Black Tank Rinse on 21? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Black Tank Rinse on 21?

Hello, Was wondering how one does it on the 21' since the bath window is on the curb side and with the awning retracted, u can't open window? I currently have Casita and looking to upgrade to Escape 21' and educating myself before purchase. On Casita @ dump station, i run the toilet rinser wand through the bath window (street side-dump valve) and clean away.
Thanks
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beats me what one would do on a 21, unless other windows open, like on my 17B. I run a hose in the rear driver side window, or through the door.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We didn't opt for a window in the bath of our 21' (we wanted to minimize holes cut in the side wall and potential places for problems to occur). It's only about 4 feet from the door to the toilet.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They have accessories that use your shower sink for a supply to rinse out your toilet in baths without opening windows. here is one for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/232933544170
Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While it does involve making a hole in the shell of your trailer, a Tornado Tank Rinser can be added and solves the problem of hauling a hose into the trailer. I haven't yet added one to the 21, but added one to both the black & gray tanks on my 17. Worked well.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have a 50 ft hose in the storage box for cleaning purposes. I just run it through the door with a wand on the end and do the job. The bathroom window looks like a hassle to open. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Not the question you asked, but:

After watching this video I concluded that no amount of washing/ rinsing/ backflow/ gadget was ever going to clean that tank out.. and then I was at peace with the full knowledge that it would just remain dirty forever. I've never used a wand and just do the regular thing of dumping the tanks when they are full.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The wand does give you a chance at cleaning off the sensors, which is all I sorta care about.

Reace drilled a couple more holes in the tip of my wand at an angle so that water shoots out and up as well as out the sides. You have to take care not to flush yourself when using it.
Attached Thumbnails
wand 1.jpg  
Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #9

This may or not work for you, just a thought but what I have done, it works for me,
I make sure the tank is full, it is about a 12 K drive to the dump station.
If the tank gets sloshed around all the better, then I drain the tank.
I have on occasion refilled the tank with clear water and drove back to the dump station a second time and dumped the tank again.
This appears to leave the tank clean.
We do have an advantage, the dump station does not charge.
In the summer there is a line up of trailers on some days.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While it does involve making a hole in the shell of your trailer, a Tornado Tank Rinser can be added and solves the problem of hauling a hose into the trailer. I haven't yet added one to the 21, but added one to both the black & gray tanks on my 17. Worked well.
Please post when you add the black tank rinser to your 21. I debate the best location for the rinser head.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Trailer: ?
I’ve used this with very good success for quite some time. No hose to drag inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Holding...rv+waste+valve
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have one that operates like the Camco ... the https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-.../dp/B008O9DV78. We were pretty skeptical about it at first (it was a gift from another RVer) but have found that it does a pretty decent job. On our previous trailer, we used the 'wand' mentioned above and it was great but could be a little messy. With the Valterra, just be sure you use a hose just for that purpose ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Trailer: shopping
Grey tank to Black tank back flush?

I know this is an old thread but seemed to be one that was directly on my subject.

Just doing a bunch of reading and watching videos to gain some knowledge on all kinds of stuff in preparation for buying a trailer. I seeing the dual flush products mentioned here it reminded me of a video I saw before where the guy had one of these extra gates only no flush.

He said he first dumped the black like normal and then closed the extra valve and opened the black then grey causing water from the grey to equalize with the black tank maybe not completely but many gallons as I remember. He then closed grey and allowed black to drain and repeated this process a couple times.

My only thought was black tank bacteria getting into the grey, but maybe I am over thinking since you can use a deodorizing/anti-bacteria additive to both.

My question is for you experienced flushers, Good idea or Bad to use the grey tank to do some black tank back flushing?
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Not the question you asked, but:

After watching this video I concluded that no amount of washing/ rinsing/ backflow/ gadget was ever going to clean that tank out.. and then I was at peace with the full knowledge that it would just remain dirty forever. I've never used a wand and just do the regular thing of dumping the tanks when they are full.

We are of the same school . We have never had a trailer with a black tank flush or used a hose through a door or window . My thought is that once a black tank always a black tank
We dump our black tank , move our trailer out of the dump station , add 3 or 4 gallons of water from our fresh water tank into the black tank along with some laundry soap and hit the road
I have waited in line at the dump station with numerous others while someone attempts to clean out every last trace from their black tank . In my estimation he has wasted his time as well as mine .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are of the same school . We have never had a trailer with a black tank flush or used a hose through a door or window . My thought is that once a black tank always a black tank
We dump our black tank , move our trailer out of the dump station , add 3 or 4 gallons of water from our fresh water tank to the black tank along with some laundry soap and hit the road
I have waited in line at the dump station with numerous others while someone attempts to clean out every last trace from their black tank . In my estimation he has wasted his time as well as mine .
I flush out our black tank at home. Drag the hose over and through the door, attach the flushing thing, shut off trailer water, open toilet valve, stick thing down, turn on hose water, move thing around to get spray jets in all directions, shut off hose water, go out and dump into a 5 gal bucket, cart inside house and dump down toiler, do it again and again until water dumps clear.

I would worry about doing the grey/black mix thing as I like to keep the grey pretty clean and would worry about getting black in the grey. So far my grey does not have stink problems and I do not put chemical down it. I also do not let food go down, fats etc go in the fire or a dumpster, so just soapy water in grey really.

I have dumped grey into a bucket and dumped it into the toilet as a quick flush if no one else is at the dump station and I have the time.

You can also put some water and extra chemical in the black tank after dumping and dump at the next campground when you arrive and it is good an stirred up.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I would worry about doing the grey/black mix thing as I like to keep the grey pretty clean and would worry about getting black in the grey.
Apparently the newer trailers run this risk inherent to the plumbing design with a common tank vent. Not sure if it is across all models. I don’t particularly like it but the solution as reported from Escape is to not overfill your black tank.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ter-16444.html
Old 01-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Apparently the newer trailers run this risk inherent to the plumbing design with a common tank vent. Not sure if it is across all models. I don’t particularly like it but the solution as reported from Escape is to not overfill your black tank.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ter-16444.html
Hmm interesting and not in a good way...I was referring to the idea of PatrickTXFL who mentioned having an extra valve so you can let the grey run into the black.

After using the flushing wand I am a convert...my sensors work mostly(I usually flush when they stop working or if the camper is going to sit a while) and there was a lot of uhhh stuff that flushed out of the tank.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTXFL View Post
I know this is an old thread but seemed to be one that was directly on my subject.

Just doing a bunch of reading and watching videos to gain some knowledge on all kinds of stuff in preparation for buying a trailer. I seeing the dual flush products mentioned here it reminded me of a video I saw before where the guy had one of these extra gates only no flush.

He said he first dumped the black like normal and then closed the extra valve and opened the black then grey causing water from the grey to equalize with the black tank maybe not completely but many gallons as I remember. He then closed grey and allowed black to drain and repeated this process a couple times.

My only thought was black tank bacteria getting into the grey, but maybe I am over thinking since you can use a deodorizing/anti-bacteria additive to both.

My question is for you experienced flushers, Good idea or Bad to use the grey tank to do some black tank back flushing?
I'm not a fan of this for the reason you mentioned. I prefer to minimize the black water in the gray system. I use the Camco Rhino Blaster with Gate valve and it has worked well to rinse the blank tank. If the sensors were covered this may not solve the issue but it seems to work pretty darn well to flush out the tank.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure if this makes any difference but the new trailers come standard with Horst probes on the tank sensors.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
After using the flushing wand I am a convert...my sensors work mostly(I usually flush when they stop working or if the camper is going to sit a while) and there was a lot of uhhh stuff that flushed out of the tank.
I've done numerous wand flushings on the black tank but my sensor always reads "full".

Can someone confirm that I could switch my original (standard) sensors to the "Horst" brand? Will they work with the existing display?
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote