6 volt battery/ charging question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
6 volt battery/ charging question

I’m hoping this question hasn’t been asked a hundred times before, I searched but could find an answer. My 2017 19 foot has been stored under a cover since March. I have had the trailer plugged in to shore power the whole time and the battery disconnect switch is in the on position. I noticed on the Go Power panel is saying my 6 volt batteries are only at 90% charged, why wouldn’t they be fully charged? Also the, battery reading is 14.9 volts, isn’t that high? I’ll admit batteries are not something I know a lot about but when I looked to see the water level I noticed on both batteries small bubbles coming up to the surface, is this normal.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Answers
1. 90% is 100%
2. 14.9 Can be observed after the periodic boost charge to desulphate the unit. That is programmed in about once a month and at that time you might see 100% on the readout.
3. Bubbles are normal, that’s why the batteries stored in the trailer interior have a hose going out of the battery box to vent outside. On the 19 if they are in the front box, there’s no hose ( or at least there wasn’t on our 19.
Check the water in your batteries and use distilled water to bring the level above the plates if they are showing.
Others will no doubt correct me. My information came from Nigel at Escape. His exact quote “ Look at me and listen, 90% is 100%. Do you believe me? Don’t forget that.”
Good enough for me for the past three years.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Answers
1. 90% is 100%
2. 14.9 Can be observed after the periodic boost charge to desulphate the unit. That is programmed in about once a month and at that time you might see 100% on the readout.
3. Bubbles are normal, that’s why the batteries stored in the trailer interior have a hose going out of the battery box to vent outside. On the 19 if they are in the front box, there’s no hose ( or at least there wasn’t on our 19.
Check the water in your batteries and use distilled water to bring the level above the plates if they are showing.
Others will no doubt correct me. My information came from Nigel at Escape. His exact quote “ Look at me and listen, 90% is 100%. Do you believe me? Don’t forget that.”
Good enough for me for the past three years.
Iowa Dave
Thanks! Now I’ll just move on to replacing my regulator which seems to be having issues.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Seems like three of four years on the regulator is common for replacement. That’s what our 2010 went and our 2013 had been replaced when we got it in 2017 although the previous owner replaced it before it went bad and I kept it in a box in the garage. Could bail me out I suppose but I don’t carry it on the road.......yet.
Lots of people buy the Marshall as a replacement, made in Michigan.
Check your pigtails and your supply line from the regulator to the hard piping under the trailer too. I like the regular leak detecting “soap bubbles” with the enclosed dauber. Easy to use and lots of bubbles if connection leaks.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Seems like three of four years on the regulator is common for replacement. That’s what our 2010 went and our 2013 had been replaced when we got it in 2017 although the previous owner replaced it before it went bad and I kept it in a box in the garage. Could bail me out I suppose but I don’t carry it on the road.......yet.
Lots of people buy the Marshall as a replacement, made in Michigan.
Check your pigtails and your supply line from the regulator to the hard piping under the trailer too. I like the regular leak detecting “soap bubbles” with the enclosed dauber. Easy to use and lots of bubbles if connection leaks.
Iowa Dave
I saw on the form the Marshall which is what I have ordered, just for fun and they are cheap replacing the pigtails at the same time. Now to figure out how to disconnect the regulator from the line going to the trailer, escape has some very strong people.