Drain fresh water - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2024, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Drain fresh water

I assume you just turn the stopcock to drain the tank? If so itís not working 😟
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4879a.jpg  
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Turn it slowly and when it starts draining stop. Honestly, mine only needs to be turned 1/4 turn and if I turn it as you show (and that SHOULD be right) it won't drain. I have a new stopcock and will replace it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:26 PM   #3

That’s the first time I tried to drain it and it’s defective? ETI is going to hear from me
Old 06-21-2024, 06:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
Thatís the first time I tried to drain it and itís defective? ETI is going to hear from me
It's a $6 part. Careful of your blood pressure.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
That’s the first time I tried to drain it and it’s defective? ETI is going to hear from me
How long have you owned the trailer? You should be draining it after each trip, at least I do.

It's not defective if there is sediment or you let it freeze and it broke. It's a sacrificial, consumable part.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:51 PM   #6

Could be sediment I suppose. Doesn’t freeze where I live. So if it’s just sediment then it’s not broken. How do I clear the sediment out?
Old 06-21-2024, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Definitely go a little slower in your willingness to jump in and bash ETI over something like this.

Unlike some ball valves where when the handle is lined up with the flow, it's in the open position. In this case it's counter-intuitive, the position yours is in now is the closed position. A 90* turn to the right should getting it draining.

If not, and you've in a year never drained it, yes, could be some sediment in it.

Suggest turning it 90*, poking a toothpick size splinter in it and see if it starts draining. In not I'd give it a shot of air, either by a compressor of putting a piece of plastic tube on it and blowing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:18 PM   #8

Not meaning to bash ETI but our trailer has had a lot of little things I had to fix that I don’t think should be an issue on such an expensive trailer. It’s a great product and we love it. If this is just operator malfunction then I’m willing to have my portion of humble pie. ��
Old 06-22-2024, 05:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 21
If you have a outside shower option, till you get this fixed just turn on your water pump and empty the water tank that way
Old 06-22-2024, 06:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Not meaning to bash ETI but our trailer has had a lot of little things I had to fix that I donít think should be an issue on such an expensive trailer. Itís a great product and we love it. If this is just operator malfunction then Iím willing to have my portion of humble pie. ��
Fortunately, you didnít choose to go with a Sitckie rather than an Escape. You would have likely had a lot more and bigger things to fix. But in any case, all trailers require maintenance and ďcorrections,Ē just some more than others. FWIW, ETI does not manufacture the fresh water tank or its drain valve. Nor does it manufacture a variety of its components or appliances. When my Dometic refrigerator died, I replaced it. When my Thetford toiletís flush valve started leaking, I repaired it. Stuff happens, and most of it is usually easily addressable.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Here’s a little harmonized ditty by the Ink Spots
https://www.google.com/search?q=ink+...IjlpGGZnc,st:0
You’re Welcome
Iowa Dave
Old 06-22-2024, 01:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I need to turn my fresh water drain 180 degrees to drain. After 6 years, I had to replace the original which was very difficult to turn. It finally broke. New one turns even harder! But…both required a near 180 degree turn, so that the handle pointed to trailer’s rear bumper. Course, this is on a 2017 E19, and the drain is located on the lower front driver side corner of the fresh tank, so it is pointed at me when I look under the driver side just behind the back wheel.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoDeltaRomeo View Post
How long have you owned the trailer? You should be draining it after each trip, at least I do.
I sanitize the tank and line first thing in the spring before heading out. After that I never drain the water as there is no reason too. I just top it up out of our tap before heading out again. Stays fine for drinking or cooking with. I do drain it out in the fall when winterizing.

If for any reason I had to put water in that was not the tastiest I will dump as soon as I can get some good stuff in there.
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 03:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I sanitize the tank and line first thing in the spring before heading out. After that I never drain the water as there is no reason too. I just top it up out of our tap before heading out again. Stays fine for drinking or cooking with. I do drain it out in the fall when winterizing.

If for any reason I had to put water in that was not the tastiest I will dump as soon as I can get some good stuff in there.
On our pre-Escape, we would empty the water in the tank and lines before dumping as I didn't want to haul extra weight on the road.

We are new to Escape (first trip this week) and will likely do the same. I probably won't have to use the valve on each trip, but will definitely drain it (old trailer had low point valves) before storing for the winter. I ordered an extra valve/anode to have on hand and store it with other winterizing/water related items in a tote under the bed.

We have spent the past few days cleaning, sanitizing interior. Fixing the odd latch. Washing floors and bathroom. Torqued wheels. Lubed stabilizers and steps (also added carpet for doggo). Replaced anode rod. And a few other things.

Super excited to camp in it.
BravoDeltaRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 03:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I assume you just turn the stopcock to drain the tank? If so itís not working 😟
When Iím installing a new residual hot water heater I will do an upgrade on the drain valve.
As they age a bit the valve most of them come with can fail, they tend to be the cheapest ones the manufacturer can find.
If you replace the valve while itís relatively new it backs right out, as opposed to the trouble one thatís been used for a few years may give you.

Also my new one drains way quickerÖ
Attached Thumbnails
E69E544E-696A-4E5D-BC15-196E9DE4DADA.jpg   B6D02190-6A4D-43A4-840E-7F0AB79A97F7.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I took our 5.0TA out of storage last spring and went about sanitizing the fresh tank. When it was time to drain the tank the valve was seized and the handle broke off. I replaced the plastic 3/8" valve with a 1/2" ball valve hoping it would help the tank drain faster. It didn't help, it still takes 21 minutes to drain a full tank of fresh water.

The valve may look like it sticks down below the insulation but it doesn't, that is just camera angle.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
When Iím installing a new residual hot water heater I will do an upgrade on the drain valve.
As they age a bit the valve most of them come with can fail, they tend to be the cheapest ones the manufacturer can find.
If you replace the valve while itís relatively new it backs right out, as opposed to the trouble one thatís been used for a few years may give you.

Also my new one drains way quickerÖ
That lower tap is a good one. If you don't go with male threads on it I would suggest using a close nipple to minimize length, thus reduce the chance for it to get hooked.

Mine is a 90 with male pipe threads.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape Tank Drain.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	75191
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-22-2024, 08:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
For the malfunctioning tap, just unscrew it from the tank. Yes, will get a little wet but only sugar melts when it gets wet

We drain after every trip. Weíre pretty good at knowing what our water usage is so there isnít much waste. Usually carry drinking water separate from fresh supply in the trailer.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
We drain after every trip. Weíre pretty good at knowing what our water usage is so there isnít much waste. Usually carry drinking water separate from fresh supply in the trailer.
Is your water not potable. We just use tap water here in Calgary as it is good stuff. I have been to places in the Southern US where we buy filtered water to put in the tanks. It is just so nice to be able to drink right out of the tap.

I see you live just north of Lava Hot Springs. I love the pools there. I am one who loves hot water to soak in and the hottest pool there sees me sit out after a few minutes for a bit. We like to stop there on our way south or back north too. KOA campground there is nice or or the Walmart overnight in Idaho Falls if driving through.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:30 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is your water not potable. We just use tap water here in Calgary as it is good stuff. I have been to places in the Southern US where we buy filtered water to put in the tanks. It is just so nice to be able to drink right out of the tap.

I see you live just north of Lava Hot Springs. I love the pools there. I am one who loves hot water to soak in and the hottest pool there sees me sit out after a few minutes for a bit. We like to stop there on our way south or back north too. KOA campground there is nice or or the Walmart overnight in Idaho Falls if driving through.
Our water is potable. Separating drinking water from regular use water is a habit we got into with our first camper, a StarCraft we rescued from a field. Never trusted its water system (and most other stuff about it for that matter, but it was free) so we have always kept our drinking water separate and drain what little is usually left in the fresh tank after every trip. Old habits are hard to break for the OCD.

If you are ever passing through Idaho Falls, send us a note. We'd be happy visit with you. The Walmart is only about 3 miles from our house. Also, check out Cal Ranch right next door to the Walmart. If Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply and a feed store had a baby, it would be Cal Ranch.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote