Black, grey water tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 17 B ESCAPE
Black, grey water tanks

We bought a 2004 17b last October. In storage at Sooke, B. C. Soon to be brought home to Saskatoon. While driving back I want to give both storage tanks a good cleaning with the help road bumps, start and go, etc. Would like recommendations on products that will yield the best result. Open to dumping half way to reload for remainder of trip.
nomade do vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Odorlos.
But, not sure what the point is if you plan to use them eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 02-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Odorlos.
But, not sure what the point is if you plan to use them eventually.
We second that ! The best ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade do vento View Post
We bought a 2004 17b last October. In storage at Sooke, B. C. Soon to be brought home to Saskatoon. While driving back I want to give both storage tanks a good cleaning with the help road bumps, start and go, etc. Would like recommendations on products that will yield the best result. Open to dumping half way to reload for remainder of trip.
We have been using Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment for about seven years now and are very pleased with it.

https://www.usautoauthority.com/best...nts/#tab-con-1
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade do vento View Post
Put your favorite tank chemical in Black and Grey along with 5 gal of water.....let it splash around and liquify and gunk in the tank dump as soon as you arrive so it is still stirred up.

I like to use one of the tank flushing wands like this: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...1973895&sr=8-7 to flush out the tanks when you dump this time and then every once in a while after that, it helps to keep your level probes clean and the gunk from building up in the tank corners. Stick it down the toilet, turn on the hose and move it around, then dump and repeat until water come out clean.

It might be a good idea to put a capful or so of bleach in the fresh tank and fill it with water....run all taps till you smell chlorine and flush out with fresh water at home. More bleach is NOT better, just use a few ounces!

Have fun!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 17 B ESCAPE
Thanks Ian, Sue. The master blaster has been ordered for future use. The results of the online reviews were just what I was looking for.
nomade do vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I add Calgon powder water softener and laundry soap to my tanks to help keep them clean. Your black water tank, like mine, is only 7.5 gallons and is directly under the toilet so it is easy to keep clean. I have rebuilt my drain lines and it is much easier if everything is clean.
I have three free dump stations within 2 miles of my house so it is easy to take the time to flush the tanks. It is awkward to spend more than just a few minutes when others are waiting in line. I’ll usually do a quick drain at the camp ground station, add water and agents and then take my time when I get home.
Some folks clean them, some folks don’t; it’s all personal preference.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #8

Before you put too much confidence in whatever you choose to add to your tank, take a moment ( eight of them ) to watch this video showing that adding ice to your black tank and driving around, doesn't accomplish anything.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Yep, need to clean them out with a wand if you want a clean tank.
I use both a Flush King and a wand.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Degr.../dp/B008O9DV78
A Johnny Chock makes it easier to use a wand and may prevent damage to the toilet valve.
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product...omotive&sr=1-2
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

This is my version of a Johnny Chock. Get them on sale for $3.69. Works for me in a 17B, but depends on placement of toilet.
Holds the trap open so it's not damaged by closing on the wand.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet lever prop.jpg  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
A Johnny Chock makes it easier to use a wand and may prevent damage to the toilet valve.
For almost 40 years ,the wand , the only way for clean black tank Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I had pretty good results with this stuff. If at all possible, using the hottest water possible can also help. I usually try to do it in installments basically turning the water heater on electric+propane and emptying all the hot water then waiting 10 minutes. If you have a neighbor with an external shower and a bucket you can also try to use their water heater to speed things up.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Filling the gray tank to almost full capacity and adding around 20 ounces of Cascade Dishwashing Gel diluted in hot water will, when sloshed around, degrease the tank probes and walls of the gray tank if there has been oily food residue poured down the drain. The gel does not create a lot of suds but does “dissolve” grease.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 17b
Great purchase! You are going to love it. I completely get you for wanting everything to be perfect in your new home away from home. You will enjoy it immensely. It is a memory making machine☺we bought a 2006 17b almost two years ago. Feel free to mag me if you have any "new owner questions" no matter how silly you think they may be ☺

That's a long road trip. You'll probably use the toilet for #1 on your journey, no?

Maybe just squeese some dish soap in there and make sure there's a few gallons of water in there to slosh about. Ours has never been used for #2 luckily. Keeps the tank cleaner and makes for a more pleasurable experience when dumping the tank.
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Filling the gray tank to almost full capacity and adding around 20 ounces of Cascade Dishwashing Gel diluted in hot water will, when sloshed around, degrease the tank probes and walls of the gray tank if there has been oily food residue poured down the drain. The gel does not create a lot of suds but does “dissolve” grease.
I have to agree , if Cascade can get your dishes clean enough to eat / drink from it should do a more than adequate job cleaning waste tanks !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use it regularly for weight control, see here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ing-16764.html
Old 03-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have to agree , if Cascade can get your dishes clean enough to eat / drink from it should do a more than adequate job cleaning waste tanks !

Of course, how effective it is depends on how hot the water is, which is why dishwashers have water heaters in them.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Starting Point

I can easily understand your motive in wanting clean tanks before you really start camping in earnest. Especially on a 15 year old camper where you cannot
be fully sure of past practices. The same is understandable on other systems in your trailer , where you want to establish a baseline as a reference for future maintenance. Brake lining thickness, wheel bearing wear, electrical system viability, tire age and tire wear are just a few that come to mind. PM isn’t just private messages, it has stood for P reventative M aintenance for decades.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Of course, how effective it is depends on how hot the water is, which is why dishwashers have water heaters in them.
Detergent in a water solution does not need to be super hot to dissolve grease. It just needs to penetrate the grease molecules. Sloshing around accomplishes that nicely. Try putting a detergent solution in a gray water tank you think is clean, drive it enough miles/Km to slosh it around, and then open the drain valve and see what comes out.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
For your black tank, use a tank rinser wand to flush out the tank during the dump process. This Camco version is available at hardware stores and at Amazon.

Incidentally, you might want to check out this you-tube video which "clinically studied" a couple of those black tank rinsing gadgets and how effective they might be:
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote