A word of caution on the new "self-dumping awning - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Come to another Fall NOG and we'll give it a workout and determine it's ability
No doubt, 18 days with rain pretty much every day, and a few days where it was extremely wicked, but made for really cool ocean watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Jim, did you check the setting on the sensor? Ours was set originally between 3 and 4. I tried 1 and it is very sensitive, it still takes about 8 seconds but very minor shaking set it off. I have it on 8 so it does not go off now though since there is an issue with ours possibly catching the tab on the front.
It's a good last resort but I do not plan on trusting it when I fix the slope problem. I'll retract if we are not around the trailer.
At least doing so is easy now. I do remember the one with an 18 footer it was a pain to do by myself. Even the 10 foot on the last was not quick to do, Push a button now and watch.
I do plan to reset my awning, just have not got around to it. I may try a setting of 8 first to see how that works for me.

You are right, to retract it is so darn easy now. I am more than glad to do that for potential winds, just disappointing I have to do it in case it rains. I am just used to deploying the awning as part of my camp set up, and leaving it extended for the duration of my stay. Only when strong winds are threatening, did I ever bring the awning in while still set up.

Like I said previously, I guess I may have to go with a separate stand alone shelter. I hate being forced inside just because of rain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #42

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The manufacturer of the Carefree Fiesta awning says to not leave it deployed and unattended. They also recommend stowing it when it's windy.

We've been frequent violators of those rules, guilty as charged. There have been quite a few times when the wind started blowing and I've watched Casita owners running back to their trailer to stow their Fiamma awning while I sat under ours doing nothing. Its very sturdy and can stand up to a breeze easily. In fact, if deployed properly, its so rigid that a wind gust will make it shake the trailer. Of course, if its really gusty or stormy we stow it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have had our awning retract a couple times in light wind. It has also retracted while I was wiping leaves off of it. I have adjusted the slope on mine to allow for better water run off but dont want to test the dump feature and will not deploy more than a couple feet in the rain until I know more about this feature. I changed the batteries in the sensor just so I know it has a fresh set in it.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #44

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
awning

Where is this sensitivity switch ? Is it the little plastic thing that holds the batteries ? so maybe set it at 3-4 ? Jim
Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
?.. Are they deploying them at orientation but no way to tell if wind or water feature works? That could be a first check on the shake-down stays or right outside of the factory. No telling, I guess, how yours worked, or did not, in the first place.
Dennis did our orientation and shook the open awning to show the auto retract feature. He was also careful to show us how to change the sensors setting and battery.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Where is this sensitivity switch ? Is it the little plastic thing that holds the batteries ? so maybe set it at 3-4 ? Jim
Yes, if I remember correct the lower the number the more sensitive it is but its in the manual.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #47

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
For those with manual awning experiences.... Did you leave your awning out over night, and/or away for a few hours during the day? ...or is it always supposed to be closed when not in attendance, electronic OR supported with the manual set-up?
At night it depends on the weather and where I'm located.

If it's heavily treed I leave it out.
When we are out west where it's dry I take it in.
When on the east coast where dew covers everything at night I try and leave it out, or at least leave it out enough to cover the chairs, weather permitting.
Pretty much if I think there's any chance of an issue, I take it in.
I'd bet it takes me less then a minute to take it in.

I do drop one corner, and sometime the whole front at night if leaving it out.

The awning makes a good deal of noise when the wind starts to kick up, so far I've always heard it. Same with thunder. If I hear either I take it in.

I always take it in if we are leaving the campground.

I did pick up a sun screen for next winter in AZ, thinking on getting a set of awning tie downs as it may be a hassle to take it in every night. The big class A's is see leave them out all the time, tied down.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #48

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Yes, retract your awning to the point where you can reach the little white plastic box under the awning. Now shut the power off to the awning, you do not want it to possibly move while you are doing things to it. Grab the box and pull it to the left. It has arrows on it showing that. There is a little open spot in the back, slip a knife in and press and the back opens up. The little dial has 1 to 9 on it on the circuit board. Ours was set between 3 and 4. While there consider replacing the AAA batteries. Going back is simply reversing steps with turning power back to the awning the last thing you do.

Edit, also make sure to look at the polarity markings on the board. The board has 2 springs at the base making it look like both batteries would go the same way.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #49

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
At night it depends on the weather and where I'm located.

If it's heavily treed I leave it out.
When we are out west where it's dry I take it in.
When on the east coast where dew covers everything at night I try and leave it out, or at least leave it out enough to cover the chairs, weather permitting.
Pretty much if I think there's any chance of an issue, I take it in.
I'd bet it takes me less then a minute to take it in.

I do drop one corner, and sometime the whole front at night if leaving it out.

The awning makes a good deal of noise when the wind starts to kick up, so far I've always heard it. Same with thunder. If I hear either I take it in.

I always take it in if we are leaving the campground.

I did pick up a sun screen for next winter in AZ, thinking on getting a set of awning tie downs as it may be a hassle to take it in every night. The big class A's is see leave them out all the time, tied down.
Thank you for the additional considerations. Like to be flexible without being stupid
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Thank you for the additional considerations. Like to be flexible without being stupid
I hope you realize that the two last people to whom you made comments are referring to the old awning, not the one you will be getting. Any of us with Escapes prior to the new generation do not have your awning,
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I hope you realize that the two last people to whom you made comments are referring to the old awning, not the one you will be getting. Any of us with Escapes prior to the new generation do not have your awning,
Yep: precisely what I asked about.
Thanks for checking though.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #52

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
male poster: thingy

female poster: thingie

This according to a post on another thread.

"thing" is incorrect

Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Guilty, I may be the male poster, cause I do use "thingy" for things with no obvious name.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 AM   #54

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Just an update. Tammy told me to contact Dometic, which I did. The representative told me that it was very unlikely the damage would be covered under warranty, as it doesn't cover acts of God and shouldn't. E used in the train. (So why promote a self-dumping feature?!?). She advised me to email photos, which I hope to do tomorrow. Not feeling real happy.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Just an update. Tammy told me to contact Dometic, which I did. The representative told me that it was very unlikely the damage would be covered under warranty, as it doesn't cover acts of God and shouldn't. E used in the train. (So why promote a self-dumping feature?!?). She advised me to email photos, which I hope to do tomorrow. Not feeling real happy.
The awning did not work as advertised, it seems to me.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yes, saying it shouldn't be used in the rain while also stating it has a self dumping feature is pretty silly.

Besides, sitting under our awning when it's raining is one of our favorite ways to use it, provided there's no high winds along with the rain.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
As someone with a 19 ordered, this thread is disheartening. I'm going to be worried about using this awning. Really hope someone takes care of you.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:57 AM   #58

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I'm going to be worried about using this awning.
If I am not mistaken, ETI still has the option of a manual operating awning.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:05 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
If I am not mistaken, ETI still has the option of a manual operating awning.
I'm sure you are correct, but certainly not listed on the build sheet as an option. Guess it would be a special request.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:41 AM   #60

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Bakes99 - don't panic. It's a great, slick little awning and I was really loving it. Just treat it with the same caution as you would any other awning and "ignore" the self-dumping and self-retracting claims. Sure a lot easier to "set up" for one person than a manual awning!
Closed Thread