600 watt Yamaha generator? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
It seems to me that people that use generators always like to put them on the far side of their trailer which essentially becomes my picnic table area. I'm for no generators unless boondocking.

I always left mine in the truck box with my tri fold tonneau cover open one third, you couldn't hear it unless you were fairly close and listening for it, and only for an hour or so during allotted times. But have camped next to people that have had large open frame generators running all day.

I also noticed that the people that put there generators as far from their trailers as possible (sometimes closer to mine then theirs) are usually the same ones that let their kids and dogs run through other peoples campsites and think everyone wants to hear their music.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My plan for the next power outage is to move into the trailer. Last time we had no power for four days in the dead of winter ( snow storm, atypical Vancouver ). Huddled in the front room, which has a wood burning fire place.
Makes more sense to move to the driveway. Take some food to the trailer fridge, leave taps on at a trickle so they don't freeze. Trailer isn't that much smaller than the house.
My Honda 1000i will keep battery topped up.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was at Pfeffer State Park in Big Sur, CA last week-an iconic campground that we have stayed at a fair amount over the last 30 years. Last week a nice enough camper from Myrtle Beach was running his open frame generator which I think is usually used for running an airless? Annoying to say the least.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
SteveO, where ya been Late to the generator party!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was at Pfeffer State Park in Big Sur, CA last week-an iconic campground that we have stayed at a fair amount over the last 30 years. Last week a nice enough camper from Myrtle Beach was running his open frame generator which I think is usually used for running an airless? Annoying to say the least.
How about calling in an airstrike?
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
SteveO, where ya been Late to the generator party!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #28

Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #29

We've been partying to much recently...

Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #30

You take that video at Jalama? I don't remember anybody wearing dresses.

(meet us at Carp next week, call in sick!)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #31

Quote:
You take that video at Jalama? I don't remember anybody wearing dresses.

(meet us at Carp next week, call in sick!)
Those were some test Margaritas minus the ice and mixer...can't get sick yet...the new boss needs a little more training..
Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My plan for the next power outage is to move into the trailer. Last time we had no power for four days in the dead of winter ( snow storm, atypical Vancouver ). Huddled in the front room, which has a wood burning fire place.
Makes more sense to move to the driveway. Take some food to the trailer fridge, leave taps on at a trickle so they don't freeze. Trailer isn't that much smaller than the house.
My Honda 1000i will keep battery topped up.
Good emergency planning Glen.
Al
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0
I don't run a generator for fun, using a microwave, a blender, or any of the countless other so called necessities of life. I'm talking charging the batteries and making sure the fridge functions. I hardly ever drive except when necessary, I walk most places, when we had inspections that rated your fuel use I always scored in the excellent class for low fuel consumption. I also always respect peoples need for quiet and I hope they respect my needs in an emergency.
Al
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Agreed. Drives me nuts when people sit around a camp fire and laugh and sing when I'm trying to sleep or read a book.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Agreed. Drives me nuts when people sit around a camp fire and laugh and sing when I'm trying to sleep or read a book.
That's why you carry a generator, drowns all that noise.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
OK, OK, all generator owners aren't created equal.
This is very true. Proper use with a generator when amongst other people not known to you, is a matter of using respect.

Some of the worst offenders are the mohos with the built-in generators. I have yet to see a quiet one. At a music festival last summer, there was one parked right beside our group of 4 trailers. The owner did tell us that he needed to run it in order to make their morning coffee. We reluctantly agreed, but after hearing that thing right beside use drowning out all the peace and quiet (it made ever conversing hard) we instead offered to make them some coffee. He finally accepted, and agreed that he would buy a coffee maker that would not require 120V to operate.
Quote:
Boy o boy, better not come camping with our group then, not only do we laugh and sing, but imbibe in alcohol too which only increases our volume. Mind you, we are not usually around others, so nobody but the coyotes complain, and they just sing along. There is generally up to a dozen or more of us.

BTW, I have no issue with someone using a small quiet generator at an appropriate time of the day, and respectfully placing it in the least bothersome location.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What's an acceptable and courteous use of a generator in a campground? I would answer that I don't know, but I know it when I see it. Some have bothered us, and some have not. Common sense and a little awareness of your surroundings goes a long way. It isn't so much that those obnoxiously noisy campers next door are trying to be obnoxious - it just never occurs to them that they might be. We have also found through tent camping over decades, that a little kindness and friendliness from us is usually reciprocated.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We carry a Yamaha 2400 during longer trips (like weeks at a time). We don't use it much, and wonder sometimes why we carry it, but when the batteries need charging or it's 100 degrees outside, it comes in handy. The Yamaha is as quiet as the Honda's and provides a little more power that comes in handy for the air-conditioner (especially the ones without a soft start). The generator resides in the pickup, even when running, so it's fairly secure and the noise is muffled even more. When connected to A/C, running the air-conditioner is almost as noisy as running the generator. Many times we can't hear our generator over another generator two or three sites away from ours. We are very mindful of others and hope not to hinder anyone's joy while camping.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have camped beside others with generators who had no regard for the noise they were creating. It makes for an unhappy camping experience.

That being said, I did not realize how loud the air conditioner in my 19' was until I walked around our campsite at Dead Horse Point SP one afternoon when the A/C was on. I was embarrassed to find out that the sound from our A/C could be heard for a large distance away from the camper. After that, we made sure to use it more sporadically when possible and tried to avoid having the A/C on during the night when people are trying to sleep. The DHPSP campground is quite wide open and it is possible that treed sites would have absorbed the sounds better. Of course, with treed sites, you often don't need the A/C.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
When we purchased our generator I went for the Honda 2000i, even though their 1000 watt model would have been enough for just charging the trailer batteries. It was fortunate that I chose this model, because with its feature to vary the engine speed according to power being drawn, it runs at low speed. The 1000W model would have been running closer to full speed a lot of the time and making more noise. The 2000i is far louder when running at full speed. Something to think about when choosing a generator. Maybe the Yamaha 2400 would be a better option.

I asked Reace about running our Escape 21's air conditioner and he said the Honda 2000i will do it, but I will have to switch off the battery circuit to be able to run it. Considering we will likely only use it if we travel to the southern US states, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote