Coleman Mach 10 NDQ - Installation Error - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2023 E19
I researched both AC options as thoroughly as I could prior to selecting the Coleman for my E19 build.

The two units seems to be comparable from a reliability perspective (perhaps with a slight nod towards the Coleman). I don't think either are 100% bulletproof, but I don't think they are doomed to instantly fail. Both also seem to have similar parts/service availability (at least in my area). For the amount I would use it, I really didn't want to explore more exotic alternatives such as Houghton units or mini-splits, etc.

I went with the Mach 10 NDQ because it is objectively quieter than the Dometic by a significant margin. That was worth the price difference to me.

One nice bonus with the Coleman option is that the trailer is supplied with a simple mechanical Dometic thermostat to control the furnace rather than electronic "soft touch" version that manages both the AC and heating...which has a problematic reputation.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
thanks so much
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Some people hate the old, simple, mechanical furnace thermostat, but I have had them for years and they work. One of the reasons I got the Coleman was to avoid the digital thermostat and it’s issues after reading this forum.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Some people hate the old, simple, mechanical furnace thermostat, but I have had them for years and they work. One of the reasons I got the Coleman was to avoid the digital thermostat and it’s issues after reading this forum.
Totally agree, hvac can be a pain at times.
I stopped using the others long ago, at my house and other places-KISS
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Ironically, I replaced the mechanical thermostat with a digital one. Right now, it only controls the furnace, but the Mach 10 supports standard thermostat hookups, so I may connect that as well. (I'd have to fish some themostat wire from the AC to the thermostat to make that work)
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
For the amount I would use it, I really didn't want to explore more exotic alternatives such as Houghton units or mini-splits, etc.

I went with the Mach 10 NDQ because it is objectively quieter than the Dometic by a significant margin. That was worth the price difference to me.
Some might consider my mini-split a little exotic but I wouldn’t categorize the Houghton as such. They are a bolt-on solution in the standard 14x14 hole and much quieter than the Dometic and Coleman. Comes with a remote for control. Many successful installs on the forum. The Houghton is really a game changer in the RV market IMO. Personally I think the best bet if someone wants the quietest rooftop unit that is also reliable is to order without A/C from the factory and have a Houghton installed or if handy DIY.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:01 AM   #27

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Some might consider my mini-split a little exotic but I wouldn’t categorize the Houghton as such. They are a bolt-on solution in the standard 14x14 hole and much quieter than the Dometic and Coleman. Comes with a remote for control. Many successful installs on the forum. The Houghton is really a game changer in the RV market IMO. Personally I think the best bet if someone wants the quietest rooftop unit that is also reliable is to order without A/C from the factory and have a Houghton installed or if handy DIY.
I agree that the Houghton is VERY quiet. The ambassador
who twisted my arm to buy our Escape had one and it is unbelievably quiet.

We ended up going with the Coleman Mach 10 really because of the convenience of having it installed by Escape during the build. Our Coleman Mach 10 sound level falls between the Houghton and a "normal" RV AC.

If I had not heard the Houghton I would have thought the Mach 10 was the quietest unit out there. We are happy with our choice but the Houghton is whisper quiet.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
The Houghton is the quietest, but the H9500 and the Mach on low, are not much different in noise or output, and I’ve never needed the Mach on high.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
The Houghton is the quietest, but the H9500 and the Mach on low, are not much different in noise or output, and I’ve never needed the Mach on high.
Yes, pretty close on low with a bigger spread on high. Both are much quieter than the Dometic!
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post399781
Old 01-20-2023, 11:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 tent
Hi,You are not alone. I picked up a 21ne in Jan of 2022, i had the same issue, with the heat strip cutting out. A complaint to escape was of little help other than to put me in touch with Coleman / Airxcel. I must say that the service from Airxcel over the phone was excellent! In a quick discussion the technician figured that the airflow was restricted and recomended that i pull the cover and check to see that the flexible fabric duct was trimmed. It wasn,t , an easy trim with a razor blade and the heat strip has worked fine since. I also found that the unit was much quieter on high fan after the duct was trimmed. Thanks for the post, I am sure there are a few others out there from the similar time period. I did mention the result to escape, in may of 2022 Hope they got it sorted out on the assembly process.
Yellowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpoint View Post
Hi,You are not alone. I picked up a 21ne in Jan of 2022, i had the same issue, with the heat strip cutting out. A complaint to escape was of little help other than to put me in touch with Coleman / Airxcel. I must say that the service from Airxcel over the phone was excellent! In a quick discussion the technician figured that the airflow was restricted and recomended that i pull the cover and check to see that the flexible fabric duct was trimmed. It wasn,t , an easy trim with a razor blade and the heat strip has worked fine since. I also found that the unit was much quieter on high fan after the duct was trimmed. Thanks for the post, I am sure there are a few others out there from the similar time period. I did mention the result to escape, in may of 2022 Hope they got it sorted out on the assembly process.

That's a bit disappointing that you mentioned it to them in May, but they were still shipping units with bad installs in June/July. Once I figured out the issue, I mentioned it to them as well. Hopefully this time, they'll address the issue.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:44 AM   #32

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our 21C delivered on 10/24/22 with the Coleman Mach 10 was installed and trimmed properly.

I'm pretty sure the heat strip is only something like 5000 BTU? Very low.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #33

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We’ll run both the Coleman heat and the furnace heat at the same time to bring the trailer up to temperature, then switch off the furnace.

I’ll have to check to see if I can see through the Coleman.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #34

Looks like we have the same problem. No wonder the heat has a six degree dead band.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2947BFCA-C7B0-4FB0-97BE-5A051FD2E7C0.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	66709
Old 01-22-2023, 09:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Looks like we have the same problem. No wonder the heat has a six degree dead band.

Attachment 66709
Yeah, looks like it. I'm surprised your electric heat is able to heat your trailer. Mine would only run for a couple of minutes before triggering the over temperature protection. Maybe there's enough of a gap around the fabric in yours.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #36

I’m going to file the middle clip piece down on mine, I don’t care for the way it snaps out.
Attached Thumbnails
4C1C6E3D-B197-45C7-896A-C5D468BFD067.jpg  
Old 01-23-2023, 05:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Just a heads up... I ordered my 2022 21C with the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ, but was having problems with the heat strip turning off after a couple of minutes, and not restarting until the unit was power cycled.
It turns out that Escape had incorrectly installed the AC unit. The install kit includes a flexible duct that is supposed to be trimmed flush with the ceiling assembly during installation. In mine, they didn't trim the duct, so (unknown to me) almost all the airflow was being forced through the two small round ducts in the bottom of the ceiling assembly. This restricted airflow enough to cause the heating strip to overheat. I'm guessing it didn't do wonders for the AC performance either, when I was running it during the summer.
I wanted to look inside and see if I needed to do anything with mine, even tho mine blows out good and warms and cools just fine. I figure it always best to verify and get to know your equipment.
On mine that part he trimmed off in the video would’ve been too much off, maybe we have a bit different model number. Turns out I need mine to not be flush, leaving a bit of a lip to reach the cover plate.
Attached Thumbnails
C2E53F4A-6D73-4730-945C-DDE27715C0CC.jpg  
Old 01-23-2023, 08:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I wanted to look inside and see if I needed to do anything with mine, even tho mine blows out good and warms and cools just fine. I figure it always best to verify and get to know your equipment.
On mine that part he trimmed off in the video would’ve been too much off, maybe we have a bit different model number. Turns out I need mine to not be flush, leaving a bit of a lip to reach the cover plate.
Do you have any pictures of how yours is?
Old 01-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Do you have any pictures of how yours is?
This what my model looks like, everything is working well.
Attached Thumbnails
C05D0AE5-389E-4E62-B959-BD49622F3777.jpg  
Old 01-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
This what my model looks like, everything is working well.
And you can see from rear grill through to out the front grill?

I guess I’m not getting where you took that picture from. I haven’t disassembled mine, I can just see that the duct sticks all the way down from the ceiling to the grill.

Edit: mine doesn’t really blow any air out the front. Ever. So, I was thinking that maybe ours has this installation error…