Battery Monitors - Victron BMV-712 or AiLi Battery Monitor - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I have taken a different approach to battery monitoring and replaced my existing solar controller with a Victron SmartSolar 100/30 controller. There were several reasons for my replacement: I wanted to run 24 volt panels, I wanted MPPT and I was tired of my Trimetric Battery Monitor.

My point in the post is to discuss the battery monitoring built into this controller. Yes, it requires a smart phone and the download of their free app and yes it does have a limited range of about 20 feet outside the trailer (it does have networking capability that I have not explored), but does it ever give great data. For one, you do not have to get up from you favorite adult beverage to go inside to check and second the results are clear and easy to understand. The Victron clearly tells you what process is occurring on your solar charge. Bulk, Absorption or Float in my case as I do not do equalize. The best part is it also graphs these stages and gives you 30 days of results.

Here is a link to the app for the Victron.
https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...t#pd-nav-image
I have the Victron 100/30 as well. It's a great solar controller but there is one thing that it doesn't do. It doesn't monitor the status of the battery.

The solar controller will tell you everything you want to know about how the solar panels and the charger are performing. It knows nothing about battery discharge rates or about other devices charging the battery.

To accurately monitor the batteries, you need a shunt type battery monitor. I have the Victron 700 battery monitor with bluetooth dongle. When I bought it, the Victron 712 had not been released or I would have bought the 712 instead.

Since I have both the Victron solar controller and the battery monitor, it is easy to differentiate the functions of the two. The battery monitor gives a complete picture of the status of the batteries while the solar controller keeps me informed on how the solar panels are performing. Two different functions.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #82

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Looking a bit at the documentation for those (undoubtedly very nice) Victron Monitors, Controllers, and associated software/apps I'm not finding anything about an ability to export (.csv format?) historic data so it can be imported to a spreadsheet (maybe in the network version of add-on hardware interfaces and software, but I've not looked into that extra $$ system).

Anyone with the 'commonly used' Victron MPPT Controller and/or Monitor and software able to comment on that capability? I'm curious about the ability to 'data log' for later analysis on a PC laptop (e.g. time-plot of amps-draw by a compressor fridge as it cycles on/off over a period of time and at different ambient conditions; or microwave loading).
Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #83

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Looking a bit at the documentation for those (undoubtedly very nice) Victron Monitors, Controllers, and associated software/apps I'm not finding anything about an ability to export (.csv format?) historic data so it can be imported to a spreadsheet (maybe in the network version of add-on hardware interfaces and software, but I've not looked into that extra $$ system).

Anyone with the 'commonly used' Victron MPPT Controller and/or Monitor and software able to comment on that capability? I'm curious about the ability to 'data log' for later analysis on a PC laptop (e.g. time-plot of amps-draw by a compressor fridge as it cycles on/off over a period of time and at different ambient conditions; or microwave loading).
Too much info for me. I just wanted something to give me the present state of the batteries
Old 09-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

You have to use a VE.Direct to USB cable with a PC and VictronConnect software.

https://www.victronenergy.com/access...-usb-interface approx. $28

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

https://community.victronenergy.com/...-to-usb-c.html
Old 10-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A fairly new offer from Victron is the Smart Shunt. It is less expensive than the 712, and does not require making a hole to mount the meter. There is no meter - it uses Bluetooth to communicate with your phone.

Jon- Did you connect your Victron devices with their VE.direct network cable? If so, what does that buy you?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Jon- Did you connect your Victron devices with their VE.direct network cable? If so, what does that buy you?
With the Victron devices you can configure "VE.Smart Networking" using bluetooth so no additional cabling is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20201007-110019.jpg   Screenshot_20201007-110232.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
No. I did add a battery temperature probe which connects at the shunt, and linked the 712 & the 100/30 solar controller through the "Smart Networking" using the Bluetooth app, but not with physical wiring. The temperature sensor is used to shut off the solar controller if the temperature goes below 34°F.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #88

Got my new Victron 712 installed while at my fishing hole last week and all seems to be operating ok.

I didn't have the right hole saw with me, of course. I stuck it in a small clock stand and set it on the counter extender at the dinette. Fits the stand perfect! This is a temp solution that may become a perm. I like to move it about and face in a different direction. Cable snaking up under the cushion looks a bit tacky

The manual states that the BMV auto syncs to full charged when the voltage and tail current parameters are met.

It also states a bit later that the fluctuating charge currents with solar systems may cause premature auto syncs. The parameters may be tweaked in setup to prevent this from happening. Anyone felt the need to do this?

Probably a non issue. If this does occur because of a cloudy, raining day, it seems to me it would fix itself tomorrow (or whenever) when sun is out.

The only visible thing I can see happening on auto sync is the Ah resetting to zero. My be other things happening in the background.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #89

I took a Hydraulic crimper I got from our shop with me last week with the intention of making new cables for connection to the Victron shunt and could not get the die from the piston side of the tool. The die from the stationary side popped out easy.

I tried pulling the die with some channel locks and the piston acted as if it wanted to come out with it so I backed off. Is there something I can't remember about this tool? I forget things rather easily now.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Never had such an issue with my cheapo hydraulic crimper.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote