel the same way. I don't think I have ever opened the pressure release cake on a hot water tank. Kinda like using a breaker as an on/off switch on a regular basis. Not what either was designed for.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is the lever for then?
Attached Thumbnails
pressure relief open.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is the lever for then?

To test it annually?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
I always have trouble with that recommendation. My belief is that any contaminants in the tank can cause it not to fully seat and remain drip free.

However there do seem to be a lot of folks that do it. But then there's been lot's of questions about dripping PRV's.

I don't find it onerous to open the hot water tap, let the system rid itself of air and then close the tap when water comes out. I know then that the hot water tank is full.

Ron

I admit I agree with you and usually do the same thing. But I felt obligated to mention it since during orientation, Escape specifically said that the valve was the right way to check it. YMMV
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
According to Watts it should be tested once a year.

"but frequent relief can build up natural mineral deposits on the valve seat, rendering the valve inoperative. "

"Valve lever must be tripped at least once a year to ensure that waterways are clear. "

Personally I've removed a lot of PVR's from tanks that I'm junking and throw them in my scrap brass box. OK, I'm cheap. If you saw the crap that accumulates in a tank you'd be resistant to letting it run over the valve seat. I never have and I've never had a a leaking PVR. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #46

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
both the filter and pressure regulator should be at at the source so that your hose supply is protected. Once hooked up, you run the hot water until your water heater is filled, and water is coming out of the hot spigot, then you turn on the heat.
So my hot water heater was working fine for the first two days and then on the third day the water heater red light came on indicating the hot water heater was no longer lit. Since we were leaving that day I didn't attempt to relight it. Any thoughts on why the red light would come on after things were working just fine for the first couple of days?
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #47

Out of propane?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #48

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
No it wasn't that.
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
So my hot water heater was working fine for the first two days and then on the third day the water heater red light came on indicating the hot water heater was no longer lit. Since we were leaving that day I didn't attempt to relight it. Any thoughts on why the red light would come on after things were working just fine for the first couple of days?
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be that the connector to the water heater control board needed to be re-seated and then it worked. Reace told me at Osoyoos that almost always, a problem with the water heater is the control board.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Ron: Some that don’t understand their plumbing may not realize that water will still come out of the hot water side even with valves in bypass mode. Water heater won’t be filled. I believe that what you are saying is you know based on the large amount of air displaced that the hot water tank is filling. It sputters and spits for awhile. I get it. I just did this last Thursday. I still walked outside and cracked the P&T relief valve just to be 100% certain. Couldn’t help myself.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a good point. Yes, if the by-pass is closed there'll be a few fizzes and burps and water will start coming out. When the hot water tank is filling there's fizzes and burbs coming out of the tap for a much, much longer time.

To each their own about tripping the lever. Just replaced a hot water tank this week. I pulled the PVR out. This is the crud just waiting to come out when the lever is tripped and maybe turn the tank into a chronic dripper.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
prv_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #52

Speaking of crud in the hot water heater....never bought one of those wands but set the garden hose nozzle on the jet setting and blasted it into the tank yesterday through the drain/anode opening. The gunk on the ground afterwards was incredible. Putting that task on a more regular schedule.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and you wonder why your pump does not clog more often.....
Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and you wonder why your pump does not clog more often.....
I think it is mostly the minerals that precipitate out of the water only at the higher temperatures in the hot water heater. Luckily most of this seems to just settle at the bottom. Also the pump is pumping water into the water heater so it should never see any of this crud even if some did leave the water heater.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
pumping water into a tank of crud could result in some crud leaving the water heater and clogging your sink aerator also....
Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #56

When we bought or 2010 17B in 2015 the water system had been poorly (not at all) maintained. The water heater was full of the white chunky sediment, but it also came through all of the hot lines and clogged the faucet airators. Yuck.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape19
Quote:
That's a good point. Yes, if the by-pass is closed there'll be a few fizzes and burps and water will start coming out. When the hot water tank is filling there's fizzes and burbs coming out of the tap for a much, much longer time.

To each their own about tripping the lever. Just replaced a hot water tank this week. I pulled the PVR out. This is the crud just waiting to come out when the lever is tripped and maybe turn the tank into a chronic dripper.

Ron
Thank you. That is good to know that even it’s bypass still hot water comes out... so if hot water tank is filling how long will it take? Like 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes?
jmcrv2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrv2017 View Post
Thank you. That is good to know that even it’s bypass still hot water comes out... so if hot water tank is filling how long will it take? Like 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes?
Well not hot water . The cold water just loops around into the hot pipe. See graphic that I put together when we were troubleshooting the bypass in another thread. Just an estimation but the pump capacity is 3 gallons per minute (GPM) and the hot water tank is 6 gallons. So approximately 2 minutes to fill the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
HWH piping.jpg  
Old 10-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Well not hot water . The cold water just loops around into the hot pipe. See graphic that I put together when we were troubleshooting the bypass in another thread. Just an estimation but the pump capacity is 3 gallons per minute (GPM) and the hot water tank is 6 gallons. So approximately 2 minutes to fill the tank.
Thanks for your explanation! The picture, how did you take(from where)? The tank in picture is water heater tank? I could not find the by pass valve.
jmcrv2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Look under the rear bed.