Do companion generators increase cranking power? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Do companion generators increase cranking power?

Gathering info today for a "rescue AC" generator for our 21'. Not planning on running regularly, but we do have a child and may come into a situation (hopefully in an area away from others) where we'll need to at least cool off the camper for a short period.

In reading here, we've considered two Honda 2000i companion models, but the salesman told us that linking them won't increase starting power. Is this right? Should we be looking at a larger one instead of linking two? I know the AC/generator topic in general has been greatly discussed, so I don't intend to bother anyone by asking the same again, but I had trouble finding this specific answer.

Thank you!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Why not just purchase a Honda 2200 generator. It runs our AC just fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	33208
Old 08-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
In reading here, we've considered two Honda 2000i companion models, but the salesman told us that linking them won't increase starting power. Is this right?
That depends... what do you mean by "starting power"? If you mean the ability of the generator set to start an air conditioner, then yes the pair will have double the power and current capacity of only one, and so starting the air conditioner should be no problem at all.

Perhaps the salesman didn't understand the situation, or is just clueless about generators.

By the way, you don't need two Companion units - Honda's intention is that you use one regular EU2000i and one EU2000i Companion together. Maybe that's what you meant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Should we be looking at a larger one instead of linking two?
One large generator is simpler, and it may cost less, weigh less, and be more efficient than the pair of smaller units; however, if it has twice the output of an EU2000i it is a big and heavy thing to handle... and it's not possible to take just half of it when you don't need all of the power!

Of course one just-big-enough generator is the simplest solution, as Doug suggests.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As Brian alluded to, you don't use "two companion" models together. You use a regular generator AND a companion model together if you want to double the power.

I also agree that your best bet is the newer eu2200i, with 200 watts more output power than the 2000. It should start your AC without issue. If you ever want additional power, you can pick up a companion model and some parallel cables and you're done.

Trust me, it's much easier to lug around an eu2200i than the 3500 watt model. Note also in Doug's photo that he has a "bonded plug" in the unused receptacle. That's so you can use the Progressive EMS with the generator.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I also agree that your best bet is the newer eu2200i, with 200 watts more output power than the 2000. It should start your AC without issue. If you ever want additional power, you can pick up a companion model and some parallel cables and you're done.
I know a couple people that used the eu2000i to run the A/C with no issue. I think Reace has done so too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know a couple people that used the eu2000i to run the A/C with no issue. I think Reace has done so too.
Yep, me too. I've started the AC with an eu2000i, but only at low elevations. But if I were buying new, I'd go with the 2200. Always good to have that little bit extra power.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: none
Does anyone know the weight difference between the Honda 2000 and 2200?
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Does anyone know the weight difference between the Honda 2000 and 2200?
Both are reported to weigh "less than 47 lbs". I doubt you'd notice much difference between them.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Both are reported to weigh "less than 47 lbs". I doubt you'd notice much difference between them.

That's good to hear!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Another nice feature on the new Honda eu2200i is the fuel shutoff so you can run the carburetor dry for long term storage (previously an advantage of the Yamaha). I checked one out recently, and as you turn the ON/OFF knob around toward the "OFF" position, there is a stop position just before you turn off the electrical system. So, partial twist to "Fuel Off" position does just what it says, shuts off the fuel and it will continue running until the carburetor runs dry. Twist to full "OFF", and the generator stops immediately. I hope that makes sense. The dealer also recommended non-ethanol fuel if there was the possibility of long term storage. Non-ethanol gas can be hard to find and is more expensive, but he said it won't be as problematic in small gas engines stored for long periods of time (like back-up generators, snow blowers, etc.). We have a Honda eu2000i and really like it (mostly for back-up power to our home refrigerator and freezer when we lose power in a storm), and if it ever gives out, I wouldn't think twice about getting a Honda eu2200i to replace it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
We picked up a Westinghouse 2500 from Camping World this summer. Much lower cost than the Honda, claimed weight is 48 lbs. It has no problem running our AC.
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #12

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The dealer also recommended non-ethanol fuel if there was the possibility of long term storage. Non-ethanol gas can be hard to find and is more expensive, but he said it won't be as problematic in small gas engines stored for long periods of time (like back-up generators, snow blowers, etc.)..
I switched to using recreational fuel, (what they call non ethanol gas here) about 8 years or so ago. Before that I used to have to rebuild or tear down and clean the carburetors on the assorted small engines we have around here as they would get harder and harder to start. Since I changed over only had to work on one carb due to a float seat failure. And all still start easily. Gasohol seems to damage carburetors on small engines. You would think they would design them to cope with it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Gasohol seems to damage carburetors on small engines. You would think they would design them to cope with it.
Personally I wish they would ban the stuff. Very hard to find ethanol free gas here in South Texas, and it's the only thing I like to run in small engines. It's also hard to design the carbs of these tiny engines to cope with the alcohol/fuel separation and the resulting water and gum. Well, at least not without making small engine devices much more expensive.

When I can't find the ethanol free gas and I'm not going to run the engine till it's dry, I either drain remaining fuel into a container or add Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank. It does help. Seems to prevent the fuel from separating and the engines start much easier the next time they are used.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #14

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Personally I wish they would ban the stuff. Very hard to find ethanol free gas here in South Texas, and it's the only thing I like to run in small engines. It's also hard to design the carbs of these tiny engines to cope with the alcohol/fuel separation and the resulting water. Well, at least not without making small engine devices much more expensive.

When I can't find the ethanol free gas and I'm not going to run the engine till it's dry, I add Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank. It does help. Seems to prevent the fuel from separating and the engines start much easier the next time they are used.

An advantage of living in a place with lots of boats, few boaters here who know better use gasohol since it absorbs moisture. You do not want to be 15 miles or more off shore and have engine trouble. Those yellow sea tow boats are expensive. I noticed while up in Canada most stations did not have alcohol in their fuel. My truck was happy, gained 3 MPG and acted like the fuel was higher octane than it displayed on the pump.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Personally I wish they would ban the stuff. Very hard to find ethanol free gas here in South Texas, and it's the only thing I like to run in small engines. It's also hard to design the carbs of these tiny engines to cope with the alcohol/fuel separation and the resulting water and gum. Well, at least not without making small engine devices much more expensive.

When I can't find the ethanol free gas and I'm not going to run the engine till it's dry, I either drain remaining fuel into a container or add Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank. It does help. Seems to prevent the fuel from separating and the engines start much easier the next time they are used.
This may help:

https://www.pure-gas.org
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Thanks for the link. Yes, I'm aware of them, and have their app on my phone. Unfortunately the info isn't always accurate, or the place listed only sells to commercial customers.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I noticed while up in Canada most stations did not have alcohol in their fuel.
You may have just not been aware of the alcohol, or you're seeing the variation in fuel by region within the country... or perhaps you're using premium and only looking at that. For instance, essentially all regular gas in Alberta contains about 10% or more alcohol.

I am suspicious of the content in pure-gas.org. For instance, it shows that one - and only one - Shell station has alcohol-free regular gas... but it is exceptionally unlikely that one Shell station gets its fuel from a different source than all of the other Shell stations in the province. Shell's description of their gasoline distinguishes their premium as containing no ethanol, implying that their regular does contain ethanol. The error for this station was reported by a user 16 months ago (as shown in the station details) but the list is still wrong... which makes me wonder what else is wrong.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote