AGM vs ETI 6V batteries - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #61

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Letterkenny is a fictional small town in very rural Ontario, a town populated by hicks, skids, hockey players, and Christians.
I had a flashback to my youth growing up in South Dakota except the fall/winter sport was football/basketball and the beer was GrainBelt. Most, if not all, of the small towns in the area, could not afford to equip both a hockey team and football team and football won out. Mostly a good thing because the guys I played with did not need sharp instruments or bludgeons on the field.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:25 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
oof, this is a good'un...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #63

Trailer: TBD
Canadian rap?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #64

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Thumbs up ETI okayed these AGM batt for my new 5.0:

I chose these 6v AGM batteries and ETI certified them for installation in by 5.0 TA under construction:
Renogy Deep Cycle Pure Gel Battery 6 Volt 260AHj
from
https://www.renogy.com/products/deep-cycle-batteries/

I chose model: SKU: RNG-BATT-260-BC
They were on sale at the time I ordered for $279, however the regular price is $349 - US. One of the few that will fit in the Batt Box ETI uses, + FREE Shipping!
They weigh about 78 lbs. You use TWO 6v connected in SERIES. I will take them up with me when I pick up my 5th Wheel, they will install.

My personal opinion: These batteries can be used on their sides, or upside down for that matter (not recommended) and DO NOT require ventilation, they produce no gasses or need any fluids..they are completely sealed. They will pay for themselves over the life time x3 compared to the Lead Acid variety. They respond much more effectively to constant charging and discharging then a Lead Acid Battery... its a NO BRAINER!

I see a coupon on the web page, maybe that can be used to lower some cost. I did not investigate, since I already got a steal when I purchased mine.

Another hint: I have a new GMC Canyon 4x4 that did not come with factory brake controller, I chose to purchase the CURT ECHO - it is plug and play, no installation, and once paired to your cell phone - operates with bluetooth...check it out!! Also..they run up to $250, however, I found one at $229 etrailer.com)...BUT I purchased mine from TravelCampGear.com for $171.59 ! This unit is so smart and easy to use and you can use it to operate on up to 5 different trailors (2axle) - It remembers up to 5 different trailor profiles. Like I said - Plug n Play !!

s
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #65

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did you notice the batteries show 27A max charging current?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #66

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Lifetime of AGM vrs convertional lead acid. While we do agree that AGM batteries last longer than flooded lead acid batteries we do disagree that it is 3x longer. Even 2x longer is a push in our experience. In our sailing experiences we replaced our badly abused lead acid batteries every 2 years, we undercharged the batteries when cruising and overcharged them in storage. Other boats with far more sophisticated charging systems saw 3 years out of their AGM batteries. Yes, AGM batteries don't gas off and can be mounted on their sides, but don't go to the bank yet on longevity claims.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
I chose these 6v AGM batteries and ETI certified them for installation in by 5.0 TA under construction:
Renogy Deep Cycle Pure Gel Battery 6 Volt 260AHj
from
https://www.renogy.com/products/deep-cycle-batteries/

I chose model: SKU: RNG-BATT-260-BC

My personal opinion: These batteries can be used on their sides, or upside down for that matter (not recommended) and DO NOT require ventilation, they produce no gasses or need any fluids..they are completely sealed.
Both AGM and gel designs are Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) batteries, which is the term preferred over the previously used Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA). They don't vent in normal operation, and don't need replacement water for the electrolyte because they don't lose anything as gases; however, they have a relief valve for abnormal conditions (which is on the top - that's why mounting completely upside-down is not recommended).

