Breakaway switch fuse/breaker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Breakaway switch fuse/breaker

So, I've had my head in the 7 pin J-box inside the trailer while working on my solar installation.

Currently the hot lead from the 7 pin connector is connected by a wirenut to the breakaway switch lead , and a jumper from the positive battery lead...that is connected to the ETI installed 30 amp stud mount circuit breaker.

BUT this hot connection to the breakaway circuit is on the battery side of the breaker, not the "protected" side of the breaker. So, the breakaway circuit and brake coils are not protected by a fuse or circuit breaker. The "The Last Escape 15A Wiring" schematic, shows the connection to the brakes on the downstream side of the breaker.

After arguing with myself about the benefits of both methods, I need some input from the experts. Should the breakaway circuit be protected by a breaker or fuse? What's normal...or right?

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
The "The Last Escape 15A Wiring" schematic
Where do I find this schematic ?

Thanks
Pat (the guy who found his 15a)
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
So, I've had my head in the 7 pin J-box inside the trailer while working on my solar installation.

Currently the hot lead from the 7 pin connector is connected by a wirenut to the breakaway switch lead , and a jumper from the positive battery lead...that is connected to the ETI installed 30 amp stud mount circuit breaker.

BUT this hot connection to the breakaway circuit is on the battery side of the breaker, not the "protected" side of the breaker. So, the breakaway circuit and brake coils are not protected by a fuse or circuit breaker. The "The Last Escape 15A Wiring" schematic, shows the connection to the brakes on the downstream side of the breaker.

After arguing with myself about the benefits of both methods, I need some input from the experts. Should the breakaway circuit be protected by a breaker or fuse? What's normal...or right?

Glenn
Escape now installs a 40 amp fuse immediately after the battery connection on the 8 ga positive lead which then feeds the distribution panel and the breakaway circuit. Without the fuse, a short of the wiring from the battery to the 30 amp breaker could overheat the wiring and create a fire hazard.

Since the breakaway circuit is a safety device, you want to have a failure of the circuit (fuse blown) to be easily detectable. Since the 40 amp fuse that supplies the circuit also supplies the rest of the trailer, there is a high likelihood the blown fuse would be readily noticed and resolved.

See the attached pic - the inline fuse holder is the one that I am referencing.

Here is a source for the fuse and holder:
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-HHX-...mp+inline+fuse
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-M...Z97M5DYARYXTQ0
Attached Thumbnails
Battery.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
on Casitas, the battery power goes through a 40A self resetting thermal breaker thats kind of hidden. so any unfused short like the breakaway/brake circuit, that breaker would open, and when the short went away, close again. this seems like a good safety compromise, giving the max probability of the emergency breakaway braking engaging when needed...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
on Casitas, the battery power goes through a 40A self resetting thermal breaker thats kind of hidden. so any unfused short like the breakaway/brake circuit, that breaker would open, and when the short went away, close again. this seems like a good safety compromise, giving the max probability of the emergency breakaway braking engaging when needed...
Should work - the power to all the 12v circuits in the trailer would be flashing on and off if the breakaway circuit had a short. That would definitely be noticeable!
Old 10-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

15A schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
Where do I find this schematic ?

Thanks
Pat (the guy who found his 15a)
Here you go! Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - 15A Wiring Diagram

Glenn
Old 10-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Yep. That sounds like the right, and easy solution. All I have to do is move the breakaway lead to the other side of the breaker. Kind of scares me to know I've been driving around like that for 5 years.

Glenn
Old 10-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It may not be obvious to everyone so users should know that, although very well done, this schematic was done by an owner representing his own trailer. This is not from ETI. That said, it seems reasonably accurate. I did notice though that two of the 7 pin functions listed disagree with the picture of the standard RV plug. Brown and green need to be swapped. Explanation here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post145608
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I think it is done different ways on different trailers. Can’t comment as to what is “right”. I do see that Oliver has nice schematics and shows their breakaway unfused.
Attached Thumbnails
EBFFB63D-AEAA-4CDF-A73A-3371D8F9ED9D.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote