Can't get propane to flow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2022, 07:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Can't get propane to flow

I am preparing my trailer for a trip. I cannot get my stove to light or my fridge to run off propane. The regulator shows a red flag when I switch to a tank that I know is full. I assumed that the regulator had gone bad somehow so I replaced it. I'm getting the same result from the new regulator.

A few months ago I replaced both "pigtails" from the propane tanks to the regulator, but I don't remember if I tried it out afterward. Today I noticed that these short hoses seem to have a check valve in them. Is this the problem? If not, what else could be going on here?
Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Casita
There is an overflow protection check valve in the connectors. Turn off both tanks, disconnect the pigtails, then reconnect. Then SLOWLY open one tank, then the other.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The OPD device in the propane tank sticks once in a while. If following the advice from Jerryc in post #2, you still don’t have flow you might have to remove the tank from the tray an thump it down with authority on the ground or on a board. I have had to do this once in a while. I do not drop it onto concrete or asphalt. When Jerry says open the valve slowly, he means crack the valve slightly and turn the valve knob very little at a time till full open. Sometimes you can hear the valve move. It’s hard to hear but sometimes you can. Your other alternative if you have propane in the other tank is to flip you regulator lever to the other tank and use out of it to check your devices that are propane fed. Good luck
Iowa Dave
Old 09-03-2022, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I am preparing my trailer for a trip. I cannot get my stove to light or my fridge to run off propane. The regulator shows a red flag when I switch to a tank that I know is full. I assumed that the regulator had gone bad somehow so I replaced it. I'm getting the same result from the new regulator.

A few months ago I replaced both "pigtails" from the propane tanks to the regulator, but I don't remember if I tried it out afterward. Today I noticed that these short hoses seem to have a check valve in them. Is this the problem? If not, what else could be going on here?
Thanks.
I had a similar intermittent problem during our last trip.
When we got home I could also not get propane flow through regulator.
Initially I found that the check valves in both pig tails would not open, I ended up removing hoses and blowing air through in reverse to unseat check valves.
After that I still had the most full propane tank would not flow propane to turn red flag to green.
What i found is that on that tank i had to hand tighten the hose to tank much tighter than you think you should have to and it works fine now.
I can only assume that valve in that tank is seated slightly lower than the other tank.
Hope this helps.
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We have had that happen several times. Thought it was the tanks but it is really the pigtails causing the problem. Unscrew, then reattach carefully to align things, then turn on the gas again.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks all. I now have propane flowing and the stove will light. Good!

The fridge is still balky but I'll figure it out. I think it senses that this is its Last Trip before I replace it. Heh.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote