Bent propane quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Bent propane quick connect

On our recent trip, when we arrived at a campsite, I saw that the quick connect for propane had been bent toward the rear of the trailer so that the valve was partly open. We assume this was caused by some sort of road debris being kicked up into the trailer. Looking underneath, I saw that the tubing between where the quick connect is secured to the trailer frame and underneath the trailer was also bent backwards, I gently straightened the quick connect end and it seems to work fine.

I am concerned that if it happens again, that the trailer propane system would be disabled. (This is a good reason to travel with propane off, as I always do.) I am planning to put some sort of angle or bar before the tubing to protect it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else taken steps to protect the tubing?
Attached Thumbnails
Propane.jpg  
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do you have splash guards on your tow vehicle? That may help with some debris...
Old 06-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do you have splash guards on your tow vehicle? That may help with some debris...
Yes, we have splash guards. We think the debris was a piece of retread that we were unable to avoid.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
On our recent trip, when we arrived at a campsite, I saw that the quick connect for propane had been bent toward the rear of the trailer so that the valve was partly open. We assume this was caused by some sort of road debris being kicked up into the trailer. Looking underneath, I saw that the tubing between where the quick connect is secured to the trailer frame and underneath the trailer was also bent backwards, I gently straightened the quick connect end and it seems to work fine.

I am concerned that if it happens again, that the trailer propane system would be disabled. (This is a good reason to travel with propane off, as I always do.) I am planning to put some sort of angle or bar before the tubing to protect it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else taken steps to protect the tubing?
while doing a build sheet and reading what info about it...the 1st thought that came to mind seeing a picture of it previously ...was that pipe thing hanging out in space by itself is an accident waiting to happen...not sure what the stats are for that happening...but didn't choose to put it on a build sheet unless there was some protective metal/better design for it...and after looking at your posted pic, pretty much confirms original thought..
if it ain't too much trouble could you post a pic looking from the ground up at the bent pipe and its connection to the propane tubing..thanks
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ouch.

I believe that the gas line is bendable copper with a protective covering. That stuff is not supposed to be repeatedly bent and can be kinked, so I would look at it carefully to see if that piece should be replaced; if it does, the flare connections should be reasonably straightforward. This might be one reason that many RVs use iron pipe with threaded connections under the floor (although it's heavier and it means dealing with tapered pipe threads).

For those without Escape's optional front storage box, relocating the outlet might be worth considering - on top of the tongue wouldn't be much further away and would be very well protected.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
while doing a build sheet and reading what info about it...the 1st thought that came to mind seeing a picture of it previously ...was that pipe thing hanging out in space by itself is an accident waiting to happen...not sure what the stats are for that happening...but didn't choose to put it on a build sheet unless there was some protective metal/better design for it...and after looking at your posted pic, pretty much confirms original thought..
if it ain't too much trouble could you post a pic looking from the ground up at the bent pipe and its connection to the propane tubing..thanks
I have it, but another thing I don't like about the location is that is so close to the door step. I may relocate my toward the rear of the trailer, if possible. I have not looked under the trailer to see if that is ideal or not.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A few ideas I have seen to protect the QC seem like a good retrofit to do, and could be adapted to fit on an Escape. My favourite is the second option.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

I am considering buying this Bullfinch Gas Point to use. I would have to install it after the fact myself, as being from the UK, I doubt it is CSA approved. I am considering doing it on the front under the loft, and near the passenger side. I have contacted them, and they will ship international.

Click on image for link
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I have it, but another thing I don't like about the location is that is so close to the door step. I may relocate my toward the rear of the trailer, if possible.
You might consider on top of the frame rail where it comes out from under the trailer body, just before the bumper. Easy mounting and highly protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A few ideas I have seen to protect the QC seem like a good retrofit to do, and could be adapted to fit on an Escape. My favourite is the second option...
Good ideas. The third one appears to be rigid pipe with supports to the frame and the side of the step frame.

Quote:
I am considering buying this Bullfinch Gas Point to use. I would have to install it after the fact myself, as being from the UK, I doubt it is CSA approved.
It looks like a tidy setup, but you need to be willing to use hose over a barb with a clamp, which is normal Euro practice but definitely part of your 'not CSA-spec' issue.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Before I bought my 19' I specifically asked Reace about the possibility of the quick connect getting bent, as it looked from the on-line pictures that it was in a vulnerable spot for damage. He indicated that he didn't think that damage was likely to be an issue. We went for that option and are happy that we did. However, it does look as if (from at least this one incident) that there is some possibility of damage. After having used ours quite extensively, I no longer have any concerns about it, but do recognize that there is a possibility of road debris hitting it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It looks like a tidy setup, but you need to be willing to use hose over a barb with a clamp, which is normal Euro practice but definitely part of your 'not CSA-spec' issue.
I would have a propane shop, or a Fairview Fittings, do a crump fitting, rather than use a house clamp.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
I would have a propane shop, or a Fairview Fittings, do a [crimp] fitting, rather than use a [hose] clamp.
Let us know if this works out - and I hope it does - but I don't think that will be possible. I'm guessing that the tail connector's hose barb (or "ribbed spigot") is an integral part of the connector, and I doubt anyone here will crimp a hose onto that; if the barb can be removed, what adapter will fit? If crimping hose onto it, it should be 8 mm hose; 5/16" hose might work if you can find it, but what about the other end which will expect 1/4" hose?

I had a custom propane hose assembly built quite a while ago, but in recent years I haven't been able to find anyone to make one at all - each potential supplier directs me to another company, which also won't make them for propane. High-pressure hydraulic - sure.

There's also the 8 mm inlet tubing. It may be interchangeable with 5/16" (although the compression fitting might be less tolerant of diameter variance than the flare used here), but even that means a 5/16" to 3/8" union would be needed. Maybe you could use 8 mm hydraulic line and flare it for the union end.

According to the sign on their door, Fairview in Edmonton won't even deal with retail customers to sell them propane fittings, let alone do custom assembly.

Edit: the user instructions say to attach the appliance hose with "swage or crimp clips", rather than a hose clamp, but I still think you're doing this yourself.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #13

Trailer: pondering.....
Jim...what is pic #3 the underside of?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Jim...what is pic #3 the underside of?
No idea, I just came across these a while back when browsing for ideas.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
A few ideas I have seen to protect the QC seem like a good retrofit to do, and could be adapted to fit on an Escape. My favourite is the second option.

Yea the second option does look good.
Looks to me to just be a hunk of sturdy L metal bolted to the frame to be a shield?
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Yea the second option does look good.
Looks to me to just be a hunk of sturdy L metal bolted to the frame to be a shield?
Yes, but how would you attach it? That trailer has an I-beam frame, which is not the same as the Escape's tubing. It can certainly be done properly, but I wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the frame just to attach a bracket, so some planning is required.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Only recall this one post with it being bent by something with all the miles on Escapes with a QC. I don't recall ever running across a post on this issue on stickie forums, but I'm sure there are some. It seems that occurrences of this particular issue seem statistically pretty slim.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but how would you attach it? That trailer has an I-beam frame, which is not the same as the Escape's tubing. It can certainly be done properly, but I wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the frame just to attach a bracket, so some planning is required.
Something attached with small tapped and threaded bolts, or properly welded on would work without affecting the frame.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
Brian B-P, I went to the Edmonton Fairview shop on Tuesday to get pieces to convert my appliances to quick connect (picking up 5.0 next week) and even though the sign on the front door made me wonder if I could pick up the parts retail, I went around back to the warehouse, as the sign suggested, and I got great service, advice and all the parts I needed, which I couldn't get in Rocky Mountain House.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Brian B-P, I went to the Edmonton Fairview shop on Tuesday to get pieces to convert my appliances to quick connect (picking up 5.0 next week) and even though the sign on the front door made me wonder if I could pick up the parts retail, I went around back to the warehouse, as the sign suggested, and I got great service, advice and all the parts I needed, which I couldn't get in Rocky Mountain House.
I too have always got good service from Fairview Fittings here in Calgary. When I bought my Dickinson Spitfire, the girl there said I could get any fittings I needed to connect it to the trailer from Fairview Fittings in Burnaby. It was when I went to their site I realized they were in Calgary too.