Adding More Solar than 160 Watts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks Jon, I will ask if I can have ETI add this wiring to my build list since I want the flexibility to add more solar for winter camping in the southwest. I hear a lot of folks boondock around Quartzite in the winter for weeks at a time.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I stayed at Quartzite for 1 week & Imperial Dam for 2 weeks during February, and found that the single 95 watt panel combined with the low angle sun wasn't enough to keep up with my typical usage of 25 - 30 amp hours per day. That is why I added the Solar Blvd 160 watt panel...

Make sure that Escape understands how you want to add a portable panel. The wiring is different for panels that have a controller (what they usually expect) and one without on that is wired to the input of the Escape controller.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #23

Jon, do you think adding an additional panel on the roof is better or having the portable panels where you can focus them towards the sun is better? What about line drop with the 20-30 feet of wire from the panel to the controller, it that a big factor?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
To be honest, I couldn't decide, which is why I carry both. The 195 watts I get from the two roof top panels is plenty for clear summer days, but in the shade they don't keep up. I haven't tried them with low angle sun since I just installed the second panel in June. Even under ideal conditions, you won't get anywhere near the specified wattage from the panel to the batteries. For example, with a clear sky & careful aiming directly at the sun, I tested my portable panel by feeding the batteries while drawing 60 amps (using an inverter to make a pot of coffee). The portable panel's controller produced 8.5 amps, which at 12V is 102 watts. While it might produce a bit more just feeding the batteries, I've never seen a system that can produce at 100% efficiency...

If you are feeding the input to the controller from the panel, the voltage drop is not as critical since the PWM controller Escape uses combined with the voltage output of a typical 12V panel has room for a volt or two of drop. I used #10 garden light wire for my 25' run from the 160 watt panel. If you are using the panel's controller, it is best to use as large & short wiring as possible since the controller drops the voltage so you have less room to play with.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Got my interest Ron . Where would you put slide in , slide out on 19 ? Pat
My reply was in response to the comment that if the panels were mounted on the roof of the tug you wouldn't be able to have them charging while you were out sightseeing.

However, there's probably no reason that couldn't be done for the trailer. As I've posted before, mine rides just above the tongue box and I put it up high and tilt it when that's needed. No reason a panel couldn't be mounted of a frame above the tongue box. Most of time it would just sit there and charge. If it was in a campsite with heavy shade it could be released from the frame and used as a portable panel.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On my 19 I had ETI place the GoPower charge controller down by the converter (driver side front dinette) and also install a pass through port on the left side so I can add the wiring at a later date. It's easy to connect to the GoPower controller, just have to make certain the amperage is appropriate. ETI installed the same pass-through that is used for the power cord, if you elect the permanently connected one. I would do that differently and use some sort of plug.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm not sure what controller Escape is currently using....
When they switched from the 160W panel to a 150W panel, they also switched to a Samlex controller. The Samlex is superior to the GoPower in every way, and I'd suspect that the theoretical 10 watts of panel output loss is more than made up for by a more advanced and efficient Samlex controller. Would have loved to have the Samlex system instead of the GoPower, but of course we got what was available at the time. It's like many other things at Escape - they keep improving it - darn them.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's like many other things at Escape - they keep improving it - darn them.
That won't be an issue when you follow Jim N's example and move up to the 21.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Methinks (if it ever did happen) I would be following another Jim's example and go with the 5er.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We wanted to add another panel to our 21 which will be ready in May 2016 and they said no room with A/C
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #31

The samlex controller is a 30 amp one and has the ability to add another panel to it. I might go the route as Jim did with the portable panels. What sort of access have people asked for to allow the wiring to the controller?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
We are getting our 19 next March and the options sheet is due in jan. We are getting the solar anel and intend to add a portable panel as well. I have a few questions.
1. Is it better to feed the portable thru the main controller or direct to the battery.
2.if thru the battery won't there be a fight between voltages from the main and portable controllers?
3.I have read that it's important to reduce the resistance between the controller and the battery which means larger wire size as the run length gets bigger. Lots of portables with controllers have 30 ft cords with small wires. Isn't this a bad thing. Anybody using portables direct to battery out there, what's your experience?

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I personally think it would be better to feed a portable panel through the controller, but there are folks who just connect direct to the batteries and have no problem. By feeding through the controller you'd know exactly what's going into the batteries.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
When we order our new 21 I am going to see if Reace will install this receptical: MinnKota 12V to feed my external panel into the controller. I've looked at lots of them and this is the only one I have found that will take up to 8 gauge wire, can carry plenty of current and appear water resistant. I sent the link to him to see if he thinks it will work ok.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Through the controller is best.
They suggest you get a 2nd panel the same or as close as possible in voltage levels.
And yes, the cheesy wire that comes with the portables is not optimal, heavier is better but of course not as convenient.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just run the two 40 watt panels through a controller to the battery terminals.
I can't monitor the charge, but that pretty much doesn't matter, because I know of no way to make the sun shine any longer or brighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda w.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #37

My thoughts are that going thru the controller is best. I just finished talking to the Samlex tech support guy and found out that their portable suitcase units come with a 10A controller set at 14.4V. This is a normal trickle charge for lead acid batteries. The rooftop panel comes with the SCC-30 controller where the voltage level can be set higher (better for charging). If you do this and then connect the 14.4V portable to the battery it will see the higher voltage from the main controller and not charge the battery. So connecting a portable to the main charge controller is the way to go. Just need ETI to provide the wire run from main controller to a connector on the outside of the trailer.
This was an interesting conversation with the tech guy saying the panels would not be fighting each other (sure sounds to me like they would be).
Old 12-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #38

Now I just need to find a portable suitcase panel without a controller.

John
Old 12-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #39

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
The suitcase solar panels I've seen have a controller fastened to the back of one of the panels. It shouldn't be too hard to bypass this controller and link up with the 'in house' controller.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Two panels directly connected together (such as to the same controller's input) will not "fight" each other - one won't confuse the other one - because they have no intelligence or logic. They will affect each other, just as anything connected to a panel affects it. If they do not have identical characteristics or if they are not in identical conditions then neither will operate ideally... but they will both operate. An example of different conditions might be one set flat on the roof and another set propped up at some angle.

For any controller type other than a maximum power point tracking (MPPT) design, having two separate controllers won't help - non-MPPT controllers respond to nothing other than the battery voltage and charging current, so all panels might as well share one controller (thus, no controllers confusing each other). If you do use MPPT controllers, separate controllers for panels in different conditions would help optimize each panel's output.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote