Coleman Mach 10 NDQ - Installation Error - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
And you can see from rear grill through to out the front grill?

I guess I’m not getting where you took that picture from. I haven’t disassembled mine, I can just see that the duct sticks all the way down from the ceiling to the grill.

Edit: mine doesn’t really blow any air out the front. Ever. So, I was thinking that maybe ours has this installation error…
Remove the air filters and you can get a pretty good look. That’s also what’s needed to remove the cover, to get to the 4 screws. Be careful with the air filter cover, it is beyond tricky.
Reach in and play with the front air flow lever while it’s running, see if that helps your troubleshooting.

But there are different Mach 10 models, this is how the one I have is set up and I'm happy with its performance.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
This what my model looks like, everything is working well.

Yeah, that's interesting. Mine was exactly like the one in the video, but it looks like yours has some sort of metal flange around the opening.

If you have a minute, would you mind sharing a picture of what the cover on yours looks like when it's installed?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
And you can see from rear grill through to out the front grill?

I guess I’m not getting where you took that picture from. I haven’t disassembled mine, I can just see that the duct sticks all the way down from the ceiling to the grill.

Edit: mine doesn’t really blow any air out the front. Ever. So, I was thinking that maybe ours has this installation error…

Yeah, mine didn't blow any air out one end, and very little out the other. (can't remember whether it was the front or back end with no flow). Once I trimmed the duct, I got good airflow out the front and back.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Remove the air filters and you can get a pretty good look. That’s also what’s needed to remove the cover, to get to the 4 screws. Be careful with the air filter cover, it is beyond tricky.
Reach in and play with the front air flow lever while it’s running, see if that helps your troubleshooting.

But there are different Mach 10 models, this is how the one I have is set up and I'm happy with its performance.
Ah, the air filters are on the intake side of the ducting ( or baffling, whatever ). Hugh trimmed the excess off the exhaust side. I see excess on the exhaust side of ours. I’ll remove the filters and get a better look over the weekend.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #45

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Yeah, that's interesting. Mine was exactly like the one in the video, but it looks like yours has some sort of metal flange around the opening.

If you have a minute, would you mind sharing a picture of what the cover on yours looks like when it's installed?
This is it-
Attached Thumbnails
0F8A5B36-FACE-4DDD-B36D-CB308933E876.jpg   2592ECCE-6596-4FEC-AE23-3D5408FA5A72.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:07 AM   #46

Quote:
This is it-
Great, thanks for the pics. I went back and took some more pics of mine, and it actually looks the same as yours. (I remembered it differently )

Here's a pic of what mine looks like after trimming, with the bottom cover installed and removed.
Attached Thumbnails
cover_off.jpg   cover_on.jpg  
Old 01-28-2023, 08:52 PM   #47

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Link to the video starting at the point a couple of seconds before he starts the trimming process.

https://youtu.be/h3vscvx492A?t=331

Charles
Old 10-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #48

Trailer: 2022 21C
Hugh,
I had the same issue on my 2022 21C. Your post led me directly to the problem and I had it fixed in 10 minutes. Thanks for making this post and the details you included!!
Pairofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
I too had the same problem. Fixed now with more air blowing out the end. Thanks Hugh!!
Old 10-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #50

Great! I'm glad to hear the post helped you both!
Old 10-20-2023, 05:24 PM   #51

Ours was installed with the sleeve left intact (21C - Feb '22), directing all flow to the circular vents. I did cut it down and there is significantly better airflow from the front and rear, and it's quieter now. But, I now wonder if it's causing issues with maintaining a correct temperature. With so much air now moving around at roof level, the temperature sensor in the unit seems to reach the shutoff point more quickly. Not a huge issue as I can adjust to comfort and ignore the numbers. That being said, I was also questioning why Coleman put a sleeve in there in the first place if you're just supposed to cut it off. I'm now wondering if you should only cut it off if you have a wall-mounted thermostat as how and where the air flows is less important in that situation. If you have the temperature sensor in the unit itself, then perhaps you should leave the sleeve on. The heat strip option is likely best suited to the wall-mounted thermostat. I'm not an HVAC person, engineer or any kind of scientist at all so these are just things that make me go 'Hmmm...' I still like it better with the sleeve removed and the heat strip seems to work OK. Hopefully someone who knows about RV HVAC can chime in at some point.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
Ours was installed with the sleeve left intact (21C - Feb '22), directing all flow to the circular vents. I did cut it down and there is significantly better airflow from the front and rear, and it's quieter now. But, I now wonder if it's causing issues with maintaining a correct temperature. With so much air now moving around at roof level, the temperature sensor in the unit seems to reach the shutoff point more quickly. Not a huge issue as I can adjust to comfort and ignore the numbers. That being said, I was also questioning why Coleman put a sleeve in there in the first place if you're just supposed to cut it off. I'm now wondering if you should only cut it off if you have a wall-mounted thermostat as how and where the air flows is less important in that situation. If you have the temperature sensor in the unit itself, then perhaps you should leave the sleeve on. The heat strip option is likely best suited to the wall-mounted thermostat. I'm not an HVAC person, engineer or any kind of scientist at all so these are just things that make me go 'Hmmm...' I still like it better with the sleeve removed and the heat strip seems to work OK. Hopefully someone who knows about RV HVAC can chime in at some point.
Coleman made it a sleeve as the thickness of the roof varies a lot between different RV models / types. There's no way to make a fixed length sleeve for a variable length installation.

Having the sleeve "trimmed" during installation is the way the system was designed. Not trimming it puts unnecessary wear and tear on the compressor due to inadequate airflow and, at least in my case, triggered the overheat protection on the heating coil.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #53

Thank you. That makes sense.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote