Dometic 8551 refrigerator door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Dometic 8551 refrigerator door

On my last trip, the door came off the hinges, and a small piece of plastic broke off. JB Wield to the rescue!!! Unfortunately, I should have put door back on THEN used glued plastic in place (not sure how well that would have worked though) because now I can't put door back on because top and bottom pins door sits on aren't retractable. Does anyone know how to remove these pins/how to reseat door?
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerFridge.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	25317

Picture attached shows door in place PRIOR to plastic piece glued back in. Wish I had glued it in place. Now I'm stuck.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have the Dometic RM8551. My door hinge is on the left side. Your picture doesn't seem to match my fridge. Guessing the pin on mine is on bottom of door. Here's how I was able to access my hinge connections. Open door and see two screws under there. Warning: It is then easy to bust the plastic tabs so use great caution wiggling the top cap out to get to the hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
DomH-1.jpg   DomH-2.jpg   DomH-3.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Hi,
Yes, yours is very different (though by looking at my fridge, it appears like most refrigerators it's designed so that door could be setup to open on either left or right side). My refrigerator doesn't have the switch I see in your picture but the tabs that slide is exactly the same and was how I was able to get door back on. Thank you so much for the reply. Happy Canada Day as all Escape owners are semi-Canadian at heart.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote