Cold weather camping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Thanks for the advice! Gonna save my propane, and keep my food in a cooler in the back of my suv.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Grant,
Deadhorse Ranch SP is at 3400 ft elev., while the Grand Canyon is a 6,000 ft +. So, you'll typically have much colder winter temps. there. I would take Dave A's advice and keep your campsite at Cottonwood, all snug and plugged in. Then do the day trip to the Grand Canyon.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
-25 Deg C here this morning. Will be at least another 3 months before I can consider getting ready for camping again.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
-25 Deg C here this morning. Will be at least another 3 months before I can consider getting ready for camping again.
Ouch. Hard freezes are not for me. Several years ago I was in Grand Forks ND when it got down to -49F, and awhile back I was in Fairbanks when it hit -53F. I can usually tolerate down to minus 10F or so, but after that it gets downright painful. It's a cool 45F today here in South Texas. Just right.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In preparation for our winter camping this week, I covered my weakest link, the o/h vent with some reflectix. I'm hoping it will help with the low temperatures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1636.jpg   IMG_1630.jpg   IMG_1632.jpg   IMG_1635.jpg  
Old 12-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In preparation for our winter camping this week, I covered my weakest link, the o/h vent with some reflectix. I'm hoping it will help with the low temperatures.
The issue there is that you will need some air circulation to manage condensation which is significant in these units in below freezing temps.

For the record, we survived one night at -23F two years ago in Vermont (dry camping, of course) . We were warm enough although frost was everywhere on outside windows and walls. Heater ran nearly continuously and the bearings failed later that winter, so I would say the limit is something warmer than that. Probably -10 or so for the 17b and warmer still for larger units or 17's without all the insulation and double pane options.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Cool weather camping is whenever I cannot sit outside comfortably in a T-shirt. Cold weather camping is when my hands get cold without gloves. I don’t find it enjoyable when I would rather be inside the trailer than outside. So for me, what’s the point? Furthermore, I don’t bemoan those times when the weather is not conducive to camping any more than when I lived in New England and couldn’t ski during the summer months. I’m patient, to every season there is a purpose......
I cannot envision willingly spending a night in a camping trailer in sub-freezing temperatures; it is not what I would perceive as fun.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #28

and to us northerners spending every second in air conditioning during the hot months is just as uncomfortable. As Donna always says "YMMV"....
Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I guess one of the challenges is when you head to a location that is supposed to be warm, but isn’t. I’m heading for Florida in a few days. The first night’s expected low is 24! My buddy refuses to camp without a campfire, so I will be bundled up sitting very close to the fire until I can make the excuse that I’m tired and retire to the warm Escape.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Pretty cold outside the 21 today -36.Fishing was fair yesterday.Weather radio says it has an extreme cold warning.Propane 3 days for 20lbs,waste[human[is into 1 of those military waste bags.This cold weather camping to me.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I guess one of the challenges is when you head to a location that is supposed to be warm, but isn’t. I’m heading for Florida in a few days. The first night’s expected low is 24! My buddy refuses to camp without a campfire, so I will be bundled up sitting very close to the fire until I can make the excuse that I’m tired and retire to the warm Escape.
We have lots of bonfires where the temperature dips below freezing. Lots of wood, and a cup of Scotch adds to the merriment. One key thing to do is to put a warm blanket on your chair, which helps insulate you from the backside, while the fire generates warmth to keep your frontside toasty. Buttoning up your jacket is a mistake, as it is better to open up in the front to allow the radiant heat from the fire to heat you up nice.

Heck, in the past I have done lots of winter backcountry ski trips. A fire is a very welcome friend there, especially seeing the nights are so long.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
and to us northerners spending every second in air conditioning during the hot months is just as uncomfortable. As donna always says "ymmv"....
☺��������☺

We had 18 below zero with 30 below wind chills this morning .
It is now 12 below zero with sunny skies. Still better then a day trapped in air conditioning. Time to put another log in the wood stove and enjoy the season .
Grandkids are coming to visit this coming weekend , and even though temps are predicted to be in the 20 below range , we plan on taking walks in the woods , having a campfire and doing a little ice fishing. We plan on enjoying winter , for all too soon it will be gone.

** I will admit we have A/C in our trailer but we do not have A/C in our home. Sometimes we travel to Iowa and then you need A/C **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
and to us northerners spending every second in air conditioning during the hot months is just as uncomfortable. As Donna always says "YMMV"....
Jim, I never said I like scorching hot camping either, and I personally don’t like the artificial environment of A/C. My mileage does not vary, it stays very steady between 65° and 80°, low humidity. I specifically addressed cold weather because that is the title of this thread.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My mileage does not vary, it stays very steady between 65° and 80°, low humidity.
My comfort zone is around 10-25°C (50-77°F), and if I had to go outside that range, it would be to the cooler side. Colder is no problem, as I can easily add a layer of clothes. I can handle hotter, but much prefer doing so with a cocktail in hand while laying on a beach.

And yes, a low humidity is always preferred, which we do have here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #35

Yes, it was the humidity, not necessarily the temperature I remember as being unbearable down there in the south. We look forward to the cold weather and low humidity. We found Osoyoos to be comfortable in May and Strugis, SD in August with 90 degree days but 30% humidity was bearable. Out west the nights will cool down. But once you enter Georgia going south, you become a sponge, so to speak with 90% humidity and no relief at night.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Heat

I had a Commissioner who was originally from South Carolina. I vacationed there for a
week in August. When I came back to work he asked me if it was hot down there. It had been about 90F and 90 % humidity. He said they called it blanket heat. “Once you get under it, there’s no getting away”. I had to agree.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The humidity level in Florida has been the reason that many Midwesterners now Winter over in Arizona .
Ten years ago Florida or Texas was the go to spot but not anymore.
There is so much to see and do in Arizona plus the warm days and cool nights only make it more attractive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Humidity combined with heat is no fun, I grant you that. But once the temperatures drop below 65-70F or so, the humidity isn't really a factor. Here in South Texas it stays at or below that on average for many months. Florida is far more humid than most of Texas, being surrounded by water and at a very low elevation. Except for areas east of the "dry line", most of Texas has reasonably low humidity for most of the year. The Rio Grande valley still grows dramatically in population during each winter, mainly with snowbirds from the north. With daytime highs averaging in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 40s to 50s, it's not hard to see why.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #39

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The humidity level in Florida has been the reason that many Midwesterners now Winter over in Arizona .
Ten years ago Florida or Texas was the go to spot but not anymore.
There is so much to see and do in Arizona plus the warm days and cool nights only make it more attractive.
Arizona may have low humidity but it can get quite hot from late spring through early fall. I seem to remember being in Quartzite in June one year and it was around 115F. We went to look at some items a shop had for sale outside and he gave us some rags when we walked up. I'm looking at the rags and he said, it's to pick items up with. It might be a dry heat but sticking ones head in an oven is still hot.

I grew up down here without air and I do not seem to remember suffering. From late June to mid October we have heat in the high 80s low 90's with high humidity. I worked outside in that for years and survived it. Late fall through spring though is very nice.
Just like Arizona the heat declines and it becomes comfortable.
Today here it's 76 degrees out humidity 68% feels like 76F. Tomorrow 69F, the next day 74F. Hottest it's been this month 81F.

Some people are never happy and always see the ugly side of everything. If they died and went to heaven shortly after they would be posting that it is not to their liking and listing what is wrong with it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Arizona may have low humidity but it can get quite hot from late spring through early fall. I seem to remember being in Quartzite in June one year and it was around 115F. We went to look at some items a shop had for sale outside and he gave us some rags when we walked up. I'm looking at the rags and he said, it's to pick items up with. It might be a dry heat but sticking ones head in an oven is still hot.

I grew up down here without air and I do not seem to remember suffering. From late June to mid October we have heat in the high 80s low 90's with high humidity. I worked outside in that for years and survived it. Late fall through spring though is very nice.
Just like Arizona the heat declines and it becomes comfortable.
Today here it's 76 degrees out humidity 68% feels like 76F. Tomorrow 69F, the next day 74F. Hottest it's been this month 81F.

Some people are never happy and always see the ugly side of everything. If they died and went to heaven shortly after they would be posting that it is not to their liking and listing what is wrong with it.
I have a joke about getting in but it’s a little lengthy so I only tell it at rallies where people can’t get away.