CPAP Users - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
CPAP Users

Terry now has a CPAP. We mostly dry camp (no electric, water or sewer). For those who use a CPAP and dry camp how are you powering your CPAP?

According to what I'm reading online, we'll need .5 to 1 KW, or 40 to 80 ah's a night.

While we have a 2,000 watt whole house inverter and 200 ah's of lithium batteries I really don't want to run the inverter all night. Is 200 ah's of lithium enough?

We will have excess solar most days to charge a separate battery, so for efficiency, I'd rather have a separate battery. What stand alone batteries do you use?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 05-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I just plug into a 12 volt socket near the bed and let it run off my house battery. Never an issue nor a problem.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I’m a Cpap newbie myself. I have the Resmed Airsense 10 that can run on A 12v adapter. They also sell a side cover that replaces the humidifier tank and disables that feature. The power draw without the humidifier is about 9 watts. My mask is compatible with these humidity/heat exchangers which are good for about 5-7 days once opened and put in use. I tried them at home and didn’t notice any difference and was comfortable. Low power draw and I don’t need to take distilled water.
https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Moisture..._rpt_ba_s_2_sc
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Perry, I don’t think you’ll have a problem running a cpap off 200ah’s of lithium. It won’t cause so much of a drain that you won’t be able to make it up with solar, even if you’re shaded for a day or more.

A 12v adapter like others use will minimize the impact on battery capacity
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Hello Perry,

I have only used 1 CPAP so far. I have the factory installed 4 lithium batteries with the 1,500 watt inverter. I also have the new compressor fridge. I did not set the fridge to night mode as I wanted to see what it was like at night. The first two nights I left the humidification off and the heated tube off. With also running the fridge when it was in the 50's F at night I think it was about 26Ah I used both nights. The next camping outing was cooler in the 40's at night and still with the fridge not in night mode but I turned on the humidification and heated tube on and I believe it was the low 40's for Ah. Sorry it isn't just the CPAP running and the data is also tied with the compressor fridge. Oh, I ran the CPAP using the 120V outlets off the inverter. I didn't use the CPAP with a 12V adapter.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Hey Perry,

We have used two CPAP machines for the past few years. Started with a Phillips CPAP and now we have the ResMed Airsense with variable airflow. We currently run both on AC with the inverter. We previously ran both when we had the stock 225Ah (2 6V batteries), and now with two 100Ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries. In either case we did/do not draw the batteries down below 50 percent and have had no trouble.
Our new 21C has the Victron setup. On a typical night running the heater, CPAPs, and misc things like a phone charger and some lights, we might draw them down 30 to 35 percent, so I we are careful and get little to no solar, we could run them for 3 days, but have never had that happen.
We are looking to get the DC converter for our new ResMed APAP machines as it will be more efficient and we won't need to have the inverter on all night, and while not expensive, they are not cheap either.
Finally, I can't find the post, but someone in this forum posted a link to a ResMed page that had a power consumption chart. As I recall from the chart, the power consumption for our machines was around 30Ah per night or so for each machine.
So if you have to, I do not think you will have any issues running it off the inverter. You have plenty of Ah for that.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Perry,
I use a CPAP machine (Resmed Airsense 10 w/ heated humidifier & tube) at night in our E-21. I power it using the Inverter and a 115 V outlet in the trailer. The machine along with the furnace operating a some each night and the Maxair on low all night takes the dual 6V LA batteries down to 12.6-12.7 V overnight. I have never seen battery voltage below 12.6 V. So, you shoud have no problem with your 200 AH lithium set-up.

I will add though that I recently purchased a 12/24 V adapter so I won't have to run the inverter all night. I am in the process of upgrading to a 300 AH lithium battery so we won't have to be so frugal with our power usage when off-grid.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Terry now has a CPAP. We mostly dry camp (no electric, water or sewer). For those who use a CPAP and dry camp how are you powering your CPAP?

According to what I'm reading online, we'll need .5 to 1 KW, or 40 to 80 ah's a night.

While we have a 2,000 watt whole house inverter and 200 ah's of lithium batteries I really don't want to run the inverter all night. Is 200 ah's of lithium enough?

We will have excess solar most days to charge a separate battery, so for efficiency, I'd rather have a separate battery. What stand-alone batteries do you use?

Thanks,

Perry
You might consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G5ZNCL3

They come in a number of sizes and with or without the panels.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
CPAP on battery question

I use a rRes-Med air mini and power it with a Medistrom Pilot-24 Lite which is a lithium battery. The battery lasts two nights but I usually charge it up each morning on house batteries thru our 1000W inverter. It takes about 2-1/2 hrs to charge, we have 300 watts of solar panel on the roof so I've never had a problem. We just returned from 30 days in Northern BC and used this system every night. I've been using this system for two years now with no problems.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

We will have excess solar most days to charge a separate battery, so for efficiency, I'd rather have a separate battery. What stand alone batteries do you use?

Thanks,

Perry
I use a Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP on 12 volt using this cord JacobsParts 12V DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm Car Cigarette Lighter Power Supply Adapter Cable.

I used a CPAP before I ordered the trailer so I had a 12 volt socket installed next to the 120 volt outlet on the kitchen wall next to the bed. I also had an 8X13 countertop extension installed there. The 12 volt cable comes in 2.5', 5' or 10' lengths. I have the 2.5' for when I sleep in my normal direction on the bed, but, have the 10' in case I need to sleep with my head the other way.

I purchased the Z2 out of pocket after my Phillips Respironics was recalled. I finally received the replacement. I'll be keeping the Z2 for trailer use only now.

I had 2 six volt batteries and have one solar panel. I found that with the CPAP, I ended up having to use the generator more than I wanted when camped in shaded sites. I ended up installing 500ah of LiFePO4 batteries (one 300ah in the battery box, and 2 100ah under the drivers side dinette seat. Over kill, but, I didn't like having to run the generator daily.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:23 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
That power use seems high... I use a Devilbiss IntelliPap. It runs on 12V so no converters or inverters needed, and only uses about 1.3 amps (this is without humidifier, as I don't need one in the summer), so only 10-12 ah a night.

I have boondocked in the mountains for up to 4 nights running the furnace and CPAP on my two 100-ah AGM batteries (12V in parallel) with no charging at all, no problem.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I use the 12 -24volt inverter ResMed sells. without the humidifier hooked to the 2 6volt house batteries. never had a problem. The humidifier and heated house do draw much more, so if you plan to use them you would have to maybe add another battery. Most of use just dont use them. infact i have a side plate for my unit that goes in place of humidifier.
https://www.respshop.com/cpap-machin...er-p-1757.html
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:05 AM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
That power use seems high... I use a Devilbiss IntelliPap. It runs on 12V so no converters or inverters needed, and only uses about 1.3 amps (this is without humidifier, as I don't need one in the summer), so only 10-12 ah a night.

I have boondocked in the mountains for up to 4 nights running the furnace and CPAP on my two 100-ah AGM batteries (12V in parallel) with no charging at all, no problem.
Agree! In my original post I had the power consumption way too high!

On our first outing we ran Terry's AirSence 11 with the inverter for 120v and found it took nearly 20 amps to run without the humidifier running. Our inverter is a Progressive Dynamics 2,000 watt and was purchased for only short uses, not overnight. Seemed like too much draw, but perhaps much of this was just the inverter running all night and the three power conversions.

After that trip, we purchased a HKY AirSense 11 DC Adapter 65W 12V to 24V Car DC Converter and a Cigarette Lighter Extension Cord Plug 13FT - 14AWG for our 4th of July weekend with Terry's family, dry camping. Terry ran the humidifier and it took only 8-10 amps overnight. With no power draw running the inverter and two less conversions it was very efficient. Needless to say, we won't be running Terry's AirSense with the inverter.

The end of this month we go on a 11 day camping trip, dry camping 9 of those days, and will get a better feel for the AirSense's overnight amp consumption.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Perry