Do I need an inverter? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 01:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I dont use my inverter very much. I do have a microwave and dont use it very much either. Is kinda nice when you have a use .... Need both together. My inverter now needs replacing ( $350 - $500 US for a 2000W). My quandry ... should I replace it or remove it and the micro? No micro = nice additional storage space. Would I miss not having a micro .... only I can answer that question and the line is busy.

Tom

If only someone would make a collapsible 12 V fold up microwave. So what's with the big, stupid, ugly, single use box? Sooooo you want to be a millionare? .....

Spring is coming ..... I hope!!
Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I too have a portable 300W inverter that I put a powerpole PP30 connector on its 12V input, and have a PP30 jack in the trailer fused at 30 amps. Mostly it gets used for charging things that don't have DC chargers, my wife's Dell XP15, and our ebike batteries.

Note that most of these '300W' inverters are really more like 150-200 watt sustained, and I try to stay under 100 watts actual load.

We hardly ever use a microwave even at home.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #23
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Having the option is some times a good thing

I know many do not need or want an inverter, heck I know some do not even need a good battery because they are always plugged in to shore power. The decision for the most part comes down to camping style. But living in the southwest has taught me to always be prepare for the unknown. Our 5.0 is part of our emergency preparedness plan, self contained refrigeration, heating, cooking, sleeping and yes power generation are very important to us in this ever changing environment.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have used our inverter more than once to power a few items in our home when the electricity goes off.