Diesel fueled space heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Lucky? The trailer has two propane tanks, and the furnace is plumbed for propane. Not convenient enough? What am I missing?
I agree. adding another type of heater is IMHO, a problem looking for a solution....
if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Lucky? The trailer has two propane tanks, and the furnace is plumbed for propane. Not convenient enough? What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I agree. adding another type of heater is IMHO, a problem looking for a solution....
if it ain't broke, why fix it?
PM15283 purchased his 5.0 around the same time David Murphy and I purchased out 5.0. Until David and I (plus many others) got the infamous "Sail Switch Problem" figured out those furnaces were extremely problematic, so we went without heat numerous nights.

We now have a properly manufactured sail switch that works, and it's been working perfectly for the past 2 1/2 years. However we still carry our Martin catalytic heater in case the Dometic furnace craps out again in the middle of the night.

We nearly installed a Propex heater in the 5.0. Had the newer sail switch not worked a Propex would have been our solution. Having been around diesel most of my life I know how inefficient most diesel products are, how diesel smells before and then after combustion, and how hard it is to get a diesel leak/spill from smelling.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
For those considering a diesel heater there is another heater to consider: Planar from Total Composites. Various models and features.

https://expeditionupfitter.com/colle.../diesel-heater
Old 03-10-2022, 05:34 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Diesel fueled space heater
Anyone have experience? I would mount a portable unit on the rear bumper and duct the heat into the dinette or dinette seating areas. No more issues with sail switches or elevation, or.....?

All advice welcome!

Phil Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Wonderful unsolicited advice. Full of false assumptions.
Our propane furnace has repeatedly failed us for three years. Quality repair shops get it working, then it fails when far away. I simply asked about sizing. My GMC TV needs refueling occasionally. I'll not use the contents of a 5 gal. gerry can faster than my truck tank.
With the heater mounted on the rear bumper and exhaust led away from the hot air tube how can CO become a problem? We have a CO detector already and I could add a backup. If it kills us I'll let you know.
The nerve of some people. You ask for advice, and then they give it.