Do I need an inverter? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #81

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Carl remembers camping at age 12, my first memory is with my family at 14, at Killbear PP on Georgian Bay Lake Huron. We didn't even consider camping with power even if it was available. My dad set up multiple tarps to keep us dry while we slept in a nine by nine "tourist" tent, heavy canvas with centre pole. There were five of us and a dog in there. No wonder our stickie when we camped with our kids at 13 feet felt like a mansion and now just two of us in a 5.0TA is like a palace!

What really irks me about ON is the ridiculous price to camp there in provincial parks. In 1964 $1 per night, now with a basic site you pay over $40. Talk about inflation!!! We pay $15.75 for basic in MB mind you the showers take loonies but this summer in ON the showers were closed and the flush toilets as well at some parks. did they reduce camping fees, no way.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Carl remembers camping at age 12, my first memory is with my family at 14, at Killbear PP on Georgian Bay Lake Huron. We didn't even consider camping with power even if it was available. My dad set up multiple tarps to keep us dry while we slept in a nine by nine "tourist" tent, heavy canvas with centre pole. There were five of us and a dog in there. No wonder our stickie when we camped with our kids at 13 feet felt like a mansion and now just two of us in a 5.0TA is like a palace!

What really irks me about ON is the ridiculous price to camp there in provincial parks. In 1964 $1 per night, now with a basic site you pay over $40. Talk about inflation!!! We pay $15.75 for basic in MB mind you the showers take loonies but this summer in ON the showers were closed and the flush toilets as well at some parks. did they reduce camping fees, no way.
Adrian, if the cost of Ontario’s PPs annoys you, definitely stay off the toll road skirting Toronto (I believe the 407). $135 US to go from the east end to (I believe the 401) towing the trailer on my way to Alf’s house. Truly, highway robbery (pun intended). More than double what I expected. They bill by mail and it didn’t come until I was back home in Florida.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Adrian, if the cost of Ontario’s PPs annoys you, definitely stay off the toll road skirting Toronto (I believe the 407). $135 US to go from the east end to (I believe the 401) towing the trailer on my way to Alf’s house. Truly, highway robbery (pun intended). More than double what I expected. They bill by mail and it didn’t come until I was back home in Florida.
Carl, we are familiar with the 407. In 2004-2007 we lived in St. Catharines near Niagara Falls and Beth would drive to her mom's place north on the 400, so took the 407 from the beginning in Burlington all the way to the 400. We had the transponder so wasn't too pricy, at the time was about $11 one way.

You may have paid that much but at least avoided the 401 through Toronto which is usually always congested.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Carl, we are familiar with the 407. In 2004-2007 we lived in St. Catharines near Niagara Falls and Beth would drive to her mom's place north on the 400, so took the 407 from the beginning in Burlington all the way to the 400. We had the transponder so wasn't too pricy, at the time was about $11 one way.

You may have paid that much but at least avoided the 401 through Toronto which is usually always congested.
Given the circumstances, I would do it again. Rain was coming down in sheets and I did not want to chance the 401’s stop and go driving through Toronto. Gail’s cousin lived in St. Catherines for years, before her husband retired from GM and they moved up to the Archipelago. They have a beautiful place on a lake that is mostly bordered by crown land.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I was wandering on the issue of efficiency with lower power consumption from the 1500w invertor so I tested it with my eBike charger. When it’s drawing 186w (on the Kill-o-watt display) my Victron is showing a battery draw of 218w (trailer on battery power, solar charging disabled). This comes out to just over 85% efficiency, not 91% but still not bad. My conclusion is that for this type of load there is no reason to mess with additional devices and wiring, if your load is in the 50-100w range and running for many hours you may benefit from a small inverter.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #86

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
very informative thread for this newbie! I have had boats with similar systems as some of these nice campers. I'm a total novice, looking for a used 5.0TA.
It seems peeps are "out camping, roughing it" type stories from today and yesteryear. I have never spent a night in a tent or camper but I would think new member jphil23462 has everyone beat.....Ex navy SEAL probably has "camped" in places that non of us could even imagine.... No inverters, tents, barbecues,propane,toilet paper and other "Luxuries".... Of course he has been delivered by Private jet, Private Helo and fast yachts...... Of course you won't hear his stories around a camp fire. I hope I meet him and his family one day just to shake his hand and thank him for his service.
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #87

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
very informative thread for this newbie! I have had boats with similar systems as some of these nice campers. I'm a total novice, looking for a used 5.0TA.
It seems peeps are "out camping, roughing it" type stories from today and yesteryear. I have never spent a night in a tent or camper but I would think new member jphil23462 has everyone beat.....Ex navy SEAL probably has "camped" in places that non of us could even imagine.... No inverters, tents, barbecues,propane,toilet paper and other "Luxuries".... Of course he has been delivered by Private jet, Private Helo and fast yachts...... Of course you won't hear his stories around a camp fire. I hope I meet him and his family one day just to shake his hand and thank him for his service.
Of course, nothing would match up to the Navy SEAL experience or the service. As far as camping spots go, you couldn't do better than this famous place in the picture. We had to camp a bit further away because the camping charges were more than the cost of Escape 5.0 And, no private jet took us there. No shortage of bluetooth either, all of our teeth were blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Everest Basecamp.jpg  
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #88

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you read many of the threads / posts concerning inverters one would think that the propane appliances on an Escape are basically useless
If you run out of ideas on how to use your propane: Use a propane torch to start your charcoal powered Weber grill to produce a bed of hot coals to shovel into your microwave to reheat your pizza.

You're Welcome,
Alan

Oh, and someone kindly calculate the efficiency of the above. Thank you.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If you run out of ideas on how to use your propane: Use a propane torch to start your charcoal powered Weber grill to produce a bed of hot coals to shovel into your microwave to reheat your pizza.

You're Welcome,
Alan

Oh, and someone kindly calculate the efficiency of the above. Thank you.
Or you could use an inverter to run one of those electric charcoal starters if they are still being sold (I haven’t seen one i years!).
Old 10-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #90

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have never used an inverter and do not intend to start now......... There are multiple sources of energy available today as well as getting the right one you need.
I don't use an inverter either and would not even have a use for one as we have not brought any AC powered devices with us in our 7 years of Escape ownership. However, if you do require AC power and have no inverter handy, just bring along a 100 ft extension cord and plug into that pesky generator that your neighbor is running (there always seems to be one going somewhere)!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #91

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks all for helping us understand all of the ins and out of "Camping". Fifty years ago started camping with the children 5 & 6 years old with a 2 room tent, ice cooler, Coleman stove and a lantern. Back then my dream was to own a popup. For the 25 years we've had a 30 ft. sailboat with a charcoal grill, alcohol stove, ice box and a ordinary deep cycle battery.
3 years ago we bought our 2011 Casita that came with a Walmart wet lead acid deep cycle battery. I don't mind cooking on the propane stove or grilling.
All of our "camping" to date has been using shore power. If I do what John from Santa Cruz suggests and use only a 300 watt inverter and opt for the 190W solar panel and the Zamp solar Port, only using the battery for lights , water pump refrigerator electronics, charging cell phones and occasionally charging a laptop do I need the optional Dual 6v Lead Acid Batteries or would the Standard Deep Cycle Battery suffice?

I assume the Included deep cycle battery is wet. Does anyone Know?
Also are the 6v optional batteries Wet, AGM or Gel?
Thank you again for everyone's input.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the single battery in my first Escape and it would only last about 3 days. The dual volts are wet batteries and with the solar give you almost unlimited use. The solar and dual 6 volts are a great combo and some have gotten more than 5 years and still going. High recommended.....I have had them now in my last 3 Escapes......and they are still going strong with the new owners.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
I assume the Included deep cycle battery is wet. Does anyone Know?
Also are the 6v optional batteries Wet, AGM or Gel?
Yes, the factory-supplied lead-acid batteries (both single 12 V and dual 6V) are flooded (so, "wet"). Some Escape owners use AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries, but they have either changed to them after taking delivery, or have supplied them to the factory to be installed at delivery.