Whether VRLA batteries need a vented enclosure for safety in case of the relief valve opening has been debated previously in this forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 F250
Just move them

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do as I did and request that the batteries be moved, maybe 3" to allow full access for checking the fluid level. It can be done...
I just moved mine. I closed the old vent hole with gasket material, got a vent kit for the box on line, drilled a new hole in the box, moved it and used the existing hose. Filling them is so much easier. When I replace them I will get sealed ones like AGM.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 19’
So what is involved in switching from lead acid to arm batteries? I have solar and 2-6V lead acid currently, picked our 19’ in August of 2017, so it is in my future.
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #70

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
So what is involved in switching from lead acid to arm batteries? I have solar and 2-6V lead acid currently, picked our 19’ in August of 2017, so it is in my future.
Not much. Make sure they fit...you should be able to match the GC2 type that you have currently with a Trojan T-105 or equivalent. Wire them up the same way (assuming you stick with dual 6V's) and change the charge profile on your solar controller to AGM.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For those exploring replacement batteries, there is another new contender - Si02. They have all the advantages of AGM, many of the advantages of Lithium, and can be charged at low temperatures. The disadvantages are cost & weight.

Amazon sells them

Some General Information

Canadian Source & more info
Old 09-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 19’
Thanks that seems about as simple as it could get. I had fat fingered AGM in my post,
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #73

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I know this. Lead-acid sucks! The times you really need it, it is the least available. Over use it and you damage it.

In two years I have an excuse to replace mine and I intend to run not walk to do so (maybe even with scissors in my hand if necessary). I do not think I am going to settle for short solutions. Right now, my intent is to go with four (4) Battleborn batteries and and whatever charger I need. Damn it, I'm stuttering again. I am budgeting around $5K for this one. I don't care! I want a GOOD solution!!!

I am hoping either the lithium batteries continue to get better or a better alternative shows up between now and then. I am married to NO technology and I do not like wondering if my system will work.

Do I seem opinionated?

AGM seems like a slight pickup from Lead-acid.

Si02 seems like it solves for some of the problems, but is not a full leap frog in technology.

Phase Plasma doesn't exist yet.

Lithium seems to be the pricey best option right now.

I know this! I can't use the microwave after dark to pop popcorn! I might run out of juice!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #74

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Does this make the SIo2 a serious contender?
Looks good to me, but I am way far from an expert.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Does this make the SIo2 a serious contender?
Looks good to me, but I am way far from an expert.
I considered them, but wanted to go to 200 usable amp hours & the weight of 200 amp hours worth of them would have added another 130 pounds to the trailer. With the lithium, I dropped 60 pounds from the pair of stock 6V batteries.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #76

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For those exploring replacement batteries, there is another new contender - Si02. They have all the advantages of AGM, many of the advantages of Lithium, and can be charged at low temperatures. The disadvantages are cost & weight.

Amazon sells them

Some General Information

$479 for 100ah and all the advantages of flooded and lithium without the drawbacks seems too good to be true.

How long have they been on the market?

Where can I find ratings?

When something sounds too good to be true it's usually . . . . .

Thanks,

Perry
Old 09-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
$479 for 100ah and all the advantages of flooded and lithium without the drawbacks seems too good to be true.

How long have they been on the market?

Where can I find ratings?

When something sounds too good to be true it's usually . . . . .

Thanks,

Perry
I have to say that anyone that chooses them is a pioneer since, as far as I know, they have only been around for a couple of years, but they do have some advantages.

I would still go with lithium, not because it is proven technology, but because I like the weight savings. I also appreciate the voltage curve of the lithium when powering my inverter. For larger trailers where one has 4 - 8 batteries, it isn't a problem, but with just one or two, it is tough to get the entire practical output of lead acid batteries before the voltage drops below inverter cutoff.

I am not familiar enough with the Si02 battery to know if they are still putting out over 12V under load when down to 20% or so, but that is not a problem with lithium.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Amazon sells them

Some General Information

In case it is not clear to everyone from the linked material, these "SiO2" or "silicon" models are still lead-acid batteries, as are AGM (and gel) batteries. That's why they weigh about the same as the same size and capacity of batteries of other lead-acid types.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #79

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I’ve heard good things about the BattleBorn batteries, but for myself money is an object and so I think I’ll just stick with Jiffy Pop popcorn if I want popcorn after dark.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #80

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
They have a 108AH - 12 V battery for under $800, but it is well over 100#. They also are 99% recyclable. Lead acid yes, but with much reduced sulfur, no maintenance and reduction of off gassing.
Maybe they will contend by the time we need new batteries.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote