Dometic heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Dometic heater

We have a new 21C, 6 months old. Already, the Dometic heater has refused to run 3x. We use the trailer year-round.

Escape says not to bend the sail switch as some have suggested.

Has anyone replaced it with another heater that fits, at least roughly, the same space?

Appreciate any suggestions.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I have not seen anyone replace the Dometic furnace. Unfortunately there aren't any alternatives that I'm aware of that would be a direct replacement. The old Atwood Everest Star 8012-II used by Escape is no longer made. There are a few old stock 7916-II 16K BTU units left at Panther RV Products but it would take dimensional modifications to accommodate and they no longer sell the interior grille or exterior exhaust vent. Most of the Suburban options are all much higher BTU and designed to be ducted. The only one that looks to be somewhat close would be the Suburban NT-SEQ (16k BTU) but internal fitting and coordinating with existing Dometic vent and access door will undoubtedly be challenging. If you abandoned the existing location of the furnace you could consider a Propex HS2800 but that comes with a host of challenges including a new location, ducting, power, propane, etc. Unfortunately there is no easy solution that I am aware of.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
I also have a less than 1 year old 21C - heater just failed again for the 2nd time. .. after being in the shop and working just fine for 2 days...
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebike1 View Post
I also have a less than 1 year old 21C - heater just failed again for the 2nd time. .. after being in the shop and working just fine for 2 days...
We went thru the same thing. I got a new board and sail switch and no issues since. Not sure what the shop did but you might try what we did
Old 01-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
not aware of any units that will direct fit. I would replace sail switch. Have dometic send you new one under warranty unplug the control board and replug it in. sometimes they have a bad connection blow the unit out with compressed air. anywhere where air travels. I assume when you say it refused too light. it locked out. I assuming this is in your scope of repairs. If not you have to get into a dometic service center. sail switches are common on these but not always the problem. Just suggestions
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Thank you
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
We went thru the same thing. I got a new board and sail switch and no issues since. Not sure what the shop did but you might try what we did
I will try that . I need to contact Dometic again and get the parts on their way
Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
not aware of any units that will direct fit. I would replace sail switch. Have dometic send you new one under warranty unplug the control board and replug it in. sometimes they have a bad connection blow the unit out with compressed air. anywhere where air travels. I assume when you say it refused too light. it locked out. I assuming this is in your scope of repairs. If not you have to get into a dometic service center. sail switches are common on these but not always the problem. Just suggestions
I did not think of unplugging control board and replugging. I will try your suggestions and the compressed air. We used use compressed air on network servers and routers back in the day..
Old 01-20-2023, 04:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebike1 View Post
I did not think of unplugging control board and replugging. I will try your suggestions and the compressed air. We used use compressed air on network servers and routers back in the day..
Then clean up from behind the inside face cover, on mine it had some remains from the build. Then look and see if you have any gaps in between the walls. I had a huge one which lead directly to spaces behind the cabinets and walls.
The hardest to solve problem with hvac I ever encountered was due to improper air intake. A piece from the attic came loose and dirty hot summer air was being drawn directly into the cold air return.
The second was also due to airflow, improper filters were being used-pets require using an upgrade. Clogged up things good, but it couldn’t be seen without tearing the a-coil apart. On both all the usual testing came out positive, yet things still weren’t happening correctly.

I just spent the afternoon repairing a refrigerator defrost leak. It’s under two years old but just a little bit of grime in the right spot was all it took. Keep it clean…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote