Battery Switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0
Battery Switch

I am a owner of a new to us 2019 5.0 with a factory installed solar system and I am confused about what the battery toggle switch switch under the dinette. What does it do & when do I use it ? When I switch it to the "off" position all the 12v lights etc. still work. I am familiar with boats and when you switch the Batt switch to "off" it disconnects all 12v systems. The owners manual doesn't mention this switch & I didn't receive and manuals on the solar system. Thx
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Are you connected to shore power when you are switching the battery disconnect switch to off? It isolates the batteries from your electrical system - normally the only time you would turn it off is when you are storing the trailer, to prevent phantom loads (like the propane detector) from draining the batteries. But if you are connected to shore power, all of your 12 volt appliances/lights will still get power from the converter in your power center.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I am a owner of a new to us 2019 5.0 with a factory installed solar system and I am confused about what the battery toggle switch switch under the dinette. What does it do & when do I use it ? When I switch it to the "off" position all the 12v lights etc. still work. I am familiar with boats and when you switch the Batt switch to "off" it disconnects all 12v systems. The owners manual doesn't mention this switch & I didn't receive and manuals on the solar system. Thx
It is confusing as it is a double negative! Turning the Battery Disconnect switch to ON disconnects the battery for the 12V system. Turning the switch to OFF, connects the battery to the 12V system! Good Luck!
The solar panel will charge the battery, whether the switch is OFF or ON. If you are equipped, an electric Jack will also operate, as it wired directly to the battery!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #4

Ok thx I just tested, no 120v connected , trailer is inside and solar controller is at 0.0. I turned on the frig to DC & exhaust fan. The switch makes no difference everything stays on in the on & off position? The PO told me the switch didn't do anything I am now thinking faulty switch or possibly wired incorrectly.
So if I understand correctly the switch should disconnect all 12v except the jacks and only needs to be used during long storage.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Some time during 2019 ETI changed to a more robust disconnect switch. Depending on when your trailer was built it may have the new one, or it may have the old one which was a pretty cheap flimsy switch that was known to fail.

Here's a photo of the new switch - with the red toggle key - and they are mounted underneath one of the dinette benches. The old switch was a small metal toggle switch that was mounted on the exterior of one of the side dinette benches. If you have the old switch, rather than replace it with the same thing it would be a good idea to get a more robust and durable switch instead. If you have the new switch, that's the first instance I have heard of one of them going bad.
Attached Thumbnails
New disconnect switch.jpg  
Old 09-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #6

I like the look of that switch. I have the old style toggle. I removed one of the wires on the toggle switch & the lights went out, tested the switch with an olm meter it tested ok. Strangely I left the switch in the open position reconnected the wire, now it is working correctly. It must have been internally stuck or ??. Anyway I think I will go ahead and replace it with the new style. Thank you for your help
Old 09-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Slight clarification to what has been said here. With disconnect / battery "off", there is still power to the jack (if you have a powered one), emergency brake, inverter, solar controller / charger (going to battery), and the DC to DC charger (again, going "to" battery). So if you're poking around and think the battery is off, that's not quite the case.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I like the look of that switch. I have the old style toggle. I removed one of the wires on the toggle switch & the lights went out, tested the switch with an olm meter it tested ok. Strangely I left the switch in the open position reconnected the wire, now it is working correctly. It must have been internally stuck or ??. Anyway I think I will go ahead and replace it with the new style. Thank you for your help
If anyone is looking for a nice replacement switch for the old toggle that extends out the face of the dinette seat I recommend this:
https://powerwerx.com/panelhdsw-heavy-duty-switch
Rated for 100A continuous and is much smaller than the Blue Sea marine battery switches that you typically see. Something with a small form factor looks better IMO if it is installed in the dinette seat face
They also make the same one with a removable knob if one prefers:
https://powerwerx.com/panelhdswk-hea...removable-knob
Old 09-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
It is confusing as it is a double negative! Turning the Battery Disconnect switch to ON disconnects the battery for the 12V system. Turning the switch to OFF, connects the battery to the 12V system! Good Luck!
True. That's why this type of switch in many RVs is labelled like the one in our motorhome:
  • Use (battery connected to rest of system)
  • Store (battery disconnected from most of system)
In an Escape, as Steve and Alan explained, some stuff stays connected even in "Store", such as the solar power system and in at least some cases the tongue jack. The breakaway system for the brakes should always stay connected (so it keeps working in either switch position).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Some time during 2019 ETI changed to a more robust disconnect switch.
Here's a photo of the new switch - with the red toggle key...
A solid choice - those are usually rated for at least 100 amps continuous duty and at least 400 amps intermittently. They are typically used for kill switches in race cars and other equipment.

Quote:
I like the look of that switch.
If you pick that style, note that the red handle comes right out in the disconnected position, so that one has a leash so it doesn't get misplaced. They normally have a hole in the handle for a leash, but may not come with the actual leash... so add a leash if needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The solar panel will charge the battery, whether the switch is OFF or ON. If you are equipped, an electric Jack will also operate, as it wired directly to the battery!
Your trailer is the opposite to what the switch does in both my Escapes. Turn it on and I have 12V power, turn is off and I don't. I am wondering why yours would be different. It is just a switch after all.

I turn my light switch on and the lights come on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 21NE
My switch connects batteries when in the "ON" position and disconnects the batteries when in the "OFF" position.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19' on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
My switch connects batteries when in the "ON" position and disconnects the batteries when in the "OFF" position.
Here's a pic of the switch on my 2018 e19
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220921_154408284~2.jpg  
Onestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Your trailer is the opposite to what the switch does in both my Escapes. Turn it on and I have 12V power, turn is off and I don't. I am wondering why yours would be different. It is just a switch after all.

I turn my light switch on and the lights come on.
You are right, Jim! I just re-read my post and you say it much better than I. Due to the double negative, it is a mistake to think of it as a ‘Battery Disconnect Switch’. Think of it as a ‘Battery Connect Switch’. On, 12V On. Off, 12V Off.

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Think of it as a ‘Battery Connect Switch’. On, 12V On. Off, 12V Off.

Cheers
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote