Clarification on Electrical System for Newbie - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
But the air conditioner is 120V AC power only (and cannot reasonably be run from the inverter),
Yep, which is why I mentioned it separately.

Quote:
the electric water heater element (is so equipped) is 120V AC power only (with propane as an alternative),
Didn't count that, since it's optional.

Quote:
the microwave (if so equipped) is 120V AC only so can only run on 12V DC power by using the inverter
Again, not mentioned, because it's an AC appliance, and it's optional. Same rules are for any other AC appliance.

Again, there are exceptions, but rather than identify each one, was trying to help them understand how the basic power systems worked. I think once they understand the basics, it's easy from that point to understand the more complex.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
1. Escape comes with 30 amp and the 50 amp adapter and is separate aftermarket purchase. 30 amp will be enough and 50 amp only needed when that is all is available in the campground, which you will typically pay higher site price.
A tidbit of information from the KOA website - RV Electrical 101 - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

"For 50-amp service, however, the potential amount of power used – 12,000 watts, or 50 amps times 240 volts – represents more than three times as much possible demand as 30-amp service."

The reason a 50 Amp to 30 Amp adaptor is a "splitter" is because 50 Amp service is 240 Volts, just like a standard house system in the US.

But don't worry about this in real life. Your adaptor takes care of the voltage difference. This is just FYI info that explains why you are charged more for the 50 Amp campsite.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sisababe, you only use the inverter once in a while by turning it on. No, you cannot run the A/C but you can run a microwave for not long, or other high-draw items.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Sisababe, you only use the inverter once in a while by turning it on. No, you cannot run the A/C but you can run a microwave for not long, or other high-draw items.
Thank you Cathy. I knew that the A/C could not be run and thought the microwave could not be used either. Good to know I can at least heat up water for tea in the microwave using the inverter if needed.
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hot water for tea or coffee comes from a kettle on the propane stove.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Also a good option!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is "camping" and there is "CAMPING".
I am on your side!!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
There is "camping" and there is "CAMPING".
I am on your side!!
Or, take it all the way: hot water from the pot on the campfire. Did that plenty of times in our tent days.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Or, take it all the way: hot water from the pot on the campfire. Did that plenty of times in our tent days.
Water and food....
Good old days!!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
1. Given that, is there a significant advantage to using 12v appliances rather than standard 120v appliances ?
2. If so, what 12v appliances do you use? I’m trying to decide how many plugs I need of each 12v and 120v. I don’t currently have any 12v gadgets and am having a hard time envisioning what I might need or could replace with a 12v to save power.
All your first questions are answered quite well above, but I will address the last two.

The standard equipment built into the trailer only operates on 12V or propane. This will get you out camping and having a great time. 120V equipment is not needed.

However, lots of folks like 120V stuff too. Optional build items include the addition of dual source water heater, microwave and air conditioning. For anyone the first two might be nice to have, but not necessary to having a great camping trip. For those in the deep south, A/C is a much more welcome option.

We really don't ever bring much that requires 120V, and if we do we only use it when hooked to the grid, thus have no need for a built-in converter.

We do carry a small 200W plug-in inverter to operate our TV and my laptop. These too could be operated at 12V with the right TV and the right laptop charger.

We are not adding any 120V outlets, but are getting a total of 3 DC/USB outlets. One at the door, one at the dinette, and one near the head of our bed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #31
Site Team

Watch out when riveting the TV or laptop Jim...lol

Just kidding (dang autocorrect) [emoji23]
Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Watch out when riveting the TV or laptop Jim...lol

Just kidding (dang autocorrect) [emoji23]
We watch some riveting TV.

Darn swipe typing. I fixed it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Another consideration, instead or addition to adding 12 volt outlets just have Escape install the wire. I had several installed off the electrical panel, fetched through the walls, cabinets or refrigerator and then just left. They were laying in the cupboards reading for me to attach my "Truckers 12 Volt Clock" and a second one for a future appliance. You do not always need a 12 volt outlet you just need a 12 volt wire.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #34

Thank you Jim, that's helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
12v appliances... Not much, a box fan to keep the bugs away and a small portable inverter to charge some 120v items like the laptop, camera, handheld vac, and such. But it's rarely used, seems as we travel campgrounds have power more often then not. I did modify the weather radio to work on 12v. If you have the ETI installed inverter there is obviously no need for a portable.

Mostly we use 120v appliances, it's no big deal to us to not use the appliances when we don't. We don't mind using the stove for heating water when needed.

If interested, in non rechargeable 120v appliances, we carry a seldom used TV, a much used microwave, Deb's hairdrier, although it is usually used in the campground bathroom, small heater, and the dehumidifier. New for this next trip is a small crock pot and a small toaster, never got the hang of the stove top toasters.

The only thing I could see changing to 12v is maybe the TV, but we don't use it enough to care. Maybe some of the battery powered items could use a 12v adapter, like the laptop, but really the little inverter works fine.

We have 12 volt outlets under the table, at the door, and outside under the awning. Could use one for the cell booster but I can't figure out where I want it. The cradle is a PITA.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
12v appliances... Not much, a box fan to keep the bugs away and a small portable inverter to charge some 120v items like the laptop, camera, handheld vac, and such. But it's rarely used, seems as we travel campgrounds have power more often then not. I did modify the weather radio to work on 12v. If you have the ETI installed inverter there is obviously no need for a portable.

Mostly we use 120v appliances, it's no big deal to us to not use the appliances when we don't. We don't mind using the stove for heating water when needed.

If interested, in non rechargeable 120v appliances, we carry a seldom used TV, a much used microwave, Deb's hairdrier, although it is usually used in the campground bathroom, small heater, and the dehumidifier. New for this next trip is a small crock pot and a small toaster, never got the hang of the stove top toasters.

The only thing I could see changing to 12v is maybe the TV, but we don't use it enough to care. Maybe some of the battery powered items could use a 12v adapter, like the laptop, but really the little inverter works fine.

We have 12 volt outlets under the table, at the door, and outside under the awning. Could use one for the cell booster but I can't figure out where I want it. The cradle is a PITA.
Thanks so much Bob. Most helpful! What do you use for a cell booster? Are you using WiFi booster as well? I need to start researching both of those if I'm going to get Mr. to join me on the road!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Additional 12 volt outlets

I noticed in 3 posts, folks are adding 12 volt outlets. I am debating how many and where I should have 12 volt outlets. Right now I am only up to 2. One outside for a 12 volt air compressor to pump up the tires and possibly a fan, and one inside to recharge our cell phones at night. Please let me know where you have 12 volt outlets and what they are used for.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I noticed in 3 posts, folks are adding 12 volt outlets. I am debating how many and where I should have 12 volt outlets. Right now I am only up to 2. One outside for a 12 volt air compressor to pump up the tires and possibly a fan, and one inside to recharge our cell phones at night. Please let me know where you have 12 volt outlets and what they are used for.
This may depend on your specific trailer. In my 21' I had 2 tv locations thus 2x12v outlets for the tv, 2 additional outlets under the "U" dinette. there is stock outlet by the night stand. I also had another in the bed o/h and had a 12v run for under the bed lights.
In the 19' the stock outlet is under the front dinette, I added a 12v in the front o/h for tv, another one by the door and a third in the bed area. Nothing outside as my batteries are easily accessible in the front box.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sarah, I have the WeBoost 4G https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4gs the only issue with it is you need to keep your phone in the cradle for it to work. I also have a prepaid Verizon Hotspot that works in it for cell based wifi. You'll need an antenna on the roof which ETI can do for you if you send it to them. You'll have to get the particulars on that from someone else as I did my own.
I do not have a wifi repeater but I've heard good things about the Wifi Ranger.

Richard, have one under the table for the cell booster and charging phones and readers while in use. The default one is just to the right as you enter the 5.0TA and is for the TV. We have a small counter there so it works out well for charging phones and such as it's out of the way. I think the bathroom is in that location on the 21.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #40

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Clarification on Electrical System for Newbie

For me, the 12v outlets are almost more important than the 120's. I particularly like the option to have the combo 12v lighter type socket + two USB charger ports. Between the 12v and the 5V USBs, I charge phones & batteries, run my CPAP (12V), TV, fans, etc. As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many low voltage outlets.

And all are usable when boondocking.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote