Composting toilet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft, birthing date September 3, 2014
Composting toilet

I looked and could not find anything on them, but has anyone put in a composting toilet? It would eliminate the need for a black tank and you could have a much bigger grey tank or fresh water tank. I'm still reading about them but the couple that blogs "Gone with the Wynn's" put one in their small class A and seem to love the fact that they no longer have to deal with the black tank. They say they can dry camp longer and have less smell issues. I might have to ask about it when it comes time to order.

Taryn
Nilotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I seem to recall that the composting toilet needs power, so it isn't really suitable for an RV that isn't constantly plugged in.
Emptying the black tank isn't really a big deal. After all, you will have to empty your grey tank. You attach the septic hose to the outlet, run it into the sani-dump, open the black tank valve, close it when done, open the grey tank valve ( which helps flush the septic hose ), close it and rinse the septic hose with fresh water.
So, if you eliminate the black tank, you're only saving one step and maybe three minutes of your time.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, smell is not an issue. You add about 4 oz. of Thetford deodorizer ( or some other brand ) after you dump.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #4

Trailer: sold 1980 Boler 13' dreaming of Escape 15
The "Wynn's" were at our local RV show at the Abbotsford Tradex, near Vancouver BC this past weekend. They are a fun couple and put on an entertaining lecture on boondocking tips. Here is a link to their site showing what it is, and the second link shows how not to install it.

Jim

Composting Toilet: What is it and Why you need one | Gone With The Wynns

How To Not Install a Composting Toilet in an RV | Gone With The Wynns
mitsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a topic that pops up on FiberglassRV occasionally. My rememberer says they're big, heavy and expensive. I agree with the comments above. No biggy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft, birthing date September 3, 2014
Yep their video is what got me thinking about it and then my husband saying that he is not doing that chore. The only time he has taken care of the littler boxes is after I have had surgery and just couldn't do it, so I guess this will be my job too. Oh well I don't take out the trash or change tires. So we all have our jobs,
Nilotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Looks like this about the height of a floor mounted toilet. Ours sit on a raised platform to accomodate the tank, so I think it might be a problem to retro fit it.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've mentioned this before... but I don't find dumping a black tank to be all that nasty. Nasty was changing a toddler's diaper when there was a blow out! At least when dumping the black tank, I can wear gloves, pull the handle and walk away for a few minutes. Can't do that with a child

I'm not saying I look forward to it, but it's only done every couple of days.. or whatever. I've handled/smelled FAR worse! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've mentioned this before... but I don't find dumping a black tank to be all that nasty. Nasty was changing a toddler's diaper when there was a blow out! At least when dumping the black tank, I can wear gloves, pull the handle and walk away for a few minutes. Can't do that with a child

I'm not saying I look forward to it, but it's only done every couple of days.. or whatever. I've handled/smelled FAR worse! YMMV
We don't either, but it turns out 2010 19's have a 12 gallon black tank, and we were looking for a range extending solution. Reace says retro fitting a larger tank is prohibitively difficult.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote