Battery fusing question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Battery fusing question

I am putting Battleborn Lithium GC2 format batteries in my new 5.0. They will be individually fused & switched prior to being combined and fused again for going to distribution. I will be wiring each battery thru the fuse & switch to the combining block using equal length runs to balance the load & charging (I'm starting with 2 batteries but allowing for 3 in my setup.)

My question concerns the size of the fuse at the individual batteries. The specs on the battery indicates that the BMS will allow 100 amp continuous with up to 200 amps for 30 seconds (and more for 5 seconds but that isn't useful to me). My biggest individual draw will be a 2000 watt inverter (166+ amps) plus whatever else.

With the batteries load balanced, what should I fuse each battery at? I currently have 100 amp fuses which should work, but was thinking it wouldn't hurt to get some larger ones. The fuses mount right at the battery post so changing a blown one is the same effort as temporarily totally removing it and connecting direct to the battery while waiting to get another fuse.

FYI - the attached pic shows the battery fuse setup I'll use: one at each battery and one for the output of the combining block. The largest of this type of fuse is 300 amps so that is what I have for the combined output. At the distribution board I have a 400 amp T fuse at its input (I got that fuse before deciding on the balanced battery setup).
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2019-08-25-09-51-46.jpg  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Your wire size comes into play here too. Make sure it’s heavy enough to handle the loads you’re talking about. I’m no expert here but I’ve seen melted insulation before the fuse opened a few times. And real tight connections.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Your wire size comes into play here too. Make sure it’s heavy enough to handle the loads you’re talking about. I’m no expert here but I’ve seen melted insulation before the fuse opened a few times. And real tight connections.
Iowa Dave
I have a (limited) supply of various sizes of cable including 4/0 for the main from combiner bar to distribution, 2/0, 1/0, 2, 4, etc for other purposes. I have a hydraulic crimper for the 2/0 & smaller cable lugs that does 4/0 with effort but it really squishes the lug so my “pound with a hammer” crimping tool will likely get some use.

My little refillable butane torch isn’t useful for soldering the big lugs so I’ll get a torch fitting for the skinny propane bottles (Bernzomatic).

I have a torque screwdriver for the inch-pound electrical fittings. It only goes down to 10 so the lightest might get tight but it goes to 50 so it will do most. I used my battery powered foot-pound socket wrench-style torque indicator to get the 60 ft lb for the Anderson.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sounds like you are ready to do some electrical work. Good luck, I hope it comes out like you planned.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would fuse for the lowest-capacity component (conductor, connector, etc) that the fuse is protecting... not just enough for the load device. Of course is your wiring is appropriate, the corresponding fuse will be more than enough for the load.

So, for instance, if your wiring is good for 300 amps, that's what I would use, even if the inverter might be okay with 167 amps.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote