Classic 19' exterior shower install - measurement request - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19 / 2011 Nissan Frontier
Classic 19' exterior shower install - measurement request

Greetings,

I want to install exterior showers on the driver and passenger side of our classic 19'. I was hoping someone would take some measurements from the bellyband to the top of the shower box of the (passenger) and bottom of the box (driver). Even better would be some measurements inside the cabinets to the bottom of the box.

Thanks!
bookerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since you are custom installing, you can put it anywhere you have access to interior water lines...
Old 06-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
If you have a 2010 E19 then measurements will be different from 2nd generation body. I have a 2017 and here are a couple of pics. A centre hole with box template allows for shifting before cutting complete hole. Keep in mind great for outside kitchen but shower near box creates wet ground near door. I am contemplating a 2nd one at rear side driver's corner near hot water tank. This keeps out of living area and short water lines for shower.
Attached Thumbnails
E19 Outside Taps.JPG   E19 Taps Outside.JPG  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the picture Chuck, that gives me a good idea of where to put in the passenger box. That's a great idea of having the driver side shower at the back; better than taking up all the closet space.

Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
If you have a 2010 E19 then measurements will be different from 2nd generation body. I have a 2017 and here are a couple of pics. A centre hole with box template allows for shifting before cutting complete hole. Keep in mind great for outside kitchen but shower near box creates wet ground near door. I am contemplating a 2nd one at rear side driver's corner near hot water tank. This keeps out of living area and short water lines for shower.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Couple of other things for installing.
Cut neatly inside insulation/vinyl to size of small push thru box. Don't use jigsaw blade cutting from outside since you'll get a ragged cut. There is a trim ring but nice to have snug to box fit. I have shutoffs on lines that faced to outside wall. This kept the interference of reducing storage cabinet depth to minimum. Use a quality marine caulk like Sika Flex and not silicone. Keep in mind blowing out to winterize in your design.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Booker: We have 2010 19 with a factory shower on driver’s side. Pictures attached. It resides inside the wardrobe and on the exterior it’s just above the belly band. If you look close there are tees to the bath sink but not much room to work. Do you see any piping in your wardrobe?

I also added a spray port (like the stock ones now provided) on the passengers side. I suggest you pipe it in leveraging the lines running to the kitchen sink. Place a table outside and make sure it is high enough to be able to put on a flexible spout if you desire. Ours could have been a little lower to stay out of the graphics but I was attempting to pipe for the best gravity drainage.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post284642

Having one on each side is the best of both worlds IMO. An actual shower on the driver’s side keeps the water and resulting mess out from the protected area under the awning. The spout is convenient outside water source to wash hands or dishes etc. on the passenger side and no mess if caught in a bin.

Plan it out very carefully if you plan to install something low to the rear on the driver’s side. Not much room between the water fill, hot water heater, power cord and side marker light. Working under the bed is a royal PITA!

(FYI you will see aftermarket wiring in the pics that you won’t have. The yellow wire on the driver’s side is to the GFI outlet I added inside my custom recessed medicine cabinet in the bath. The black wire on the passenger side is to a pop up outlet in the kitchen counter that is daisy chained off the GFI-protected outlet by the door.)
Attached Thumbnails
6208CD59-9DDF-4D85-B0B3-7631070273F2.jpeg   45EC6720-3FA1-4544-AA37-5B6E61D4DA6C.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Thank you,

I had read your original post before ordering the shower boxes. I do have the 90's in the wardrobe directed into the bathroom. I went under the bed to see what I had for room for a shower box in the rear driver's side and with the placement of the shore power outlet it's a little too tight to get a shower box in without doing some more serious changes; closet it is.

In your original post you said you used a dremel. I can borrow one but was thinking that an oscillating saw might work well. Any thoughts on that?

Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Booker: We have 2010 19 with a factory shower on driver’s side. Pictures attached. It resides inside the wardrobe and on the exterior it’s just above the belly band. If you look close there are tees to the bath sink but not much room to work. Do you see any piping in your wardrobe?

I also added a spray port (like the stock ones now provided) on the passengers side. I suggest you pipe it in leveraging the lines running to the kitchen sink. Place a table outside and make sure it is high enough to be able to put on a flexible spout if you desire. Ours could have been a little lower to stay out of the graphics but I was attempting to pipe for the best gravity drainage.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post284642

Having one on each side is the best of both worlds IMO. An actual shower on the driver’s side keeps the water and resulting mess out from the protected area under the awning. The spout is convenient outside water source to wash hands or dishes etc. on the passenger side and no mess if caught in a bin.

Plan it out very carefully if you plan to install something low to the rear on the driver’s side. Not much room between the water fill, hot water heater, power cord and side marker light. Working under the bed is a royal PITA!

(FYI you will see aftermarket wiring in the pics that you won’t have. The yellow wire on the driver’s side is to the GFI outlet I added inside my custom recessed medicine cabinet in the bath. The black wire on the passenger side is to a pop up outlet in the kitchen counter that is daisy chained off the GFI-protected outlet by the door.)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I removed the OEM plastic POS shower "box" on the exterior of our 2014 15A shortly after we took ownership of it from the original owners and replaced it with a Bullfinch shower point. Much smaller hole in the fiberglass, single handle mixer, shower hose removes quickly for dust and water free travel, etc.

I just ordered another, sans hose, so we can have shower points on both sides of the 15A. John Guest fittings are available to easily adapt 16mm connections on the Bullfinch to 1/2" PEX...which is what I used.

The Bullfinch is available stateside from AT Trailers: https://atoverland.com/products/fast...67a62d61&_ss=r
Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
I removed the OEM plastic POS shower "box" on the exterior of our 2014 15A shortly after we took ownership of it from the original owners and replaced it with a Bullfinch shower point. Much smaller hole in the fiberglass, single handle mixer, shower hose removes quickly for dust and water free travel, etc.

I just ordered another, sans hose, so we can have shower points on both sides of the 15A. John Guest fittings are available to easily adapt 16mm connections on the Bullfinch to 1/2" PEX...which is what I used.

The Bullfinch is available stateside from AT Trailers: https://atoverland.com/products/fast...67a62d61&_ss=r
Nice. I like that. I'll admit the integrated hose is a pain and creates an opening into the trailer on the older stock showers. Ours has a box with insulation that goes around it in the wardrobe. So if you removed the stock shower box with a much bigger hole how did you furnish the Bullfinch? Any pictures?
Old 06-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #10

^ Our 15A didn't come with a lower rear access hatch. Instead, it came with a broken exterior shower fixture (presumably same type all Escapes come with...). So I removed the OEM shower assembly and replaced it with a Tern Overland 300mmx300mm cargo hatch door; no plastic crapola. Its insulated and double gasketed so zero water/dust intrusion.

I originally had a piece of 1/2" plywood mounted inside the new Tern Overland door that served as the mounting panel for the Bullfinch. But later, I decided I would rather have cargo access...and removed the Bullfinch and relocated it to the general area left of the entry door. It was an easy install...hole saw through the fiberglass etc.

I'll see if I have pics to post showing the various set-ups...
Old 06-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gee. My exterior shower is just fine, after twelve years, and I didn't have to do anything.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior shower.jpg  
Old 06-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
^ Our 15A didn't come with a lower rear access hatch. Instead, it came with a broken exterior shower fixture (presumably same type all Escapes come with...). So I removed the OEM shower assembly and replaced it with a Tern Overland 300mmx300mm cargo hatch door; no plastic crapola. Its insulated and double gasketed so zero water/dust intrusion.

I originally had a piece of 1/2" plywood mounted inside the new Tern Overland door that served as the mounting panel for the Bullfinch. But later, I decided I would rather have cargo access...and removed the Bullfinch and relocated it to the general area left of the entry door. It was an easy install...hole saw through the fiberglass etc.

I'll see if I have pics to post showing the various set-ups...
Ok. So it sounds like your shower was not in what I would consider the typical location like shown on this 2013 15A. The lower rear is tight with hot water heater / water hookup / power inlet. Was yours on the passenger side?
Attached Thumbnails
15A shower.JPG  
Old 06-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #13

Yes, our 2014 15A's shower door/assembly was located very low and to the rear passenger side as shown in this pic of how our 15A came to us.

Amazing how many differences there seem to be between 2013 and 2014 15As!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3688.jpg  
Old 06-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #14

It normally would have been on the driver side. I think being on the passenger side is why it's in an awkward spot.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, our 2014 15A's shower door/assembly was located very low and to the rear passenger side as shown in this pic of how our 15A came to us.

Amazing how many differences there seem to be between 2013 and 2014 15As!
Now it all makes sense. Thanks Dan. Using the word "typical" might be a poor choice of words regarding anything with some of these 1st gen trailers. I think Reace made just about anything reasonable work at the request of customers at that time.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #16

^ Speaking of variations: Not sure about 15' Escapes but some 17' Escapes came with sliding rear window. I would love to have a sliding rear window on our 15A! Ditto the front window: I noticed one Escape 17 with a sliding front window.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #17

I have the sliding front window, which was discontinued by the manufacturer. I believe Reace wouldn't put a sliding window on the rear because the suction when underway would draw in water or dust ( think drafting in racing ).
Attached Thumbnails
Opening front window ext.jpg   Opening front window.jpg  
Old 06-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:
^ Speaking of variations: Not sure about 15' Escapes but some 17' Escapes came with sliding rear window. I would love to have a sliding rear window on our 15A! Ditto the front window: I noticed one Escape 17 with a sliding front window.
Where there's a will there's a way...
www.easyrvwindows.com/rvwindows.html
www.motionwindows.com/
Old 06-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #19

Thanks for pointing me this direction, like the idea of smaller holes and less potential leak area. Ordered some Bullfinches.

Booker

Quote:

Old 06-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Depends on how much money you're willing to spend, but all plastic eventually breaks apart. How about an all stainless steel version, typically used on Airstreams: https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...r-compartment/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote