600 watt Yamaha generator? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0
600 watt Yamaha generator?

I haven't tried using it yet to top up the trailers batteries, the 600w. generator, but have been thinking about it. The thought being the 95 watt solar panel seems to do a fine job, so why not this generator. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Al

Small, quiet and works on overcast days, in the shade and even at night.
Whats not to like, I think it would be a good supplement to the solar.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
At one time I was in your shoes. For me it was boondocking and running out of battery. I knew something had to be done. A generator was on the top of the list. I read what I could and determined that the Honda was the only way to go, seeing them but not hearing them convinced me even more.

Further research pointed out three deal killers for me. Where to transport the bugger, how to keep it from growing legs and walking away and how to carry fuel? I did not have the luxury of a truck bed (and you may not either, now or in the future) and was not interested in fabricating a tongue bracket.

I am now on my second solar unit, the first went with my 19 trailer during the sale. Both have been portable because I am often in deep forests for extended times and have to search out the sun. Researching and installing the units has been fun and I have learned a great deal. The solar unit is 120 watts and folds for storage in the wardrobe. I do not take it on all trips. It plugs into an outlet (inlet) on the side of the Escape with a common extension cord giving me a number of distance options by using different length and gauge extension cords.

It does not charge while traveling down the highway, but then the tow vehicle does give the battery a bit of a boost while driving. Depending on location I can be using it every day, always trying to keep the batteries topped off and never knowing when a series of sunless days might appear. It works very well, it does require a few minutes to set up, probably about the same time as a generator requires. Depending on trees, sun angle and campsite it does take more ongoing maintenance to move it to the sunny spot and get the best angle.

Best of all, I never hear it.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments Doug.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Thanks for your comments Doug.
Thanks Al I forgot to mention its also great around the house when the power goes out....

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Hi Paul I'm considering adding a second solar panel to the roof as well but I do already have the generator, we bought it when we had our Westphalia. We had Dual 12 volts batteries installed on the Westy and a 50 watt solar panel which made me a believer in solar too. The wet coast is unfortunately not as sunny as a lot of the continent is.

Al
Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Hello Ray N
I don't know why your post does not show up here but I will respond. Our previous experience with solar panels has taught us it's good to have a back-up. For instance, while camping along the the Bow River near Calgary the cold and lack of sun light depleted our batteries to a point where everything was near shut down. I'm always cautious about about putting all my eggs in one basket since then. I will inform the forum as to how this works out when I have something meaningful to say.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Hello Ray N
I don't know why your post does not show up here but I will respond. Our previous experience with solar panels has taught us it's good to have a back-up. For instance, while camping along the the Bow River near Calgary the cold and lack of sun light depleted our batteries to a point where everything was near shut down. I'm always cautious about about putting all my eggs in one basket since then. I will inform the forum as to how this works out when I have something meaningful to say.
A very good point- I don't want to be limited to one or two power sources. I plan on using a combination of dual 6 volt batteries, 160 watt solar, a portable generator, and/or shore power. A small, quiet, portable generator is a handy item, both on the road and at home.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Honda 1000 rides in the aisle of the trailer. At camp it sits outside with all the other stuff, unless we are away from camp. Then it goes in the back of the RAV. The gas cap has a shut off for the vent so fumes aren't an issue.
The 4 litre gas can goes in my cargo box at the rear. I used to have it tied to the battery box, but somebody borrowed my gas one night and neglected to replace the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do they make a 600W generator? I see 1000's.

I have a Honda 2000, have yet to need to refill it while on a 2 week trip, these things do not burn much gas. I fill it up before leaving and don't take extra, if needed I'd hit a gas station.

There is quite a long run time to charge the batteries with it, I wonder how long it would take with a 600 watt. I like the idea of running the generator for a few hours to get the batteries up to roughly 80%, then let a solar panel top it off from there. Even at a relatively quiet 60 db's, the sound gets old quick, at least to us.

On the Honda, the gas cap has an off and on setting, supposedly in the off you would get no fumes from it. While I have a truck, I have stored it just inside the camper door when parked at a campsite and I'm off running around. In the off position you could keep it in the TV when you are back on site and not using it. At under 30 lbs it wouldn't be much of a hassle to move back and forth.

For security I just use a Python cable lock wrapped tight around the generator going through the handle. Then use a 2nd to lock it to the rear bumper. Of course a crook can cut it, but I've not heard of such happening. There are other ways but this is sufficient for me.
Attached Thumbnails
python.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Maybe one of these when traveling? Amazon.com: ALEKO® WG600 600W 600 Watt Residential Wind Generator Wind Turbine: Home Improvement 600 Watt Wind Generator?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Was chatting with a fellow Quartzsite camper last week who told me he heard over the last year 18 portable generators got stolen. Just sayin'.
Attached Thumbnails
DV-B002.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Myron, Never been there but are these generators out where it can be seen and possibly stolen?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hi Myron, Never been there but are these generators out where it can be seen and possibly stolen?
My guess is yes, they were seen, and yes, they were stolen.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have a Honda 2000W generator for two reasons. We are often camped in shade and/or under cloudy skies PLUS we need to charge the battery for our Minnkota boat motor every few days anyway so we do both at the same time. We secure it to our trailer bumper with a bike cable and a keyed lock. I guess the likelihood of it being stolen depends on where you are camping. I know of one lake where the locals are known to steal equipment and I would hesitate to leave my generator outside the truck, even with a cable and lock. Other places we camp and fish I haven't heard of any thefts. In general, near towns and cities I worry about theft more and keep it in my truck (locked canopy) when not in use.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

Thanks for your responses Glen and Bob. You probably can't find it because it's 20yrs. old but is hardly used, my wife can't stand listening to it either.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We have a Honda 2000W generator for two reasons. We are often camped in shade and/or under cloudy skies PLUS we need to charge the battery for our Minnkota boat motor every few days anyway so we do both at the same time. We secure it to our trailer bumper with a bike cable and a keyed lock. I guess the likelihood of it being stolen depends on where you are camping. I know of one lake where the locals are known to steal equipment and I would hesitate to leave my generator outside the truck, even with a cable and lock. Other places we camp and fish I haven't heard of any thefts. In general, near towns and cities I worry about theft more and keep it in my truck (locked canopy) when not in use.

Bob K
I agree lock away everything easily moved sad isn't it.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
One poster from another forum "altered" his brand new gennie to look ... like a piece of garbage. He was pleased with the results and in his mind, taking the shine off made it less noticeable.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Some people just don't like generators. I'm not one of them. OK, OK, all generator owners aren't created equal. We all know dummies who crank 'em up to watch Honey Boo Boo in crowded campgrounds. I wouldn't think of cranking mine up if it would bother others. For folks who want one, tho why not get the one that's going to really be of value.

I have a Honda 2000i. Seems like it is the optimum generator for topping batteries, running the ac, microwave, coffee pot and using at home to power my refrig and a couple lights if the power goes out. Uses very little gas and has the same db rating as the 1000 and the smaller ones. So why mess with a smaller one that really won't do much of anything besides provide cloudy days insurance for the batteries?

G
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
It seems to me that people that use generators always like to put them on the far side of their trailer which essentially becomes my picnic table area. I'm for no generators unless boondocking.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote