Black water tank sensor broken. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2023, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0
Black water tank sensor broken.

I have a 2019 5.0 TA. I am the second owner and noticed that the black water sensor was not working. So while replacing a leaking toilet water fill line I decided to take a look at the sensor with my borescope. As I feared, it was practically ripped off and gone. See picture. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, does anyone have a part number for the replacement? Thank you for any help.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
43D54D66-4DCD-4B9A-BEAE-4C893EC2F34A.jpg  
Shusterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm not sure what's shown in your picture, Mike, but if your 2019 5.0 has the standard KIB tank monitor system typically installed by ETI .... the black tank sensors are accessed through the removable panel in the propane storage area on the driver's side. That will reveal the exposed front of the black tank in the jack compartment, and the four KIB tank sensors with wires (see attached pic).

If you have the ETI-optional SeeLevel system, I believe the black tank sensor-strip for that will also be on the front of the tank where the KIB sensors are shown in my pic.

You may be dealing with an aftermarket / non-OE tank monitor mod by the previous owner?

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
KIB 5_0 black tank sensors.jpg   KIB panel.jpg  
Old 03-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
If it is broken
The SeaLevel system is superior
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Oh. I didn’t know that anyone had black tank monitors that worked!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My SeeLevel system works, but is the only black sensor that ever has. Even then, the tank requires an occasional rinsing.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Oh. I didn’t know that anyone had black tank monitors that worked!
Keeping the standard tank monitoring systems working seems to be one of life’s greatest mysteries. Everyone seems to have problems.
I have an unproven theory that most of the black tank problems may be a result of all the chemicals that we flush down the toilet to control odors and liquefy waste. Many are very corrosive and seemingly likely to cause problems with the sensor electronics.
The grey and fresh water tanks also frequently have problems as well, but they are mostly due to the sensors being underneath the trailer and exposed to road debris damage as well as moisture. ETI’s use of non waterproof electrical wiring connections (corrosion) and poorly crimped wire splices also can be a source of problems.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
If you have a bad sensor, the sensor can be replaced.
A general google search will find replacements.
I like buying from “etrailer”, they have many videos showing how to install the different products they sell. Their install videos are well done and very detailed, it’s worth supporting them by buying from them.

If you decide to up grade to the “seelevel system”, their install video shows it to be a very simple job. If when my monitor system starts to act up, I will up grade.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
If you have a bad sensor, the sensor can be replaced.
A general google search will find replacements.
I like buying from “etrailer”, they have many videos showing how to install the different products they sell. Their install videos are well done and very detailed, it’s worth supporting them by buying from them.

If you decide to up grade to the “seelevel system”, their install video shows it to be a very simple job. If when my monitor system starts to act up, I will up grade.
Thank you.
Mike
Shusterm is offline   Reply With Quote