2 - Way Hot Water Tank (Has two power sources, Propane or 120V) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
2 - Way Hot Water Tank (Has two power sources, Propane or 120V)

Escapes 19 foot lists the following option:

After checking the standard features list and searching the forum would someone please clarify what the standard water tank power source is?

Cheers
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #2

When you order a 2-way water heater, you basically get an electric heating element added to the propane fired water heater. One of the great benefits of the 2-way water heater is running BOTH heat sources at the same time ( if you have shore power ), giving you near instantaneous hot water with a much shorter recovery time. Otherwise, they do also work great on just propane.

BTW: "6 Gal DSI H/W tank" -> DSI = Direct Spark Ignition
Old 03-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
When you order a 2-way water heater, you basically get an electric heating element added to the propane fired water heater. One of the great benefits of the 2-way water heater is running BOTH heat sources at the same time ( if you have shore power ), giving you near instantaneous hot water with a much shorter recovery time. Otherwise, they do also work great on just propane.

BTW: "6 Gal DSI H/W tank" -> DSI = Direct Spark Ignition
Thanks Thiggins,

We have had one very small trailer without any amenities, a porta potty and no hot water...just whatever the stove will heat or other propane appliance that we carried.
The dual heater sounds like a neat option with shore power.
My original question was based on the premise of not trying to improve something that is already goof proof!!?
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
My original question was based on the premise of not trying to improve something that is already goof proof!!?
Using the propane only is foolproof, but it is nice to have the added benefit of using 120V if you are on the grid, saving on your propane consumption.

What we like most, is that if on the grid you leave it on all the time, and always have hot water. Off the grid we usually only turn it on 20 minutes before needing it, then turn it off again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The electric heating element is great when you have shore power - the tank is always full of hot water. When we are dry camping we tend to only turn on the propane hot water heater when we need it because it has some fumes as well as burner noise and we like to have the windows open. Also, no need to burn propane when you have an electric connection that you're paying for anyway. And when you have shore power and want to use the shower, turning on the propane to supplement the electric heating does speed up the recovery time a lot.
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In the 8 years of owning a fiberglass trailer we have never run the trailer's water heater on propane . Maybe someday ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Duals

When camped we do not have hookups a lot of the time. Since we started Escape Camping in 2013 we have never used the Electric water heating feature on either Escape. We fire the propane water heater first thing in the morning, once it makes and we get ready for the day we turn it off. Then we fire it for showers at bedtime and turn it off for the night once it recovers. It’s still fairly warm in the morning and doesn’t take long to make temp. Everybody camps differently all things considered.
Iowa “surface area” Dave
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
Escapes 19 foot lists the following option:

After checking the standard features list and searching the forum would someone please clarify what the standard water tank power source is?

Cheers
If you want to look at the actual units any further the stock unit is a Suburban SW6D and the 2-way option which adds the electric mode is the SW6DE.

Direct Spark Ignition

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...ter_Manual.pdf
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It's interesting that some feel that electricity is free, your cg fee does include it, but using it to keep water hot 24/7, in my opinion is energy wasteful. It's bad enough to have to use propane for an hour but that electric is being generated somewhere at the expense of coal or oil burning. Remember during the energy crunch with alternate fuel days and lights being turned off. Believe me the cg fees have increased due to higher electric use also. We all try to eek out the most efficient tow vehicle to use towing and daily driver, why not do the same while camping.
As an alternative, I'd suggest using the electric with your propane to heat the water quicker and then turn both off, what you save in propane is consumed by electric but once the electric is off it will save some energy just sitting there. Good idea??
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It's interesting that some feel that electricity is free, your cg fee does include it, but using it to keep water hot 24/7, in my opinion is energy wasteful.
For those that do not have an on demand water heater at home, how many turn their water heater off when not in use? I would bet none.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I'm hooked up to shore power, the water heater is on most of the time on electric. The only time I can remember I've turned it off is when it's HOT outside. I promise I won't turn on the air conditioner and use the park's electric grid... oh wait, I don't have an air conditioner. Which one do you think is a bigger drain or 'waste' of electricity?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We realized a considerable decrease in propane consumption for heating water at home when we installed geothermal heating as the supplemental water heater tank is not hooked up to propane but rather is used to heat water as part of the geothermal pump function. Final heating to the temp we like for daily use is done with propane. Water comes in at about 55 degrees from the well, is heated to about 80 degrees by the geo coil and then the rest of the way with propane.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only time I can remember I've turned it off is when it's HOT outside.
When it is really hot outside the uninsulated fresh water tank underneath has warm water and the insulated hot water tank (OFF) has cooler water. Turn on your cold for warm and your hot for cool.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #14

Would placing a solar water heater grid on the roof of the trailer save more energy and polute less than having a solar panel on the roof ?. I have installed several solar water heater systems on restaurants and they seem to have worked well .
Maybe they could put a combination panel on the trailer roof ?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you want to look at the actual units any further the stock unit is a Suburban SW6D and the 2-way option which adds the electric mode is the SW6DE.
and my favorite, the SWDEL which adds the relay for remote electrical on/off switch.

Suburban SW6DEL Porcelain-Lined Steel Tank Water Heater-6 gal.

The SWDEL model allows an inside 12 volt DC switch as well as the outside 120 volt AC switch for the electric heating element. The inside 12 volt DC switch powers a relay which switches the 120 volt AC power to the heater.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
At home, I have 2 X electric 55 gallon water heaters, one for the 2 baths and one for the kitchen/laundry. Each is on a timer, on at 4 am off at 7 am, on again at 4 pm and off again at 7 pm, so each is on 25% of the day.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
and my favorite, the SWDEL which adds the relay for remote electrical on/off switch.

Suburban SW6DEL Porcelain-Lined Steel Tank Water Heater-6 gal.

The SWDEL model allows an inside 12 volt DC switch as well as the outside 120 volt AC switch for the electric heating element. The inside 12 volt DC switch powers a relay which switches the 120 volt AC power to the heater.
Hey, that's what I have........now!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I can think of several reasons for running the electric hot water or not when you have hookups. But saving the campground electricity isn't one of them. The electric element doesn't run constantly, just enough to heat up or maintain hot water. The amount of electricity it would use is miniscule compared to running the AC, and I don't see many RV park folks foregoing that and sweating it out to save the campground money. Also, many campgrounds charge you for electric in addition to the site fee, particularly the long term ones.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the dual electric/propane water heater and after 5 yrs have yet to use electricity for heating the water. Maybe someday when I am staying longer term in sites with electricity it will get used, but these days it is much simpler for me to turn on the propane for a half-hour twice a day to heat water for dishes or bathing. I find that propane usage is pretty minimal and not even noticeable compared to what my propane grill or fire bowl are using.

Edit: One of the things that make usage of the electric a bit of a pain for me is that you have to go outside and open the hot water heater hatch to turn on/off the electric.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I can think of several reasons for running the electric hot water or not when you have hookups. But saving the campground electricity isn't one of them. The electric element doesn't run constantly, just enough to heat up or maintain hot water. The amount of electricity it would use is miniscule compared to running the AC, and I don't see many RV park folks foregoing that and sweating it out to save the campground money. Also, many campgrounds charge you for electric in addition to the site fee, particularly the long term ones.
Wisconsin State Parks now charge $10.00 a day extra for a campsite with electricity. If I ran my A/C and water heater all day , I could not consume $10 worth of electricity When they get reasonable with their charges , I will get reasonable with my usage. Some of the campgrounds in our area now charge $5 / day if you have A/C on your trailer whether you run it or not..
Hardly an incentive to conserve