Dri-Dek? Bamboo floor mat? What for shower floor? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Dri-Dek? Bamboo floor mat? What for shower floor?

Hi all

What do people like for a floor in the shower?

If you use one, that is.

On our Casita we used Dri-Dek and it was nice as any small amount of mud from shoes when daytime potty usage (especially when towing) just fell under the Dri-Dek.

And would tend to just get washed away when he next shower happened.

I think I have seen some folks here use a bamboo shower mat?

Or ?

And in the long term - what do people think might hurt the floor less?

We do want to put something down, so no use trying to convince us not to.

;-)

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi all

What do people like for a floor in the shower?

If you use one, that is.

On our Casita we used Dri-Dek and it was nice as any small amount of mud from shoes when daytime potty usage (especially when towing) just fell under the Dri-Dek.

And would tend to just get washed away when he next shower happened.

I think I have seen some folks here use a bamboo shower mat?

Or ?

And in the long term - what do people think might hurt the floor less?

We do want to put something down, so no use trying to convince us not to.

;-)

John
Hi John a vote for Dri-Dek. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I will likely build a teak one. They can be bought in all sizes too, then cut to size.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will likely build a teak one. They can be bought in all sizes too, then cut to size.
That's what I did. Looks really good, basically maintenance free, and comfortable underfoot. I custom fit it by cutting it down, creating a notch for the wheelwell, and re mounting one of the rails, and the support feet underneath. To make the finish uniform, I just used some teak oil on the cut areas.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's what I did. Looks really good, basically maintenance free, and comfortable underfoot. I custom fit it by cutting it down, creating a notch for the wheelwell, and re mounting the support feet underneath. To make the finish uniform, I just used some teak oil on the cut areas.

That looks awesome.

And easy on the feet, as you said

My wife is asking "how much did that cost?"

Did you buy a ready made one, and cut it down?

If yes - do you have a web link?

:-)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi John a vote for Dri-Dek. Pat
As a side note . Do have a solid teak bench in one of my showers at home , there is eventually maintenance to teak . Will need some cleaning and it needs to be reoiled to keep the waterproofing , hope I am saying that correctly . Anyway as you know the Dri- Dek , not so . Your trailer , your final decision though . Pat
Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
That looks awesome.

And easy on the feet, as you said

My wife is asking "how much did that cost?"

Did you buy a ready made one, and cut it down?

If yes - do you have a web link?

:-)
I picked up a Sea Teak matt on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A7728..._iRFzyb8R9E0CC

Making it fit the bathroom floor in our 19 was very easy. First, cut it to the proper length on the long side. It's easier if you just leave it assembled, since the support rails and screws will keep the slats straight during cutting. Once I had the length correct, I cut just enough of the slats a shorter length to accommodate the wheelwell, cut the support rail from the removed piece down to size, and remounted it on the end. There were little rubber support feet on the rails which I also relocated. Whole thing took about 15 minutes to do. When you price out a custom sized teak matt, you quickly realize it's easier and much more affordable to just get a larger one and modify it.

As for "maintenance", there really is no need to refinish it with teak oil as some have mentioned, unless you want to keep the original appearance. Teak will gray some over time and many people prefer that patina. It's not waterproof, but teak contains natural oils which make it stand up to water exposure where other woods split, warp or rot.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For us it's to keep dirt from getting ground in like it did t of our last trailer. We use dri-dek. Not real comfortable on the bare feet.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For those using anything wood, have you noticed any scuffing of the shower pan gel coat?

I just use an old towel on the shower floor. Easy to pickup and shake when it gets pine needles, dirt on it. Warm on bare toes during those midnight walks. I have an extra small rug that matches the aisle way runner, I'll eventually cut it to fit the shower pan. In the meantime, the old towel works just fine. Dri-Dek hurts my fet.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I just use a rubber bathtub mat. It has like little holes and sand and whatnot passes through. When it is time to clean just a little soap water, then let it drip dry over a line or lay flat in driveway. I bought a reg size bath mat and cut it in half. Now i have two, so i am set for awhile. ++it is very light and easy to take in and out, i do not use when camper is in storage mode. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have used the teak mat method in all 3 of my Escapes, there are clear rubber feet on the bottom which elevates the mat off the floor, no marring, no scratches. Remove the mat and wipe up any dirt or just flush down the drain. The mat is not cold on your feet in the middle of winter and it gives a finished look to the floor.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have used the teak mat method in all 3 of my Escapes, there are clear rubber feet on the bottom which elevates the mat off the floor, no marring, no scratches. Remove the mat and wipe up any dirt or just flush down the drain. The mat is not cold on your feet in the middle of winter and it gives a finished look to the floor.
Well put. Ours doesn't touch the gelcoat anywhere, because of the little rubber feet on the bottom rails.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That teak looks great. I may have to do that. Meanwhile, found this, at Home Depot, I think, and went low-rent. Cut it to fit. Feels good, especially on cold mornings. Helps us keep our bare-footing in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
That teak looks great. I may have to do that. Meanwhile, found this, at Home Depot, I think, and went low-rent. Cut it to fit. Feels good, especially on cold mornings. Helps us keep our bare-footing in there.
Nothing wrong with that solution Myron. The Microban in the rubber means it won't mildew either. I would keep an eye on the floor underneath though, for any discoloration caused by the matt. Keep a good coat of wax on the floor maybe.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Has anyone tried custom-cutting a piece of this Rug Pad rug underlay stuff? Comes in several colors (white, black, beige if they stock it) in rolls of various widths and lengths (if they stock it) - relatively inexpensive. Just curious. It sticks down well and stays in place on dry gel coat. Not sure if it will stick or slide on wet gel coat like on a shower floor.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...ug-Pad/3915293
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing about the teak floor is it allows dirt to fall below, some of these mats mentioned appear to have too small openings thus trapping more than allowing to escape below. Just my $.02 worth observation.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The nice thing about the teak floor is it allows dirt to fall below, some of these mats mentioned appear to have too small openings thus trapping more than allowing to escape below. Just my $.02 worth observation.
Is that $.02 CAD or $.02 USD?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
$.02 USD = $.03 CAD. But since we no longer have pennies, it would round up to a nickel.
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

With the Rug Pad product, I was thinking more about non-slip and warmth to bare feet when using the bathroom at night. We try to not track too much chunky dirt into the camper that would end up on the bathroom floor. We let an outside shoe scraper step handle that chore as best as possible, or just leave really dirty outside shoes outside and change to slip-on mocks for inside. I'm sure we're not alone in that....
Old 12-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
With the Rug Pad product, I was thinking more about non-slip and warmth to bare feet when using the bathroom at night. We try to not track too much chunky dirt into the camper that would end up on the bathroom floor. We let an outside shoe scraper step handle that chore as best as possible, or just leave really dirty outside shoes outside and change to slip-on mocks for inside. I'm sure we're not alone in that....
If you don't clean the teak mat and reoil it will get ugly white spots on the wood from the water . The Dri-Dek has never damaged the floor of shower . The holes are large enough for water and small dirt debris to pass through . Comes in several colors . Never slippery . Doesn't hurt our feet and we are 70 . A lot cheaper to purchase then teak . 20 to do bottom of shower . Have a teak shelf in shower but don't stand on it with my dirty shoes . You also wouldn't at home if you had mat . Ours has been in shower 3 years . Also have a wood cabinet but the Dri-Dek is what we use for floor . Pat