Anyone Use a RhinoTote Tank? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Anyone Use a RhinoTote Tank?

After watching reviews on different tote tanks, like the 28gal Rhino. I would probably change out the wheels for wheel barrow ones. Any experience with totes?

jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Where are you going to keep it? Are you going to sanitize it after every use? Does it come in any other colour?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our camping/hiking/biking/social friends with a 23' Airstream own a tote and a Honda 2000i generator (and 300 watts of solar). After the first year both the tote and generator sit at home in their garage. Are you willing to give up space in your truck to carry those large items?

Only in summer, staying at their daughters camping acreage, do they carry the generator for their AC, otherwise during the other three seasons it stays home. We were jokingly offered their tote, but both of us broke out laughing. OTOH, some do lots of boondocking where the tote is needed.

Over years of camping we've learned how to conserve water, and have gone as long as 11 days in one site without dumping with our 5.0 TA.

Go camping first before carrying the kitchen sink.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 19' Escape
I purchased the Barker 15 gallon tote, but never used it..too big. I take qty 2, 5 gallon buckets with comfort handles and screw on lids. They fit in tight spots and can even put stuff inside. Only use for grey water. Once a day, either carry or set on tailgate to the dump or bath house.
Lighter, smaller, faster!
jcundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Totes

We bought the Rino 21 gallon for our E21 Where we stay in Illinois you set up for a month and the dump station is 1/2 mile away so instead of breaking camp we just use the tote for black and grey tanks Also we have to get water so we have 12 gallons (2tanks) Not tote Every other day.Dump black about every 5 days or so
It’s built much better then the bluish grey models with smaller wheels If you want or need the tote buy the Rino. JIm W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use a 6 gallon tote-n-store. Small enough to carry and fits under the bed in my 19. Empty more often, but is available in the rare case that I need it.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I use the 15 gallon Rino Tank. After extensive research picked one up in Scottsdale at the Walmart last year. Ordered a bumper mount assembly for it so don’t need to carry it in the Tundra bed. Must say it works great. Use it every 5 days or so in those places that don’t have sewer. Very easy to tow( go slow)and operate at the dump station. Easy to clean. In my opinion Rino makes the best tank.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a large Barker, somewhere around 30 gallons. And no, I have never taken it along. I bought it for home use if I come back and need to dump the tanks, I use the tote and dump it into the clean out of the septic tank. Additionally, if anyone is on an extended stay at the infamous Campsite #1 (or 1A), the Barker can be used in the same way. The nearest dump station is over 10 miles away. No sense hooking up, driving 20 miles round trip, and then have to set up all over again.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #9

A 28 gallon Rhino tank would weigh around 300 lbs. full.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It comes with a box of Wheaties.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I use a 5 gallon plastic pail with lid to dispose of grey water
Either hand carry or drive it to the dump station
We have never filled our black tank , the gray is a different story
When backwoods camping , I have strained the gray water through a screen / filter to remove food scraps and then used the water to extinguish our campfires
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not quite 300 lbs. if full, but the Barker has wide pneumatic tires and rolls over the turf easily. And in my case, the septic clean out is at most, 35 yards/34 meters from where I would empty my tanks. Honestly, it rarely gets used, but it is there if necessary. Its handle also fits over a trailer ball so if need be, I can tow it with my lawn tractor. It’s like my Honda EU2000i. I would only take it with the trailer if I were evacuating Florida due to an approaching hurricane. But I have it in the event that an indirect hurricane hit could result in a multi-day power outage. Should that happen, I can use the Escape and sleep in air conditioned comfort. I didn’t buy the generator for camping.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tanks

Hi Carl
I have considered bringing in a little fill dirt and top soil to regrade the yard around the septic tank so I could dump a blue tank at home if needed. I’m going to get it pumped shortly. I’ve had a near perfect balance on the tank since I moved to this house 14 years ago and this will be the first pumping so I do not worry about dumping in the clean out lid. It wouldn’t be worth major regrading so I could get the whole trailer lined up and elevated but for a portable tank it wouldn’t be a big project. The county just cleaned a section of the road ditch out at the farm and left about 15 tandem dump truck loads of black dirt in the old farmyard so soil acquisition is just a matter of a manual dragline and a strong back (read that a shovel and a son in law.)
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thought everyone in Iowa had a tractor with a bucket?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Operators

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thought everyone in Iowa had a tractor with a bucket?
Well I don’t know about everybody in Iowa but I know at two and three years old two of my grandsons are in training to operate the TC40D New Holland with 17LA loader under the tutelage of PopPop. They work for a half a candy bar and a half a bottle of pop yet, but there’s talk of needing a raise. So yes, I could haul the tank around in the bucket but those 23
degree bar tires are a little rough on the turf grass when it’s wet.
Have a great weekend.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E31E5BF0-9C6F-40ED-95BD-323B0B17156E.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Little US gallons, not Imperial... so "only" 250 pounds if full. And of course you only put in what needs to be emptied, which can be as little at a time as you want, but logically the black tank contents plus a quick flush of the grey tank contents at a minimum, with the rest of the grey tank contents as second load if needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:01 AM   #17

I was using the weight of a gallon of water ( approx. 8 lbs ) as a rough guide. I've no intention of working out the weight of a gallon of poop and then have somebody argue that vegetarians poop weighs more than carnivores, or less.
And, I don't know if it is full of sh*t or not.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have a different but similar brand of tote, 22 ]gallon I think. When we are parked for extended periods it is handy, just hook it behind the truck and tow slowly to the dump. Washes out easily. Fits on its side in our truck bed for travel. I picked it up for $4 at a thrift store-they didn’t know what it was! And it had never been used. No trouble with the wheels if you go slow.
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
After watching reviews on different tote tanks, like the 28gal Rhino. I would probably change out the wheels for wheel barrow ones. Any experience with totes?

Yes have looked at those Rhino tanks . Didn’t see them when we at kids in Washington and didn’t want to move trailer to go empty . We weren’t leaving yet so went to camping world and just picked up , can’t remember the name , a inexpensive one , a small one to get us by until we left . Last year It came in handy staying at another kids cabin in Idaho . There was lots of use in the cabin so nice to use our own toilet and have our own little space too. Bring it along sometimes just in case like Quartzite but didn’t need it . We would only get the small one because they can be very heavy to move .
Like how sturdy the Rhin’s look though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote