AGM vs ETI 6V batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 21 escape
new agm batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi all...

We're picking up our 21 in a couple weeks. As of right now, we're getting the ETI supplied 6 volt batteries. I've been reading lots on this forum about what a PITA it is to check the batteries in a 21. I've also seen "AGM" batteries referred to in several posts.

questions:
- what are the benefits of AGM batteries over the ETI supplied batteries?
- any thoughts on where we could pick up a set near Chilliwack?... or do you think we could have them shipped to ETI? Recommendations on sources?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
We picked up our 21 in 2017, there is an up charge for the interstate 6 vs that ETI installs so we just took the standard 12v it comes with, and installed our own agm 6v s then sold the 12v on craigslist for $75 if you have them leave out battery they probably won't knock off any $$ we wanted to delete the awning, they said they would but would not discount the price ANY, so we just kept the awning
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have Crown AGM batteries and love them. We seem to have no problem getting the GoPro controller to go to 100% most days. In theory AGM charge slightly faster than flooded, if so, that would explain why we get to 100% faster than flooded. It sounds like some flooded's rarely get to 100% unless after a boost.

For the sake of honesty, originally we did have a bad AGM from Crown, but they replaced both batteries, not just one, under warranty. When I took the batteries in for replacement they immediately put the bad battery on a pallet to be shipped to Crown. I was called a couple of weeks later and asked a number of questions. They have been making this series AGM's for a number of years and said this was only the third battery to have failed in the first 90 days. He said they could not find a specific reason for the failure. Even Trojan and Lifeline have occasional failures.

I'd buy Crown AGM's again. We paid $460 for the pair, shipped to our doorstep.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I'd buy Crown AGM's again. We paid $460 for the pair, shipped to our doorstep.
Really? Where did you order those?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Really? Where did you order those?
Crown 6 CRV 220

Performance Systems
Vinton, Iowa
319-472-3011
Talk to Ivan Cox

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Crown 6 CRV 220

Performance Systems
Vinton, Iowa
319-472-3011
Talk to Ivan Cox
$460 for a pair seems like a great price for a decent 6V AGM battery.

http://www.psjanitorial.com/CROWN-BA...att6crv220.htm
Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
If you don't mind sitting or sleeping on a stewing cauldron of sulfuric acid that's constantly off gassing and your priority is to save some money then wet cell batteries are the way to go. Having witness what 6 volt wet cells can do a golf cart frame and a concrete floor I chose to spend more money. First get on line and do a bunch of research. Then make an educated decision based on your priorities and not my recommendations
This post is going to prompt me to spend a lot of money. *sigh*
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yeah, the 5th year of new trailer ownership can be expensive. Kinda like the BIG maintenance costs (based on mileage) for some motor vehicles.

5th year.... tires. I need to buy five!
Propane detector is dying/dead. $40+
Now batteries... maybe

I have the replacement propane detector. I'm going to push the batteries at least another year. They're working well and frankly I can 'live' without electricity. Propane works for the stove and I have a really good cooler. I just need to figure out what type of batteries when the time comes.

BUT, the tires aren't going to wait. Can't move anywhere with a flat tire, so they need to go round-and-round. Besides, they're carrying a pretty expensive asset.

So I guess there are positives to owning a single-axle trailer and only having one cheap deep cycle 12v battery
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you don't mind sitting or sleeping on a stewing cauldron of sulfuric acid that's constantly off gassing and your priority is to save some money then wet cell batteries are the way to go. Having witness what 6 volt wet cells can do a golf cart frame and a concrete floor I chose to spend more money. First get on line and do a bunch of research. Then make an educated decision based on your priorities and not my recommendations
A we bit of an overstatement, eh?

There is nothing wrong with using flooded as far as safety goes if used with proper practices, as they have successfully been used in all RVs over the years. The little they do put off is vented outside. Until getting rid of my 19 all my trailers used them and no issues at all with them being flooded. I needed new batteries for my temporary trailer while waiting for my 5.0TA and the local solar store had them on for a really nice price, paying $440 CAD for the pair.

Some good advantages to go AGM if you wish, but flooded will work. With any battery proper use is important.

Like anything with our trailers, we can always justify an upgrade or change to something else we desire, no problem. I have done it myself many a time.

Heck, go even better and use lithium batteries.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A we bit of an overstatement, eh?

There is nothing wrong with using flooded as far as safety goes if used with proper practices, as they have successfully been used in all RVs over the years. The little they do put off is vented outside. Until getting rid of my 19 all my trailers used them and no issues at all with them being flooded. I needed new batteries for my temporary trailer while waiting for my 5.0TA and the local solar store had them on for a really nice price, paying $440 CAD for the pair.

Some good advantages to go AGM if you wish, but flooded will work. With any battery proper use is important.

Like anything with our trailers, we can always justify an upgrade or change to something else we desire, no problem. I have done it myself many a time.

Heck, go even better and use lithium batteries.
Jim I would use the term "excellent use of hyperbole" Yes, perhaps a bit too much flourish but the point remains the same: the wet cell battery is flintlock level of battery technology. A PITA to maintain and yes! more hazardous for multiple reasons. You can use an axe but why not get a chainsaw.
I do have a Battle Born lithium that I got for my kayak. I hope in the next few month to place the battery in a multi-function role and incorporate it into the trailer electrical system.
"Stewing cauldron of sulfuric acid"
Old 09-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:

I do have a Battle Born lithium that I got for my kayak.
If Battle Born ever cuts their price in half, they would 5 times as many batteries.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If Battle Born ever cuts their price in half, they would 5 times as many batteries.
Probably true, but since they don't make the cells, and may not even make any of the other components, they probably don't have a huge margin to sacrifice for volume.

Auto manufacturers are driving down the cost of lithium ion cells; when a large manufacturer sees a worthwhile market in the RV space, the cost of complete battery units will likely fall significantly (and my guess is that Battle Born and similar companies will either become distributors or vanish).

Even with it's huge size (and thus economy of scale), an electric car pack is still about half the cost per kilowatt-hour of the $1000 100 Ah 12 V RV products.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
--
Alan
Alan I don't think you could even build a lithium battery with Chinese cells ordered from Aliexpress plus a BMS for half the price of a Battle Born. One reason I spent the money for the Battle Born is because my "cheap" Chinese battery is completely dead after 2 1/2 years and all I now have is a lithium packed paper weight. I wish I had spent that money on a Battle Born to begin with. Also this battery is for my kayak where the weight difference is critical. I'm not sure I would pay the difference if it was just for the trailer I'm not a dedicated boon docker and a single AGM meets my needs just fine
Old 09-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I also have the Crown AGM batteries that Perry mentioned above. Thank you Perry. It was an excellent referral. I did not have the issues with the battery that Perry mentioned. In fact quite a positive experience from Crown to supplement what Perry said. I ordered the batteries from Ian Cox in Iowa, they would ship from the Crown Chicago warehouse on one of their trucks making local deliveries. When ordering I mentioned a date about two weeks later when I would be leaving. As I got closer to the date and the batteries did not show up I dropped a note to Ian. The Crown truck made a specific delivery to me the next day.

Nice batteries and my propane detector has stopped the false alarms.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Alan I don't think you could even build a lithium battery with Chinese cells ordered from Aliexpress plus a BMS for half the price of a Battle Born.

Quite true I suspect.
But a fellow can dream about running the A/C all day with a $100 battery that weighs in at 10 pounds.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Is the converter smart enough for AGM

So the power converters they put in stock are not very smart. They are known for boiling batteries and wrecking them.

My question is what converter is ETI installing in the trailer and does it have a setting for AGM batteries.

My 17B had no setting for AGM, so I installed a heavy duty battery disconnect so if I was plugged in for a while I would shut off the connection to the battery so it wouldn’t over charge.

My AGM would sit all winter and not drop any voltage. Far superior to regular batteries I have owned.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
If you want to spend lots of money, try switching to lithium. So far, other than a lighter wallet, so good. For anyone interested in the process, here is a link.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
That's funny, it made me bite my tongue.

Some of these extreme comments don't do any favors to newbies. I've used flooded lead acid batteries for over 40 years in boats and trailers. They do the job and unless it's a special situation like someone that wants to use a microwave for all their food prep or a ham radio operator etc. flooded lead acid will do just fine for the average person.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I agree with you Ron. Really the only reason I switched to AGM in our single axle 5.0 was because the battery box lid was secured with eight bolts and buts, four of which were on the back and very hard to reach and to remove the lid I had to remove a bench support. In our tandem 5.0 the battery box lid is easily removed to check battery level.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Note the battleborn batteries are LiFePo4, which is a whole diffferent than than Li-Ion or Li-Poly. LiFePo4 cells are brick sized, and come in capacities up to 200AH or larger, you just need 4 of these to make a battleborn style 12V battery, along with power management circuitry.

LiIon cells are typically much smaller, like 2-3 amp-hour, so you need 100s of them for this sort of capacity.

LiFePo4 don't have quite the raw power-to-weight ratio of LiIon but they withstand 1000s and 1000s of 80% discharge cycles, they can be charged really fast, and they don' thave the sort of fire hazards that LiIon stuff does.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I agree with you Ron. Really the only reason I switched to AGM in our single axle 5.0 was because the battery box lid was secured with eight bolts and buts, four of which were on the back and very hard to reach and to remove the lid I had to remove a bench support. In our tandem 5.0 the battery box lid is easily removed to check battery level.
Adrian If I didn't already have an AGM battery, yes the Interstate 'stewing caldron" would be sitting in my trailer. Just because I'm cheap. Once it had reached the end of it's useful life it would not be replaced by something that off gasses hydrogen and sulfur dioxide (ever heard of acid rain) as a normal byproduct of charging. My question is why would anyone want a wet cell over an agm? The wet cell has lot's of disadvantages and just because it's been around since decades before the American Civil War is not a very good reason.