Adjusting water pump shut off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 - 19
Adjusting water pump shut off

Greetings. My 2020-19 water pump never shuts off. I read in another thread there's an alan screw to adjust this. From the top, I see two possibilities.

From the attached picture, can someone please tell me if one of these is it? And if so, which one and which way to turn it? Should this be done while the pump is running? If not, are there any tips on testing the result?

Thanks, Cheers!
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
20210331_112122[1].jpg  
DS58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Doug

when you say never shuts off its been that way since new or is this something that happened after de winterizing.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The one closest to the on pump electrical connections. Adjust it while the pump is running. Counterclockwise to stop the pump. After it stops, give it a bit more of a turn. Open & close a faucet to check that it worked.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 - 19
Smile

Thank you both, the adjustment solution worked!
And what a great intro to the forum.
Doug
DS58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS58 View Post
Thank you both, the adjustment solution worked!
And what a great intro to the forum.
Doug

welcome to the forum. Its nice when things work out.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
I might have a similar problem, but turning the pressure set screw up to 5 x 1/4 turn in either direction doesn’t seem to solve the problem. Let me describe:

Last fall, I decided to try the blow out winterizing of the water system instead of using the pink RV anti-freeze as in the past in our 2018, 19’ Escape. Well… I almost got it right. I missed running the water pump for 30 seconds to clear out the line from the fresh water tank to the water pump. So that froze. My bad!

So… upon discovering the issue, the water pump appeared to be sucking air, along with water. Also, when the water pump shuts off air developed in the tubing on the fresh water side of the pump. Ah ha, I thought, a crack in some plastic part.

So… I changed out the water pump, strainer, and the 90 deg elbow, and the (pink RV anti-freeze) T-valve. Basically everything between the water pump’s output side and the tubing into the tank.

Now, the new water pump runs continuously, and the water output at the sink is very weak. It’s more than a dribble, and nowhere as strong as in the past.

I’ve watch some YouTube videos, and tried turning the water pressure set screw up to 5 times of 1/4 turns in either direction. Such doesn’t affect the operation at all. The pump continues to run, with very weak water pressure.

I have run the toilet, bath sink, and kitchen sink so that water comes out with no air, so I assume the lines are purged. But water for all comes out in that strong dribble.

I’ve also looked for a serious leak everywhere I can see (basically under the kitchen counter and bed) without seeing any large leaks. Also, I don’t see any water escaping under the trailer, so I doubt if I have another cracked connector somewhere.

I guess I could put the former water pump back in and see if that corrects the issue. But wonder if my problem is something simpler before I go to all the effort.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
I’ve watch some YouTube videos, and tried turning the water pressure set screw up to 5 times of 1/4 turns in either direction. Such doesn’t affect the operation at all. The pump continues to run, with very weak water pressure.
See this post for both pressure and bypass adjustment. You might have your bypass set higher than the shutoff pressure which will make it run continuously.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post281696
Old 04-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #8

Thank you for the link. I don't have a recirculating system, so I doubt the factory would have set the pump to that. Also, I don't have a meter to calibrate it. So, I doubt this is the problem.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Thank you for the link. I don't have a recirculating system, so I doubt the factory would have set the pump to that. Also, I don't have a meter to calibrate it. So, I doubt this is the problem.
Is your replacement pump the Shurflo 4008? If so it has an internal bypass. I replaced a pump recently and it ran continuously until properly adjusted. You don’t need gauges. You can just back the screws out and then reinsert them the number of turns indicated on the graphic in the original link I sent. From that baseline it might be just a minor adjustment of the pump pressure (1/4 turn increments) and you should be set.
Attached Thumbnails
31C213D9-A446-4FE4-ACD5-17CA9DBC8313.jpg  
Old 04-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Check the screen on the kitchen sink faucet. That could be the problem with low flow there.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

Epilogue: Beginner’s Mistake

First of all, thank you Rubicon327. The information on how to adjust the two set screws was right on the mark. I reset them and the pump worked fine as soon as I… continue reading…

Here is the beginner’s mistake: Last fall, when I emptied the hot water tank, I opened the top pressure relief valve to quickly let the water out of the tank thru the anode plug. I neglected to close it! So…

When I watered up yesterday for the first time since winter hibernation and tested the new pump, it was just pumping water into the hot water tank and out the pressure relief valve. Then yesterday, when I began to debug the problem, my driveway was so wet with water running all over the place due to the snow melting off the Escape’s roof (and everywhere else) that I didn’t see the result of the water coming out of the hot water tank. Today, with a dry driveway, it was obvious.

Also, since the first problem was air getting in the system between the fresh water tank & the pump, there’s no question there was a leak somewhere, which I solved by replacing everything between the pump’s outlet and the tubing coming from the tank. Problem solved.

Thank you, again for the advise.

Now, off to my first Escaping adventure of the season!