While AGM batteries are somewhat common in RVs, almost no one uses gel batteries now.

Escape announced recently that there is a new lithium-ion battery option available for 2021. While some existing Escape owners use lithium batteries, they were not supplied or installed by Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #94

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks for the prompt replies. I thought flooded batteries need to be vented to the outside.
Are the batteries for an E21 vented outside?
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #95

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes they are
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
'Camping' (sans inverter ) back when I was 61. Leisurely 4k miles road trip searching for warm sun in January. Found it in Key West, didn't miss the microwave, but did enjoy the electric heated riding gear on the way
Back when you were 61 that site for your tent on Key West was probably reasonable if not free. If they will even let you put a tent up on Key West today, probably would run you a couple a hundred bucks a nite.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I too went with a single Group 29 12V and Solar panel installed by Escape. It worked, just not that great. It was explained to me that you need somewhere to store the energy the panel(s) collect. 225 amp hours in the dual 6V vs. 95 for the single 12V is a significant difference. Luckily the $75 spent on the Group 29 over the stock Group 27 meant the larger battery box worked with the dual 6V I bought a year later. They are still working great 5 years later.

At some point a few years back ETI began requiring dual 6V with the Solar option. Probably got tired of hearing complaints.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #98

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Back when you were 61 that site for your tent on Key West was probably reasonable if not free. If they will even let you put a tent up on Key West today, probably would run you a couple a hundred bucks a nite.
Actually that campsite was in a state park a few miles up from Key West proper (Long Key SP, IIRC), I commuted from that base for a week while playing tourist all along the keys. I don't recall the reasonable state park fee.

But yeah, you're no doubt correct, fees for all of that are likely crazy now (and likely begging advance reservation, which I did not have).
Old 10-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #99

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Buy your wife a SS perk and a couple of pie iron waffle makers , start a campfire and you’re ready to go . Making waffles over a open campfire has a slight learning curve but you’ll will master the art in no time .
Good points Steve. Also the use of cast iron castings such as waffle makers, corn stick muffin makers, and of course both cast iron pots and cast iron camp ovens ( Dutch ovens) will let the user prepare dishes that are out of this World. They are heavy but with judicious planning, can be incorporated in the campers essential cookware. One does not have to take all the cast iron or the biggest cast iron on every trip. Pie iron pizzas, fruit “pies” And eggs of all types are possible with practice and care. Heck, Bacon and Eggs in a paper bag over a wood coals heat source is tasty and amazing at the same time as is egg on a stick, egg in an orange and egg baked in mud. My dad used to toast marshmallows on the lids from grandma’s wood stove. We didn’t know it at the time but it was a lifetime memory.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #100

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Good points Steve. Also the use of cast iron castings such as waffle makers, corn stick muffin makers, and of course both cast iron pots and cast iron camp ovens ( Dutch ovens) will let the user prepare dishes that are out of this World. They are heavy but with judicious planning, can be incorporated in the campers essential cookware. One does not have to take all the cast iron or the biggest cast iron on every trip. Pie iron pizzas, fruit “pies” And eggs of all types are possible with practice and care. Heck, Bacon and Eggs in a paper bag over a wood coals heat source is tasty and amazing at the same time as is egg on a stick, egg in an orange and egg baked in mud. My dad used to toast marshmallows on the lids from grandma’s wood stove. We didn’t know it at the time but it was a lifetime memory.
Iowa Dave
I still have 2 cast iron pie irons that were destined to be door prizes at the 2020 Mississippi River Rendevous . Hopefully they will still be good for the 2021 Rally
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote