Adding a second battery - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Adding a second battery

Has anyone added a second 12v battery to their 21' Escape? I'm thinking of getting another group 29 battery and vent the case into the original one under the dinette. Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks...Do I have to get a group 29 or go with a group 27 ? I already have solar.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
To keep it simpler, why not use a battery box designed for two batteries? That is what is in my trailer. I think it would keep maintenance simpler, and I doubt they are very expensive.

I can't see problem at all with using a Group 27 and 29 in parallel. I would be inclined to go for the Group 29 though, for the bit better power reserve.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Jim,
Are your batteries vented to the outside, my one is and finding a double battery box with one vent is almost impossible, that is why I was going to piggyback the new into the existing one.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim,
I'm wondering it different capacity batteries in parallel might present a problem for your solar charge controller as one would get to full charge before the other?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim,
Are your batteries vented to the outside, my one is and finding a double battery box with one vent is almost impossible, that is why I was going to piggyback the new into the existing one.
Yes it is. No idea where Reace sources them though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim,
I'm wondering it different capacity batteries in parallel might present a problem for your solar charge controller as one would get to full charge before the other?
I am no battery expert by any means, but I don't see this as an issue, as the two batteries would just take whatever charge is available, should they need it. The voltage of both batteries would equalize.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am no battery expert by any means, but I don't see this as an issue, as the two batteries would just take whatever charge is available, should they need it. The voltage of both batteries would equalize.
I too am far from a battery expert! I was just wondering if the controller would stay on the higher voltage bulk charge cycle until the large battery was full and potentially overcharge/overheat the lower capacity one?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Jim Bennett... I'm no battery ex spurt either. As a matter of fact I told my Dr. "It's up to my wife to charge my batteries". I don't have as much of a "Solar Dome" as you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030680.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

I can suck up good solar energy with me big bald heed.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... I'm no battery ex spurt either. As a matter of fact I told my Dr. "It's up to my wife to charge my batteries". I don't have as much of a "Solar Dome" as you!!!

Wow - that's how you charge camera batteries?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I too am far from a battery expert! I was just wondering if the controller would stay on the higher voltage bulk charge cycle until the large battery was full and potentially overcharge/overheat the lower capacity one?
Actually, the "bulk charge cycle" is a lower voltage charge, done while one or both batteries are still depleted and are pulling in all the current that the charge controller can provide. Later in the process is the "absorption cycle" where the voltage has risen because the controller has the capacity to provide more power than the batteries can accept (so it throttles back). (Summarized from the Aug/Sept 2014 issue of Home Power Magazine, p55)

The biggest problem with parallel batteries - and this may not be a significant issue if both batteries are fairly new and are being charged on a regular basis - is that the self-discharge will pull each battery down as they try to recharge each other. This means it would be a bad idea to store parallel batteries over the winter without a trickle charger keeping up with the self-discharge.

Some of you probably know I am planning on doing the parallel battery thing, but using SLA batteries to avoid venting and self-discharge problems.

(An interesting aside: One summer we rented a sailboat with four 6v batteries in series/parallel. The problem was that someone hooked them up as one 18v and one 6v. I heard sizzling and smelled battery fumes and immediately called the manager. Could not believe that the boat didn't catch fire or fry the electronics. Point is - don't hook up a well charged (new) battery in parallel with a depleted older battery. One will try to charge the other, without any external charger running.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Yes, I realize one should match the batteries, both in age and capacity, my single is one year old so adding another group 29 should be okay. Just doing the preliminary planning, need to find the box as well as the battery and then cables and properly installing it.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Has anyone added a second 12v battery to their 21' Escape? I'm thinking of getting another group 29 battery and vent the case into the original one under the dinette. Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks...Do I have to get a group 29 or go with a group 27 ? I already have solar.
I'm a great fan of a second battery but not of the dual 6V arrangement. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. So the first thing I did when I got my trailer home was add a second group 29 battery and a multi-position battery switch. Over the years on boats I've charged batteries both together and individually.

I use my batteries individually. If there's a big boo-boo and one gets run down too much the second gets used, maybe more conservatively until recharging is possible. Some may not like the work of switching batteries but it works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #14

Ron, where did you get the group 29 battery and I assume yours are outside in the box?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a great fan of a second battery but not of the dual 6V arrangement. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. So the first thing I did when I got my trailer home was add a second group 29 battery and a multi-position battery switch. Over the years on boats I've charged batteries both together and individually.

I use my batteries individually. If there's a big boo-boo and one gets run down too much the second gets used, maybe more conservatively until recharging is possible. Some may not like the work of switching batteries but it works for me.

Ron
Ron, you sound like you have spent some time on a boat and are a fan of the A/B/Both switch.

(Boats are where the "big boo-boo" can leave you in "deep doo-doo".)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Jim, yes on the 19 the original was in the box and the #2 went beside it. New cables were run from each to the battery switch inside. If the batteries are used one at a time it doesn't make any difference whether they're perfectly matched or not. Except if they're a total mis-match according to type that might be difficult for setting a solar charger.

I like the peace of mind knowing one battery is isolated from the other and that I always have one fully charged battery in reserve.

I know lots of folk like the high end batteries. I've always been satisfied with lower end RV batteries sold by Walmart and Canadian Tire.

And, yes Al, as a former cruiser I know all about boating boo-boos. If we were ever at a rally I'd tell you a story about how sailing from Panama to Hawaii turned into an 84 day ordeal

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
03-08-2014 4-18-55 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Another possibility is if you have room in the tow vehicle (TV) engine compartment or truck bed for another battery. It would have to be isolated from the TV main battery by use of a switched relay. 12V power to the trailer would come directly from that second battery, then you can connect the umbilical at any time to use it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've always been told that 2 batteries of unequal amperage in parallel will charge to the level of the lower of the 2. But it's only hearsay.

Obviously charging separately nullifies the above.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #19

With solar I'm inclined to have then both attached and charged simultaneously. I felt this was less complicated than installing another solar panel.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #20

i think ron from north van has the right advice.also having been a boater it was two batteries isolated by the shown switch was the way to go..this is a much simpler system and each battery is independent from the other. i.e two power source systems. one can be replaced without affecting the other. the old k.i.s.s. method. talking about batteries apparently the new 19 has it located in the front storage box. this defeats the box capacity. tongue weight seems to be the problem. solution----keep the battery in the settee and reinforce the tongue by welding to the frame just back of the hitch two pieces of steel 1/2" x 4" x36inches. this adds 30 lbs per piece and 60lbs for two. a very easy cheap fix. the frame is just over 4 inches deep and the add on is not noticeable
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote