Add black tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2024, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Add black tank

Our 21NE has only a 13 gallon black tank. Im thinking about adding another tank and have made a rough sketch of a proposed concept. Id appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4623.jpg  
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't see a pipe into the second tank. I do see the discharge from it however.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Suggest it's time to advance from the provided 'concept sketch' to a dimensioned scale drawing of the same view based on actual frame / chassis and pipe / fittings measurements.

Methinks that simple reality-check will reveal a lot regarding feasibility and provide a basis for meaningful review / comment.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
Guess you missed all the "fun" in 2020 and before when ETI had the E19 & 21NE black tank published specs at 19/22 gallons, though it wasn't..................

Good luck sir - following for options..........besides a 21C, 5.0TA or a 23.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
If you were doing that with grey water it'd probably work because water flows easily. It would fill the lower tank and then the top tank.

However considering the consistency of the contents I think that you could end up with an immovable mass in the wrong spot that created a blockage.

Definitely a second thought is required for this project.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:37 PM   #6

Yikes! That would be a big problem. As regards Donna Ds comment, I would replace the elbow from black tank to outlet with a T connector.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we run out of fresh water and grey holding long before we run out of black tank capacity. We can stretch the water+grey a full week of dry camping, the black can go 2+ weeks.

I guess there's always one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gallon-.../dp/B083N2WSXY

but full, that would weigh close to 300 lbs, so other than rolling it on flat pavement, it would be brutal to have to transport to a different site to be dumped.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 04:58 PM   #8

The NE has only 13 gallon black tank. What model do you have?
Old 06-13-2024, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
The NE has only 13 gallon black tank. What model do you have?
ah, righto, I have a 21 classic. I don't remember how big the black tank is
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Talking

Quote:

I would replace the elbow from black tank to outlet with a T connector.
I don't want to be too graphic but you know how a pyramid sometimes forms? The tank contents are a suspension of solids and liquid. Forcing them into a situation where it's easy for the liquid parts to rise and the solids to settle out, probably around something like a Tee would result in a blockage.

There may be a way of getting good flow etc. through a second tank but what's proposed so far doesn't seem the way to go.

Personally I think the best way to go is a portable tank if extra storage is required.

Ro
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't want to be too graphic but you know how a pyramid sometimes forms? The tank contents are a suspension of solids and liquid. Forcing them into a situation where it's easy for the liquid parts to rise and the solids to settle out, probably around something like a Tee would result in a blockage.

There may be a way of getting good flow etc. through a second tank but what's proposed so far doesn't seem the way to go.

Personally I think the best way to go is a portable tank if extra storage is required.

Ro
Plus, The black tank uses gravity to drain through the exit valve. The low profile of all Escapes places the existing black tank lower than most other RVs on the road. Adding a second tank below would make it nearly level with the valve, and all gravity would be lost. I dont see solids draining at all!

Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Sounds like a great application for a compost toilet
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:55 PM   #13

We have a 15 gallon shuttle. Unfortunately the outlet on the trailer is too low for the shuttle. I put on smaller wheels and it looks like it’s going to work. We have folding 10’ ramps that I use to put our 100 lb generator into the truck. Hopefully I’ll be able to push the 120 lb shuttle up the ramp too.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
We have a 15 gallon shuttle. Unfortunately the outlet on the trailer is too low for the shuttle. I put on smaller wheels and it looks like its going to work. We have folding 10 ramps that I use to put our 100 lb generator into the truck. Hopefully Ill be able to push the 120 lb shuttle up the ramp too.

FWIW, the outlet on my 21C is also too low to "gravity" drain from my onboard tanks into my 36 gallon Rhino tote tank. But my macerator pump works great as a "transfer" pump! I hook the empty tote tank to the hitch, and then use the macerator pump to transfer gray water from the Escape tanks to the tote tank.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
we run out of fresh water and grey holding long before we run out of black tank capacity. We can stretch the water+grey a full week of dry camping, the black can go 2+ weeks.

I guess there's always one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gallon-.../dp/B083N2WSXY

but full, that would weigh close to 300 lbs, so other than rolling it on flat pavement, it would be brutal to have to transport to a different site to be dumped.

That's the one that I have. I use it almost daily when we're beach camping at the state parks. (lots of showers, water hookups, but no sewer hookup).

FWIW, the 300lb isn't as bad as it sounds. If you're lifting it full, you're typically just lifting one end onto the hitch while the other end stays on the ground. So maybe ~150lb actual lift. The version you linked has the optional "dolly wheels", so I guess no need to lift it at all. I'd worry how well those small front wheels would hold up to being towed though.

That said, I wouldn't want to try to drag this thing to the dump station any other way than having it attached to the hitch.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I added a 13 gallon auxiliary tank to my 2006 17b and it has worked well for us. The tank can store black and/or grey water. Usually we just use the extra 1.5 gallons or so of storage space due to the larger manifold of pipes that hook everything together. Here is a link to a description of my installation.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ank-30273.html

A few years ago I encased the tank in a built-up metal cover that is bolted and epoxied to the cross frames for added strength and protection from road debris. This summer I am changing from 14 inch to 15 inch rims for a little more clearance. The auxiliary tank has worked well for almost 17 years.

You would need a vent line for your new tank and I think the water would flow better into and out of the tank if the tank hung low enough such that the plumbing did not require water to flow up and into the tank.

My auxiliary tank is totally isolated from the rest of the system by a normal dump valve and the tank is not used most of time. When I use it, I open the gray or black tank dump valve and the auxiliary tank valve to fill the auxiliary tank as needed, then I close all valves to isolate all tanks for further camping time and transport. An added dump valve downstream of all other dump valves is needed for my system.
Thane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:45 PM   #17

Wow! I’m impressed. I don’t have the patience or courage to undertake such a detailed project. Kudos to you! Beautiful work. For now I’ll stick with the tote tank. It would be great if I could carry a full tote under the trailer instead of in my truck bed but there’s just not enough clearance.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 E19
Hmmmm.............

Maybe a tank underneath the floor / directly under the existing black tank between the frame rails that is "top fed" (yuk!) directly by the existing black drain - straight shot down to the aux tank - then sideways from the bottom side of the aux tank to the drain valves..........an aux tank there should "recieve" the solids directly due to the bottom drain design of the existing black - appears there is room on the E19, which is very similar to the 21E. Having the "high lift" may be a plus for this idea.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote