Connecting Outside Camp Stove to Quick Connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Connecting Outside Camp Stove to Quick Connect

Hello
I want to be able to use a cookstove outside of our Escape 19 and connect (Approx.) a 10 ft. propane hose to the quick connect for use on a nearby table.
I imagine many folks have done this and I have looked through past posts but still need some guidance.

1) Is there a camp stove that people really like that will work in this configuration?
- We don’t need anything fancy but inclement weather and wind shields are important.

2) If so, what stove is it and how did you make that connection work?
- I understand that whatever stove we get, we’ll need to remove the stove’s regulator.
- When you did this, what were the parts and connections that you used, or did you take it to a local RV repair site or propane business to get it done?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Tom Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Camper View Post
Hello
I want to be able to use a cookstove outside of our Escape 19 and connect (Approx.) a 10 ft. propane hose to the quick connect for use on a nearby table.
I imagine many folks have done this and I have looked through past posts but still need some guidance.

1) Is there a camp stove that people really like that will work in this configuration?
- We don’t need anything fancy but inclement weather and wind shields are important.

- I understand that whatever stove we get, we’ll need to remove the stove’s regulator.
- When you did this, what were the parts and connections that you used, or did you take it to a local RV repair site or propane business to get it done?

I have a camp chef explorer that I use and like, kind of large but it does fit through my outside hatch and does not have a built in regulator. I like it but i am beginning to wonder if it may reduce overall efficiency of other items running on propane while I am using it (like my fridge). My camp chef is all stainless steel and very hard to find but worth it in my opinion. I added a windguard that helps but is not a perfect cure, luckily with a long hose it is just a matter of relocating the cooker to avoid the wind.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Thanks for the idea! I'll look at the Camp Chef!
Tom Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A lot of the owners, myself included have purchased the "Blackstone Griddle" for outside cooking.....
Old 10-12-2022, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Me too.. love the Blackstone set up
Old 10-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #6

Now I'm itching to fire it up one last time, some bacon for the grease and then some scrapple cooked in bacon grease, the flavor is unforgettable.......
Old 10-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our neighbors gave us this old Weber portable. I removed the regulator and attached the 10’ hose that came with the Escape and it works awesome.

My friend has a 2020 19 and he did the same thing with a Camp Chef stove. Removed the regulator and attached the hose. He had to adjust the air fuel mixture on the stove. Instructions were in the Camp Chef manual.
Attached Thumbnails
F74648A7-76F9-4CB8-BDF1-0B6A9B658F3D.jpg   E5E818C0-2A59-42D8-BF68-4EE820F5CFC9.jpg   8A0FBCDE-4CB2-4175-AA39-FC9A0CA6848B.jpg  
Old 10-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #8

I use an accessory griddle on my camp chef explorer regularly and like the fact that it can be either a burner or a griddle.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #9

Simple griddle accessory that works well
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20221012-170008.jpg  
Old 10-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21c
Quik connect stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Camper View Post
Hello

I am a big fan of Camp Chef stoves. I have the Two burner model . I bought the Quik connect connection for the stove on Amazon for less than10 bucks, easy to install.
Then I bought 20’ Quik connect hose from Amazon. Has the proper connections on both ends. I also bought the Quik connect for my Kuma propane fire pit. The 20’ hose was pretty cheap to like 20 bucks and works great on both. Save the hoses with regulator from your stove and adapt it as well then you can use the stove with a propane bottle also.. The camp chef has a lot of accessories also. I have the BBQ box,
Flat top griddle(awesome for smash burgers) and the most awesome pizza outdoor oven which you can use for baking anything you would in an oven.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I know at least a half dozen people, including me, who have the Camp Chef Ranger II Stove.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camp+chef...f=nb_sb_noss_1

It is one of the nicest outdoor stoves I have used. It cooks and simmers great, has adjustable air inlets that make it easy to adjust for altitude (sea level vs in the mountains), and is relatively small and light. If you buy a plastic/rubber container that just fits the stove, it will stow inside the back hatch on the 19 and you can turn the container over top of the stove when not in use to keep it out of the weather without putting it away. I have seen and used a Blackstone Griddle and it is great for grilling but you can just use a frying pan or griddle on the stove if that's what you want, and the stove still works good for boiling water for coffee/tea, cooking soup/chili..etc.. We almost never cook inside. If you are wanting a stove to cook on outside it is the way to go. If you only want to grill, maybe not. Note that we use a splitter on the propane outlet at the trailer and can run both the stove and a Magma BBQ that fits inside the trailer under the from LH bench.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
First camping trip with my 17 inch Blackstone, love it!
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:44 AM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We have been using our Napoleon TravelQ 285 on our patio quite a bit for the past 2 months. We run it on a 20 Lb cylinder. The flame is not very tall even on high but it will get quite hot.

Recently I had an issue where the unit would not light. I thought I had no propane but I found the line running between the tank and the grill was fouled and I needed to purge the line. I found this helpful video on Google and fixed my grill.

The condition was caused by leaving the grill connected to the tank for a few days without turning off the propane and then letting the grill continue to run to burn off the remaining propane in the line.

After fixing this I was telling a few friends and they basically laughed at me and said "Of course, you have to turn off the propane when you're done cooking".

Maybe this is the condition you are experiencing.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
First camping trip with my 17 inch Blackstone, love it!
My Blackstone, now 6 years old, is beginning to show wear, may have to replace with new one.....
Old 10-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We purchased our 5.0 in 2018. We quickly found out that over 50% of the places we camped had the picnic table more than 20' from our camper (YMMV), so we bought a 13# LP tank for our two burner camping stove. We also found out that if the handle is not fully closed ours will leak gas.

I doubt it takes any more time to deploy the LP tank than it does the hose, and we use that portable LP tank to fill our Flame King refillable cylinders and a couple of times for our friend's cooktop.

It's nice though that many here love the quick connect, but for some it just sits there. We're all different.

Enjoy,

Perry