Dometic Americana 2-door refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Dometic Americana 2-door refrigerator

Any experience with the Dometic Americana 2-door refrigerator? This is the DM266x model that Escape has used the last few years, not the 8xxx models used previously.

1. How is the cooling in hot weather? Is an external fan needed? Does an internal fan help?

2. Any issues with the door hinge?

Thanks,
Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The exterior fan seemed to cause problems while using under tow. ETI suggested it to be used unless sitting still and even then it i questionable. Otherwise I'm not having any cooling issues with the new style refer.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello BillR.
Spent six weeks in the desert this spring temperatures in the day time was up to 88 F.
Ran the fridge on propane while driving and boondocking.Used electricity while staying in RV Parks or State Parks.Fridge ran like clockwork, no problem keeping cold, freezer solid, surprised actually that it worked so good, used mostly # 3 setting.Furnace at night for those cool night worked like a charm.Very happy with our 2017 21 footer.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
after about 22 days of camping plus a few days running at home.. mostly on propane (I'd say about 15 or so days) we are pretty happy with it. havent camped in really hot days much, highest we get was 95-ish and lowest was around 33F.. we didn't have external fan or internal fan.

The freezer temp is a little on the high side (at setting 5 it usually goes to about 8F but the fridge side will go to 32F or so) which makes the ice cream a little softer than we like, but popsicles turn out good and it's decent enough to make ice blocks.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We have the DM2663 on a 2017 21’ TT.
We bought the Texas Fan, but stopped using it after it was suspected in the fusible link issue.

The fridge set on “3” and have not had a cooling problem.

Propane is our choice when traveling or boon-docking, and switch to AC when we have shore power.

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to decide whether to include the external fan in the build.

We do spend time in Florida and other hot climates. We did have 45+ degree refrigerator temperatures in the 4.3cf RM8551 in our 19 (no fan). If the DM266x is really fine without the fan, great, but if not, now is the time to do it.

I did read all the fusible link posts (!) and do understand not to drive with the external fan on.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Our DM2663 works great but with one caveat. Above 4500 ft it struggles on propane. For some reason the gas will not stay lit continuously and it needs to be restarted often (this disclaimer is in the manual). I believe on electric there are no issues at altitude. Other than that I have been amazed at how good it cools AND recovers after you get something out, even in hot temps. We have the fan but would probably not get it again.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to decide whether to include the external fan in the build.

We do spend time in Florida and other hot climates. We did have 45+ degree refrigerator temperatures in the 4.3cf RM8551 in our 19 (no fan). If the DM266x is really fine without the fan, great, but if not, now is the time to do it.

I did read all the fusible link posts (!) and do understand not to drive with the external fan on.

Bill R
We stayed in Las Vegas last summer when it was 117 deg outside and the fridge kept frozen things frozen and cold things cold. We did not order the fridge fan as we felt that it was not needed - it seems we were right.

The whole Dometic Americana fan scenario started because Casita decided to install the fridge in violation of the Dometic install guidelines and the fan was added to compensate for the poor installation practices. Escape installs the fridges per Dometic installation guidelines and it works fine.

Because of the problems with air flow that the fan sometimes causes and blowing the thermal fuse, the fridge fan seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I would not order the fan.
Oh, and we are not going to stay in Las Vegas in the summer again!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The whole Dometic Americana fan scenario started because Casita decided to install the fridge in violation of the Dometic install guidelines and the fan was added to compensate for the poor installation practices.
Considering the Dometic Americana series will not physically fit through the door or rear window of a Casita, I wonder how they did that.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

The fan has a switch, so you can turn it off if you change your mind on it's performance enhancement.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
not had mine long but seems to work great both propane and elect. i did not buy a fan doesn't seem to need it. No issues with hinge.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Switch Location RML8555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The fan has a switch, so you can turn it off if you change your mind on it's performance enhancement.
Jim, we got our 2014 21' this month, with the fridge external fan option on the RML 8555.

I've read cautions about using this fan while traveling. Do you know the location of the switch for this fan? Are you aware of cautions while using the fan while traveling?

-Thanks
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #13

Yes, Reace recommended against using it unless sitting still. The switch is inside the refer rear compartment and is a red switch.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #14

Thanks for the quick response, Jim. I checked the build sheet of the previous owner and didn't find an external fan, so perhaps I don't have it.

On to the condensate reservoir threads.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That external fan, also referred to as "The Texas Fan" was at one time an option then became standard. Being sure it is off pertains to the Gen2 Americana Series, and not the RMD8555. The Americanas were blowing some special fuse and causing some folks to blow their own when the beer got warm
Old 06-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The RMD8555 have an external fan mounted as part of the refrigerator. It is controlled by a thermistor, several claims that it has the wrong setting and never goes on. I installed a switch, can’t say that running the external fan did much good. I think on this model an internal fan is better for 90+ temps.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Thanks for the quick response, Jim. I checked the build sheet of the previous owner and didn't find an external fan, so perhaps I don't have it.

On to the condensate reservoir threads.
Yes, there was a reservoir that seemed to keep things cooler when there was liquid which prevented warm air from entering the interior. Some of us put a loop in the tubing, if length was available, others put a balloon that had been cut off, creating a miniature hep valve that only opened when draining, otherwise the balloon lips kept warm air out.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #18

Rml8555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The RMD8555 have an external fan mounted as part of the refrigerator. It is controlled by a thermistor, several claims that it has the wrong setting and never goes on. I installed a switch, can’t say that running the external fan did much good. I think on this model an internal fan is better for 90+ temps.
Thank you. I found a reference to the external fan in the owners manual.

The fan continues to run on a hot day in Georgia for several/many minutes after the refrigerator is turned off.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21
We were in Big Bend in late April and it was over 100 several days. The fridge had trouble keeping the lower below 40. The drivers side was in the sun in the afternoon so that was 1 problem. I did find that if I removed the side cover that it helped a little.
Ordered and installed a Valterra Black A10-2618VP FridgeCool Exhaust Fan-12 Volt kit to help in the high heat areas.
BTW Big Bend NP is an amazing place. We plan on going back next year. A ranger said late February- early March will be cooler.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote