Converter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Converter

Couple of simple questions about the converter that charges the batteries when on shore power:

1. Will it only work when the breaker in the main panel is "on"?
2. Is the breaker in the panel marked "converter box" the same thing as the "main breaker" in the owners' manual?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Hugh I had the same question, mines plugged in now but I have the battery switch off and all the breakers off.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
Hugh I had the same question, mines plugged in now but I have the battery switch off and all the breakers off.
I had mine plugged into shore power all night with the switch off and it didn't seem to change the battery condition so I'm trying it with the breaker in the on position now.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
1) With battery disconnect off - the ONLY thing connected to the battery(s) is factory solar. The battery(s) cannot be charged by the converter nor used to power anything.

2) There is a 30 amp breaker in the power panel. Turning it off will prevent any 120V power entering the trailer from the power cord.

3) There is a 15 amp (may be 20) breaker in the power panel which should be marked converter. Turning it off will stop the converter from providing 12V power to charge the battery and run things. The 12V battery will still provide 12V power.

To charge the battery from the mains you need:
Power cord plugged into live 120V outlet
Battery disconnect on
30 amp breaker on
Converter breaker on

To tow safely you need:
Battery disconnect on

Why would you ever turn off the breakers? I don't.

I turn off the battery disconnect for storage - I have the solar to charge/maintain the batteries and no 120V connection in storage.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
1) With battery disconnect off - the ONLY thing connected to the battery(s) is factory solar. The battery(s) cannot be charged by the converter nor used to power anything.

2) There is a 30 amp breaker in the power panel. Turning it off will prevent any 120V power entering the trailer from the power cord.

3) There is a 15 amp (may be 20) breaker in the power panel which should be marked converter. Turning it off will stop the converter from providing 12V power to charge the battery and run things. The 12V battery will still provide 12V power.

To charge the battery from the mains you need:
Power cord plugged into live 120V outlet
Battery disconnect on
30 amp breaker on
Converter breaker on

To tow safely you need:
Battery disconnect on

Why would you ever turn off the breakers? I don't.

I turn off the battery disconnect for storage - I have the solar to charge/maintain the batteries and no 120V connection in storage.
To quote the manual they gave me with the trailer:

"Do not plug in the shore power cord while under load. MAKE SURE ALL APPLIANCES ARE TURNED OFF AND THE MAIN BREAKER IS OFF PRIOR TO CONNECTING SHORE CORD. After plugging in the shore line, restore the main breaker to the "ON" position, then turn on the desired appliances."

I'm not shouting that is the way it is printed in the manual.

I think I figured it out, in order to charge the batteries from shore power the main breaker, converter breaker, battery disconnect and surge protector all have to be turned on.

Thanks for the info it was very helpful.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The caps in the manual are *mainly* CYA.

I have the factory power monitor/protection so I can completely ignore this warning. If you don't have it I strongly recommend getting an inline one. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55301-De...1Q3HTTD5NWN2Y0 or similar. If not, I recommend checking the park power quality before connecting.

I would suggest you be sure the water heater (if you have the electrical option) and air conditioner are off before connecting to 120V.

It IS good practice to turn off the 30 amp breaker on the park power pedestal before plugging in the trailer cord. Then turn the pedestal breaker back on.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote