Controller Bypass Samlex Solar Panel Kit 90 Watts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21 NE, past: Escape 19 (2021)
Controller Bypass Samlex Solar Panel Kit 90 Watts

Hi, we have a 19’ on order with a roof solar panel and Zamp Port. We also have a Samlex Solar Panel kit (90W) - MSK-90 that I would like to hook up, but because this portable unit comes with a controller, it is not recommended to connect to the Zamp Port (as the trailer already has a controller). I understand it is possible to bypass the controller on the Samlex (located on the back of the panel) and then connect to the Zamp Port.

I was hoping that someone out there with the same portable unit that has done this already could share how one bypasses the Samlex controller such that you are only using the controller on the trailer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
RMarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
just remove the controller from the portable kit, and wire the panel directly to the Zamp plug.

do be sure both the roof panel and the portable are the same general voltage range.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Thank you John, simple answer to a simple problem. I’ll give it a shot.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Team

just be absolutely sure to ge tthe polarity correct on the SAE plug that goes into the ZAMP port. use a voltmeter set for DC volts, and make sure that the 'pin' on the cable is the same polarity as the 'socket' on the zamp port when both panels are in the sun.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #5

I just got a reply from the Samlex support. They actually don’t recommend bypassing the controller. Their solution was to just connect the portable system directly to the batteries. Specifically they said:

“You can attach the MSK-90 directly to the battery bank you are charging. It is acceptable to have multiple charging sources on a single battery bank as long as you are not pushing more current into the bank than it can handle. With a total of 190+90=280 Watts the total current will be less than 20 ADC so you will be fine even if you only have a smallish single battery.”

Seems like a simple solution. Any downside to this approach?
Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarkH View Post
I just got a reply from the Samlex support. They actually don’t recommend bypassing the controller. Their solution was to just connect the portable system directly to the batteries. Specifically they said:

“You can attach the MSK-90 directly to the battery bank you are charging. It is acceptable to have multiple charging sources on a single battery bank as long as you are not pushing more current into the bank than it can handle. With a total of 190+90=280 Watts the total current will be less than 20 ADC so you will be fine even if you only have a smallish single battery.”

Our 170 watt panel is hooked to the GoPower controller that's connected to the battery, like your 190 watt panel will be connected to your GoPower controller. I purchased a Renogy 100 watt portable that is connected to a Victron 100/20 controller that is also connected to the battery. No problems for us and if you follow their lead, not problem for you.

The second controller gives us redundancy if either controller craps out.

I did wrap black tape on the red Zamp wire and red tape on the black wire of the Zamp wire, because Zamp wires their port vice/versa. I also used a volt meter to make sure the polarity was correct before hooking to the Victron controller.

You'll be fine.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarkH View Post

then I'd probably find the wiring from the Zamp port where it terminates inside the trailer, and if its connected to the trailer's solar controller SOLAR INPUT side, disconnect it, and move it to the battery side....

now you can plug your samlex's controller into that Zamp port and it will be directly charging the batteries, in paralle with the rooftop controller.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #8

Thanks, that is brilliant!
Old 12-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
then I'd probably find the wiring from the Zamp port where it terminates inside the trailer, and if its connected to the trailer's solar controller SOLAR INPUT side, disconnect it, and move it to the battery side....

now you can plug your samlex's controller into that Zamp port and it will be directly charging the batteries, in parallel with the rooftop controller.
At that rate with rewiring why mess with the Zamp port at all? The MSK-90 appears to come with a 16’ extension with Anderson connectors. Couldn’t one just buy an adapter and use the 7 pin umbilical charge line? This would be just as convenient as the port and still have the two controllers in parallel.
https://gpelectric.com/products/7-pin-trailer-adapter/
Old 12-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
At that rate with rewiring why mess with the Zamp port at all? The MSK-90 appears to come with a 16’ extension with Anderson connectors. Couldn’t one just buy an adapter and use the 7 pin umbilical charge line? This would be just as convenient as the port and still have the two controllers in parallel.
I was hoping we'd get some input / opinions on this from you guys. Does anyone have anything to say about this?
Old 12-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Site Team

depends on where the battery and existing solar controller is. mine are under the rear dinette, so there's no easy way to get outside wiring to them, short of cutting a hole in the shell and installing some sort of custom connector.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In my case with the 21C, the under the seat batteries are difficult to make a direct connection. Escape wired the ZAMP (SAE) connector to the GoPower controller.

Since my portable panel has a built in controller, I added a pair of connectors between the panel output & the panel's controller. If I want to use it with the trailer's GoPower controller, I unplug the panel from the controller & connect it (through a cable) to the trailer's ZAMP connector. If I want to lend it to someone or use it to charge the tow vehicle battery I plug the panel into the panel's controller & use the output of the controller to connect directly to the battery.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
depends on where the battery and existing solar controller is. mine are under the rear dinette, so there's no easy way to get outside wiring to them, short of cutting a hole in the shell and installing some sort of custom connector.
Thanks John. I don't have nor intend in the near future to use a portable solar panel, but when I saw this I thought Dave was asking if this would work with a portable panel rather than installing a Zamp port (portable solar charging battery through the 7 pin). That would be a simple solution for using a portable panel. Am I just misunderstanding the question?
Old 12-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #14

Basically what is the downside or issue of just using a 7 pin adapter like this to leverage the existing charge line to charge the battery with solar?
Old 12-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Basically what is the downside or issue of just using a 7 pin adapter like this to leverage the existing charge line to charge the battery with solar?
The only downside to using the 7-pin and a solar panel to charge the batteries is the voltage drop due to the size and length of the wire involved. It still charges the batteries!
Old 12-30-2020, 12:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
My 180 watt portable solar setup is based on using the 7 pin to connect to the batteries. Since I have a 19 with the batteries in the front and half of that wire run replaced with heavier cable...I don’t have a problem using what is in the connector cable.

My setup can also be used to charge our cargo camper that gets borrowed by our daughter that we camp with and also my brother in laws trailer.

With many of these off the shelf portable units not exceeding 5 to 8 amps and if you use an adjustable solar controller at the 7 pin connector, you should be able to fine to tune the controller to make up for any voltage drop for rear mounted batteries. After all, most people don’t think twice about how their vehicle charges the batteries in the rear.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The only downside to using the 7-pin and a solar panel to charge the batteries is the voltage drop due to the size and length of the wire involved. It still charges the batteries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
My 180 watt portable solar setup is based on using the 7 pin to connect to the batteries. Since I have a 19 with the batteries in the front and half of that wire run replaced with heavier cable...I don’t have a problem using what is in the connector cable.

My setup can also be used to charge our cargo camper that gets borrowed by our daughter that we camp with and also my brother in laws trailer.

With many of these off the shelf portable units not exceeding 5 to 8 amps and if you use an adjustable solar controller at the 7 pin connector, you should be able to fine to tune the controller to make up for any voltage drop for rear mounted batteries. After all, most people don’t think twice about how their vehicle charges the batteries in the rear.
I understand that you want to minimize small gauge wire downstream of the solar controller which in this case would be quite far from the trailer if mounted on the panel. My concern would be with the long extension that would likely be used with these. I see the Samlex comes standard with a 16’ lead and you can buy an additional 33’. It conveniently doesn’t mention the gauge.
https://www.samlexamerica.com/produc...l.aspx?pid=537

Ed: If you have the controller on your panel with your portable setup what gauge wire are you using for your main extension from panel to 7-pin?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My controller is in a box that plugs directly into the 7 pin. This way I can set the output of the controller to deal with a non variable length of wire from the 7 pin to the batteries. In my case this works out to be less than 10 feet.

This allows me to use various lengths of cable between the solar panel and the controller to find the sun.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
samlex, solar