After build Inverter install questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
This is very helpful . so if I end up deciding on no inverter and still want the Victron 712 monitor. I would remove the frame ground from battery, then run new 6 AWG to shunt ,and then from the shunt load terminal to the converter ground lug. is this correct?
Yes. Just make sure that all the negative returns are on the load side of the shunt. It doesn't matter that the shunt is feet away from the negative battery terminal - just that there is no other connection between them.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
If you want to run that many split spend some time over on the DIY solar forum . I know you like to tinker and there is guys over there building 280 AH battery for about 600 each with Chinese cells and bms. a pair of those DIY Batteries would give you 560 ah and still weigh less than 2 6 volts . Will prowse the guy that runs that forum has lots of videos on you tube. I spent alot of time over there learning about how to do it.For guys like you and TDF-TEXAS you will understand it much better. Of course there some risk building your own its not like a battle born with a 10 year warranty If i end up going lithium it will be with DIY pack. at this point I not sure if lithium is the right choice for me. when i ordered my trailer i was sure I want lithium. I ordered the 6 volts with the trailer because we had planed a long pickup trip.I new i would need the extra power for Trip. I planed to change them out latter(and still might) . I realized in my trip we had plenty of power and the go power controller never fell below 65% and that was after several cloudy days and temps below freezing at night. My big battery draw is at night when it is below freezing and furnace runs more. It does not help with the batteries outside in the cold temps.DIY Solar Power Forum

Thanks! I’ll check it out.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
? on wire . besides be stiffer with less strands is there any disadvantages to using THHN stranded wire? Looks like its about 1/3 of the cost. most all my internal wiring circuits are THHN or a Combination of THHN and the red and black low voltage cable..
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
? on wire . besides be stiffer with less strands is there any disadvantages to using THHN stranded wire? Looks like its about 1/3 of the cost. most all my internal wiring circuits are THHN or a Combination of THHN and the red and black low voltage cable..
If you are talking about the battery cables, THHN is too stiff to allow the battery cables to be connected / disconnected. Welding cable is usually used for battery cables due to it's flexibility and size.

For the other wiring, vibration can create havoc with THHN for the same reason - the terminals tend to get stressed from the stiff wire. Automotive wire is usually used as it is more flexible, cost is less than marine wire, and is rated for 12v circuits. Automotive wire is what Escape uses for the 12v circuits.

Of course, marine wire is the best to use. The tinned wire along with the better flexibility makes for a long life wiring job that can stand up to vibration. But it costs more.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #25

Quote:
I don’t know how many have taken 6AWG wire to the terminals on the 12VDC board in the power center but I can tell you it would be next to impossible to make that radius with stiff wire. I used welding cable from Powerwerx when I upgraded the main 12V circuit from converter to batteries and it worked well.
https://powerwerx.com/welding-cable-epdm
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I used 6AWG to the board as well. The right wire is a pleasure to work with.

I got mine from Princess Auto here in Canada and it comes on sale every few months. In fact it is coming on sale Jan 19 to 31 along with other stuff that may be of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
FB1CFCEB-C5D8-4A7B-BFFE-8B8761059DC9.jpg   0A51ED54-B598-4D20-991F-05B46ADCCE53.jpg   4A229C25-7144-4DE9-8544-A620C04EC894.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If you are talking about the battery cables, THHN is too stiff to allow the battery cables to be connected / disconnected. Welding cable is usually used for battery cables due to it's flexibility and size.

For the other wiring, vibration can create havoc with THHN for the same reason - the terminals tend to get stressed from the stiff wire. Automotive wire is usually used as it is more flexible, cost is less than marine wire, and is rated for 12v circuits. Automotive wire is what Escape uses for the 12v circuits.

Of course, marine wire is the best to use. The tinned wire along with the better flexibility makes for a long life wiring job that can stand up to vibration. But it costs more.

hmm ...ETI used 14AWG THHN on all my DC circuits except the fridge. The fridge wire is a boat wire 10 AWG . I bought 14 AWG THHN for My captain light ,Because thats what is on all my overhead light fixtures. I fished wires from the cabinets light to the captain lights . I did soldier the connection and sealed with heat shrink tubing .hopefully that will be sufficient. On ETI install the bath fan the THNN is spliced in the wall and then automotive wire is run up to fixture.(Pic attached) This seem to be the case with the stove fan also. Looks like i better use welding cable on batteries cables.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210117_191942.jpg   IMG_20210117_192033.jpg   IMG_20210117_191911.jpg  
Old 01-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #28

Quote:
hmm ...ETI used 14AWG THHN on all my DC circuits except the fridge. The fridge wire is a boat wire 10 AWG . I bought 14 AWG THHN for My captain light ,Because thats what is on all my overhead light fixtures. I fished wires from the cabinets light to the captain lights . I did soldier the connection and sealed with heat shrink tubing .hopefully that will be sufficient. On ETI install the bath fan the THNN is spliced in the wall and then automotive wire is run up to fixture.(Pic attached) This seem to be the case with the stove fan also. Looks like i better use welding cable on batteries cables.
That's definitely THHN!

Escape really needs to hire someone who know anything about electrical wiring and have them totally revamp the way they wire their trailers.

And just when I thought their wiring practices couldn't get any worse.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #29

Another thing I found that I don't understand . Above the wheel well below the fridge There is coil of the red and black automotive wire duct taped labeled "extra switch". My first thought it cant be a extra switch because a 3 way switch would need 3 wires. Hmm.. I tested it and it has no power. At lunch got thinking where could this go.If its connected at the other end it should have continuity ground. after lunch i check the blacks and its not ground either. I keep thinking i missing something with this wire.

I just got thinking could this wire Have something to do with a 2 way hot water heater? I have the gas only heater.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #30

I trying to Identify the manufacture of The Boat cable ETI uses for battery wires . when i search boat cable its all tinned and this is not.

wire is labeled
CSA TEW or AWN I A/B LL39965 600V 105 c FT! (UL) Boat cable BC-5W2 oil res or AWN 1028 1231 105c -40c Or MTW E306583 8 AWG 600V VW-1

I under stand most these markings refer the the standards the wire is made to. Is there anyway to tell the manufacture ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210118_130715.jpg   IMG_20210118_130710.jpg   IMG_20210118_130657.jpg  
Old 01-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have seen cable labeled marine without tinned conductors. I don’t know what it is. I try to use boat cable everywhere except in buildings, and some of my audio work.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #32

Quote:
I trying to Identify the manufacture of The Boat cable ETI uses for battery wires . when i search boat cable its all tinned and this is not.
wire is labeled
CSA TEW or AWN I A/B LL39965 600V 105 c FT! (UL) Boat cable BC-5W2 oil res or AWN 1028 1231 105c -40c Or MTW E306583 8 AWG 600V VW-1
I under stand most these markings refer the the standards the wire is made to. Is there anyway to tell the manufacture ?
Not sure if this helps but the original battery wiring (circa 2009) that I recently ripped out to replace with 6AWG welding cable is labeled “Southwire” which I see makes all kinds of different wire.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure if this helps but the original battery wiring (circa 2009) that I recently ripped out to replace with 6AWG welding cable is labeled “Southwire” which I see makes all kinds of different wire.

Thanks .The other wiring in the trailer is labeled southern wire, but this boat wire is not. making think its another manufacture. I checked southern wire website and it appears the only boat wire they make is copper tinned. I just trying to find out as if i elect to not install the inverter .I will still need a length of this stuff to rewire the ground from the frame ground so my shunt will work.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks .The other wiring in the trailer is labeled southern wire, but this boat wire is not. making think its another manufacture. I checked southern wire website and it appears the only boat wire they make is copper tinned. I just trying to find out as if i elect to not install the inverter .I will still need a length of this stuff to rewire the ground from the frame ground so my shunt will work.
The best wire to use is Ancor.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-...8-3&th=1&psc=1
Old 01-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Ancor is also the best I have used.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #36

Thanks for the help guys! I will check into that ancor wire. I did get a little done today , Got the battery monitor panel and wire run up to the front driver side Dinette . Also pulled another DC dedicated circuit for my cpap machine. getting behind bath to the bed area was interested. I ended up pulling a another fish wire in there in case I ever have to get any thing back there in the future.

Those wires under fridge labeled extra switch.Could they have something to do with the electric water heater option? Mine is gas only.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210118_094453.jpg   IMG_20210118_094836.jpg  
Old 01-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Those wires under fridge labeled extra switch.Could they have something to do with the electric water heater option? Mine is gas only.
Not sure but unlikely it’s related to the water heater. That just gets a 120V AC feed for the electric side with the on/off switch outside behind the enclosure door. No internal low voltage wiring. My guess on the wiring coil is possibly for when they installed a “Texas” fan behind the fridge to assist with cooling.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure but unlikely it’s related to the water heater. That just gets a 120V AC feed for the electric side with the on/off switch outside behind the enclosure door. No internal low voltage wiring. My guess on the wiring coil is possibly for when they installed a “Texas” fan behind the fridge to assist with cooling.
The SW6DE does have a 12v connection that powers the gas igniter.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I found a 12v red wire going up the DS front corner behind the trim strip. Haven’t checked if it’s live, but goes halfway up and is just cutoff with no termination.
Might be able to tap it for an accessory later, but no idea why it’s there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The SW6DE does have a 12v connection that powers the gas igniter.
True but I was referring to any add'l wiring as related to the electric operation of the SW6DE model. The OP has the SW6D (gas-only) so I hope his 12V igniter is connected. If everything is working properly the coiled wire under the fridge is certainly nothing to worry about.